Bow Hunters

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
Hey you Bow Hunters, what kind of bow do you shoot? I use to bow hunt about 5 years ago and life changed and I got out of it and pretty much gave all my equipment away. Kid brought me a tote he found in the garage that had a bunch of accessories in it so now I am thinking about buying a bow and starting over and want to know what people are shooting and what they think of that brand........

bulldog

BowTech Commander for me and that is a change from Hoyt. I have had it for 3 seasons, killed more deer than I want to stop and count and have had no problems with it.

Honestly, it's not about the brand...they all make good bows. It's more about what is best for you as far as fit, comfort, if you like the looks (yes, that matters) and how well you shoot a particular bow. I'd bet that in most cases, if you go to a good pro shop and get properly fitted that you'll shoot just about any bow well. At that point it comes down to price and I believe in buying the best that you can afford.
On the other side of the coin, you can buy the most expensive bow out there and have some jerk-water wannabe fit it and set it up for you and it will never shoot right.

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
BowTech Commander for me and that is a change from Hoyt. I have had it for 3 seasons, killed more deer than I want to stop and count and have had no problems with it.

Honestly, it's not about the brand...they all make good bows. It's more about what is best for you as far as fit, comfort, if you like the looks (yes, that matters) and how well you shoot a particular bow. I'd bet that in most cases, if you go to a good pro shop and get properly fitted that you'll shoot just about any bow well. At that point it comes down to price and I believe in buying the best that you can afford.
On the other side of the coin, you can buy the most expensive bow out there and have some jerk-water wannabe fit it and set it up for you and it will never shoot right.

Believe it or not I will probably set it up myself for the most part, if I have an issue then I will take it to someone. Ron Nepini(?) use to do work for me but I dont think he does much anymore, haven't talked to him in years.

I use a Mathews. I have used a Bear, Browning and Darton bows in the past. Comfort is the most important factor. If you buy a bow that doesn't fit you or is too difficult to draw or tune, you will not enjoy it. Definately shop around and buy a bow that fits YOU. Don't settle for something that is close because it is cheper. I like my Mathews because It is comfortable and I can hold it at full draw for over 2 min if needed.

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
I use a Mathews. I have used a Bear, Browning and Darton bows in the past. Comfort is the most important factor. If you buy a bow that doesn't fit you or is too difficult to draw or tune, you will not enjoy it. Definately shop around and buy a bow that fits YOU. Don't settle for something that is close because it is cheper. I like my Mathews because It is comfortable and I can hold it at full draw for over 2 min if needed.

I've read where they(Mathews)are they best on the market(according to some) and I've read that Hoyt is good also. Guess it depends on preference. Is the extra money ($400 compared to $800) worth it? Is there gonna be that much difference between them?

You would really need to try them both. My friends like Hoyt and Browning. I will never buy anything that isn't a Mathews. You don't have to buy the most expensive model of any bow. I've had mine for 7 years and replace the string every other year. A friend bought the top of the line (at the time) and I bought an FX. His bow was only 12 FPS faster with the same arrows but was almost twice the price as mine.

JoeMac

A stick bow can kill a deer just as dead as any of today's cutting edge compounds.

That being said I shoot an Oneida Black Eagle ESC. It is a little louder and slower than today's bows but it has excellent energy. You can also NEVER beat the sound to a game animal with the arrow, so noise is not a big concern.

Try trolling ebay and other sites for gently used bows, there are many people that buy news bows frequently. You can find some great deals, especially now. I like to go against the grain and one day I might try the Liberty Archery, Liberty 1.

The best advice though has really already been stated, make sure it's comfortable and practice, practice, practice. If you like a challenge and have patience the personal reward from harvesting a game animal with a bow is pretty great.

cmhurley1

I have yet to take a deer with the stick and string, but i'm shooting a PSE Nova. A Fairly cheap compound (probably only about 250 nowadays, maybe even a shade less) that still produces good enough groups with my muzzy 3 blade 125 grns and Easton aluminum 1080s to get the job done from 0-35 yards (when I'M on my game i can still get 1 or 2 inch groups at 20 yards). The only problem with it is it's a little noisy, but i'm going to see if an S-coil stabilizer and possibly some string leeches will fix this problem Then i'll just need the proper situation

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
Bow Tech Mighty Mite for me. It is about 5 years ago since I've hunted with it though. Just haven't had the time but it shoots fast and is small and handy which is why I picked it.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
You would really need to try them both. My friends like Hoyt and Browning. I will never buy anything that isn't a Mathews. You don't have to buy the most expensive model of any bow. I've had mine for 7 years and replace the string every other year. A friend bought the top of the line (at the time) and I bought an FX. His bow was only 12 FPS faster with the same arrows but was almost twice the price as mine.

:yeahthat:

Don't hunt, was looking at getting into 3d shooting at the time, and bought the Mathews Conquest pro. Mostly for it's draw length. Not a LOT of bows out there that offer a 32" draw .. but I use an overdraw, and shoot 28" carbon arrows.. at DAZZLING speed. Fast enough so there's no need for multiple pins. I chrono'd it the day I picked it up and it was >320 fps. (just looked at the Mathews sites, and NEW bows are >350 fps... single pin out to about 60 yards??)

I have a variable draw weight of 60 - 80 pounds and a 80% break...

It is a VERY unforgiving bow due to the overdraw, but very quiet, and very accurate once you learn how to shoot it.

Had a PSE prior to the Mathews and almost doubled the FPS.

Last edited:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I've read where they(Mathews)are they best on the market(according to some) and I've read that Hoyt is good also. Guess it depends on preference. Is the extra money ($400 compared to $800) worth it? Is there gonna be that much difference between them?

I've got an older Mathews, but you're welcome to come down and try it.

But you'll have to have gorilla arms like me to shoot it.

jenni4

Yay me!
I doubt you'll be interested in what I shoot being that I'm a woman.....but I'm going to tell you anyways.... Parker sidekick... 23" draw, 43 lbs

its pink too...

I've "pinked" many a deer with it.

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
I doubt you'll be interested in what I shoot being that I'm a woman.....but I'm going to tell you anyways.... Parker sidekick... 23" draw, 43 lbs

its pink too...

I've "pinked" many a deer with it.

I don't think I am interested in shooting it myself but it's good to hear what your shooting and congrats on being successful. :yay:

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
I've got an older Mathews, but you're welcome to come down and try it.

But you'll have to have gorilla arms like me to shoot it.

I might take you up on that Bob but the draw length might be a little long, I shoot 29-29.5, can change a little with the length of my release loop but a 32 is stretching it.. It's nice of you to offer one of those guys who rides a loud bike the chance though :killingme :buddies:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I might take you up on that Bob but the draw length might be a little long, I shoot 29-29.5, can change a little with the length of my release loop but a 32 is stretching it.. It's nice of you to offer one of those guys who rides a loud bike the chance though :killingme :buddies:

no matter how loud the bike, I know you REALLY want a quiet bow!!

yankee44

My DD came home last night and said that they are doing archery in P.E. She goes to Esperanza Middle. They have 14 of the compound bows that Mathews came out with for kids to learn on.