Border Agents Detained a 9-Year-Old U.S. Citizen for 30+ Hours

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
That's where Julia ran into trouble. While she has a passport card, the picture on it was taken when she was younger. Customs agents believed she was impersonating her cousin, Galaxia tells KNSD. The agents also accused Oscar of smuggling, the children say.

"My daughter told her brother that the officer told her that if she admitted that she was her cousin, she would be released soon so she could see her mom," Galaxia tells KNSD. "He was told that he would be taken to jail and they were going to charge him for human trafficking and sex trafficking."

Galaxia eventually got in touch with the Mexican consulate, and she was reunited with her children Tuesday evening. The entire ordeal took about 36 hours, KNSD reports.

The government does not deny that this happened. An agency spokesperson tells KNSD that Julia was detained because she "provided inconsistent information during her inspection."

Just confess, everything will be ok.

Hijinx

Let's see if I have this right, please bear with me.

These children are anchor babies living with their mother in Tijuana.
Mom slipped over the border at some time or other and had these children, making them citizens born in America.
Now the kids are sent across the border to take advantage of America's free education system.
They probably come across for our free health care too, and what other benefits.?

It's ok it's all legal I assume.

So on this day they decided to walk across and some Border agent or guard who didn't understand what was going on detained her.
He was just doing his job and stepped into this mess.
And Yes: It is a mess.
Don't know why it took such a long time to figure out what was going on, but I don't see where the agent doing his job was at fault.

BOP

Let's see if I have this right, please bear with me.

These children are anchor babies living with their mother in Tijuana.
Mom slipped over the border at some time or other and had these children, making them citizens born in America.
Now the kids are sent across the border to take advantage of America's free education system.
They probably come across for our free health care too, and what other benefits.?

It's ok it's all legal I assume.

So on this day they decided to walk across and some Border agent or guard who didn't understand what was going on detained her.
He was just doing his job and stepped into this mess.
And Yes: It is a mess.
Don't know why it took such a long time to figure out what was going on, but I don't see where the agent doing his job was at fault.
He was at fault because he was racist.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Okay, fine, I'll say it:

So?

In this story we have a mother who sent her young daughter across the border with no adult supervision, and with an outdated passport no less. So whose fault is it when the little girl is detained?

And then there's this from the story:

It's an agency that boarded a bus in New Mexico and asked passengers one by one, "Are you a citizen?"

So? Is it really so traumatic to have someone ask you if you're a citizen? Answer: it is if you're not a citizen and not supposed to be there.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Our border agent yesterday didn't know the 2 letter abbreviation for Maryland. He thought it was MY. When his computer protested he asked us what it was. I'm pretty confident this guy wasn't his class' valedictorian.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm pretty confident this guy wasn't his class' valedictorian.

Or maybe he was :really:

But now I'm questioning the veracity of this story. Where did they keep the girl for 36 hours? Did she get food and something to drink? Where did she sleep? When she didn't come home, did the mother inquire with Border Patrol and try to find her?

I'm not a fan of stories that generate questions because they're clearly skewed to lead the reader in an emotional direction.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Also, who were the children detained by: US border agents or Mexican ones? It is presumed that the horrible evil Americans victimized them, but story doesn't actually say that. The tactics described sound more like something Mexican cops would do.

Midnightrider

Okay, fine, I'll say it:

So?

In this story we have a mother who sent her young daughter across the border with no adult supervision, and with an outdated passport no less. So whose fault is it when the little girl is detained?

And then there's this from the story:

It's an agency that boarded a bus in New Mexico and asked passengers one by one, "Are you a citizen?"

So? Is it really so traumatic to have someone ask you if you're a citizen? Answer: it is if you're not a citizen and not supposed to be there.

Hey sweets, her passport was not outdated. It had a photo that was a few years old, just like most people’s. That doesn’t equal outdated.