Bopping about Europe and Scandinavia

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Just spent a few days in Esbjerg, Denmark, going offshore each day for customer demos and machinery trials after some repairs. Now headed to Ostend, Belgium (about 20 hours at 18 knots cruise speed) and from there to an offshore windfarm, out and back each day for a while.

Unusually nice late-summer weather....this ain't too bad.

Clem72

Did you have to transport or did you fly in and use equipment already positioned? Either way <del>I hate you</del> hope you have a nice time.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Did you have to transport or did you fly in and use equipment already positioned? Either way <del>I hate you</del> hope you have a nice time.

I just fly in with a tool kit (sometimes) and my laptop (always), depending on the situation. In this case, I'm "tuning" the stabilizers for various conditions and all that task requires is my laptop connected to the control system and time underway.

We fish off the stern a lot....or when in port, we have to check out every pub. I hate that part. :razz:

Headed here.

http://www.nobelwind.eu/

Last edited:

littlelady

God bless the USA
Just spent a few days in Esbjerg, Denmark, going offshore each day for customer demos and machinery trials after some repairs. Now headed to Ostend, Belgium (about 20 hours at 18 knots cruise speed) and from there to an offshore windfarm, out and back each day for a while.

Unusually nice late-summer weather....this ain't too bad.

I am curious as to what you are seeing in your travels. How is the environment, as in the atmosphere of terrorist threats, or the over all thinking and demeanor of the people you meet. I wouldn't even consider traveling overseas right now. Just wondering.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I am curious as to what you are seeing in your travels. How is the environment, as in the atmosphere of terrorist threats, or the over all thinking and demeanor of the people you meet. I wouldn't even consider traveling overseas right now. Just wondering.

After a 25-hour run from Denmark, just arrived in Oostende. Delightful old port city but suffering from permanent recession having lost most of the port industries in the last couple decades (fishing, ship building and ship repair, and cargo handling...all pretty much gone forever). About nothing left but tourism and the offshore windfarm industry (why I'm here). So we get treated great. Better than great, even.

After a 25-hour run from Denmark, just arrived in Oostende. Delightful old port city but suffering from permanent recession having lost most of the port industries in the last couple decades (fishing, ship building and ship repair, and cargo handling...all pretty much gone forever). About nothing left but tourism and the offshore windfarm industry (why I'm here). So we get treated great. Better than great, even.
Shoulda taken a train or taxi or something. All that running is tough on the sneakers.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Shoulda taken a train or taxi or something. All that running is tough on the sneakers.

All that running is what keeps me so lean and mean. ;-p

Although after the dinner I just had at Arno's, I'm going to have to run another 25 hours.

Last edited:

littlelady

God bless the USA

You didn't really answer my questions. I hope you have a safe trip back.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Yes I did. Not so much as a hint of stress around here. Delightful..all around.

:doh: I should have known that because you didn't mention anything about terrorism where you are. :lol: It is good to know that some of the World is still a pleasant place. I guess I have become a cynic. Have you seen Pollyanna? I can't find her anywhere.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
:doh: I should have known that because you didn't mention anything about terrorism where you are. :lol: It is good to know that some of the World is still a pleasant place. I guess I have become a cynic. Have you seen Pollyanna? I can't find her anywhere.

I might have seen her in Flanagans Pub off of Lang street...er..no..that probably wasn't her...missing too many teeth.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
A day off. Wandered the waterfront checking out old German shore fortifications. Bucket of mussels, chips and beer at a streetside café...

Oostende is a very nice old historic town, in spite of their very depressed economic condition. Seeing the many ferry terminals out of commission and decaying is depressing.; not a single line is still operating out of the half dozen or so that once did; I remember when this placed rocked with the ferry activity, before the Chunnel and the EU. Lots of places for rent pretty cheap too. The rapidly growing offshore wind power industry is the only "growing concern" here and is probably the only thing between bad economic times and total collapse for this cities' old port.