Boots

mingiz

Horse Poor
Has anyone tried the mac boots or others. I pulled fat ponies shoes off for the winter and she has been tender since. I wanted to get her some protection.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Boas I hear are really nice..may be a good idea for her...join that paso group and do a search there...they have talked about it alot

R

remaxrealtor

mingiz said:
Has anyone tried the mac boots or others. I pulled fat ponies shoes off for the winter and she has been tender since. I wanted to get her some protection.
:howdy: Hi you!!!! Paso brought me Al's papers today, so we're official! Now a two horsey household.

Do these boots go under the frog? I have a set of bell boots you're welcome to try, haven't used them since Lou learned not to lay on his hoof. :lmao:

Anyways, your if you want em....Oh, but they're purple! :killingme

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
:howdy:..............thanks for paying him off :lmao:

Mingiz needs something to protect the sole and frog until the old gal tuffens up..

R

remaxrealtor

Pasofever said:
:howdy:..............thanks for paying him off :lmao:

Mingiz needs something to protect the sole and frog until the old gal tuffens up..

You're welcome!

I figured that was the deal....or is it the purple!!!!! :whistle:

fredsaid2

Another option to help acclimate her back to bare feet is Keratex Hoof Hardener. Elam carrys the Keratex products now. The Hardener penetrates the hoof wall, it strengthens and hardens the hoof. Also keeps the hoof from absorbing excess moisture but allows it to breath. It can't be used on the frog or heels but the Gel (a sealer only) can. I was also interested in the Boa boots a while back but ended up shoeing. Sounds like a great product though.

Keratex

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
When I got Vence he had shoes...I pulled them and he was sore sore that summer..I did the terpentine thing to his soles and walked him on rocks etc. It has now been over a year and his feet are like ROCKS and he can go anywhere..

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Pasofever said:
Boas I hear are really nice..may be a good idea for her...join that paso group and do a search there...they have talked about it alot
BOAs?? I would have thought a cat would be about the right size, besides isn't snake skin expensive? Cat's are like a dime a dozen

Tazgirl

I used BOA's on an Arab I used to have the helped her a lot her hooves had been cut to short and they made a great difference in her pain level until her hooves grew back to normal. Matter of fact they are just sitting in my barn now collecting dust...

Taz

DQ2B

The Boa's are probably the most user friendly but be careful not to tighten the dial too much if you go with them as it can put pressure on the coronary band. Also, they don't come with drain holes (or at least they didn't when they first came on the market) so you'll have to drill some. The easyboot epics or easyboot bares are also really good but harder to put on and usually need some tweaking. In any case, I wouldn't leave any boot on continuously from day to day. Check the trim and the condition of the hooves as well. Is there any white line separation? Any Flare or frog deterioration? These can cause lots of ouch.

mingiz

Horse Poor
:
DQ2B said:
The Boa's are probably the most user friendly but be careful not to tighten the dial too much if you go with them as it can put pressure on the coronary band. Also, they don't come with drain holes (or at least they didn't when they first came on the market) so you'll have to drill some. The easyboot epics or easyboot bares are also really good but harder to put on and usually need some tweaking. In any case, I wouldn't leave any boot on continuously from day to day. Check the trim and the condition of the hooves as well. Is there any white line separation? Any Flare or frog deterioration? These can cause lots of ouch.

The mare has great feet, no white line etc......I just wanted her to be more comfy until her feet harden up some. I use veinice of turpentine now. But with all the wetness it doesn't work as well. She would only wear them when out in the pasture as she is stalled at night. Thanks for the advice... :howdy:

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
mingiz said:
:

The mare has great feet, no white line etc......I just wanted her to be more comfy until her feet harden up some. I use veinice of turpentine now. But with all the wetness it doesn't work as well. She would only wear them when out in the pasture as she is stalled at night. Thanks for the advice... :howdy:

No not in the pasture she would NEVER toughen up....you can also put pea gravel around your water tank etc...only use them when you ride...gotten get some action to the foot to toughen it up...keeping them covered when out will NOT help

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Pasofever said:
No not in the pasture she would NEVER toughen up....you can also put pea gravel around your water tank etc...only use them when you ride...gotten get some action to the foot to toughen it up...keeping them covered when out will NOT help
i agree with Paso here. You have to acclimate their feet to the rocks. We have 2 that are naturally tender footed. And the ground has been so stinkin' wet...it's awful. I don't think my leopard mare will ever have tough feet like my others, hers are also white not black. Black feet seem to be harder for some reason.

Mingiz Has the horse ever been without shoes? It will take some time for her to acclimate. I tried some Farriers friend on my Leopard mare, and she got pretty juiced up on that. I wouldn't recommend that stuff. The stuff fredsaid recommended sounds like something to try though. I've tried the turpintine, for the leopard mare, it didn't seem to do much for her, but i may not have been consistent enough with it.

To me boots are expensive, and so easy to loose...it may not be worth the effort. Just riding her without shoes should toughen her up if possible. Be aware of more potential for stone bruising and subsequent abcesses this first year barefoot. That should improve if you've not had issues with them previously.

Last edited:

DQ2B

Going barefoot and getting through a winter without shoes are two different things. If you're just gettin' through the winter then boots, turpentine, keratex, etc. will probably get you there. If you're taking this horse barefoot permanently and expect high performance from him then it's a whole lot more involved. You would need a proper trim, proper foot form, proper stimulus, varied terrain (suited to the stage that the horse is capable of at the moment and working from there), correct diet, movement, lifestyle and time.