Box turtle

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I see that loony tunes is posting again to defend herself? Whateva ......

see what you did Hank? YOU started this up again .... :jerry:

Hank

my war
hmmm.... :coffee:

"Thousands of box turtles are collected from the wild every year for the domestic pet trade, primarily from South Carolina, the only remaining state where they can legally be captured from the wild and sold for profit."

Katelin

one day the dark will end
hmmm.... :coffee:

"Thousands of box turtles are collected from the wild every year for the domestic pet trade, primarily from South Carolina, the only remaining state where they can legally be captured from the wild and sold for profit."

"Turtle populations are in danger in other states (including Maryland) because of pesticides and people taking them out of the wild for pets."

"Children frequently want turtles as pets and despite warnings, parents will usually cater to their children's demands, thus keeping a turtle in a tiny terrarium - keeping yet another healthy turtle from breeding and increasing the population."

In Maryland, for example, it is illegal to sell box turtles in pet stores and Maryland officials periodically will "raid" local pet stores to make sure that the owners are following the law. This has cut down on the amount of box turtles sold illegally in Maryland pet stores, but many others are just taken out of the wild and kept as pets for children.

From DNR, Md.

"Turtles As Pets
Many reptiles are sold as pets, which in combination with destruction of habitat, has caused a serious decline in many species around the world. In Maryland, it is illegal to sell turtles as pets if they are caught from the wild. You can help save reptile populations by being very knowledgeable about any reptile you purchase and only purchase from reputable dealers. Under no circumstances should you ever release captive turtles into the wild as they can spread diseases like ranavirus to wild turtles."

As long as there is a "created demand" there will be a group of people. who will "supply" and profit, despite the overall, generational consequences.

Just because SC does it, does not make it the right thing to do.:howdy:

Last edited:

Hank

my war

Where does it say there were only hundreds in existence? :confused: And they were talking the whole eastern corridor, but primarily South Carolina as far as the thousands that are caught...

Katelin

I think you're getting hung up on words. Raccoons do wash/rinse/wet their food for a number of reasons. In fact, their scientific name means "washing bear." So, you're both right.

No. Arky is of the belief that they wash their food prior to eating to clean it, as demonstrated in the video she posted.

They don't wash as in to clean, to remove dirt, to clean it before eating!
It is a behavior that enhances the sensitivity of the feet to better identify the object they are holding.

I have seen them wash toys, keys, rocks, shells, bottles, etc...all items that can not be eaten!

I have seen raccoons eat food, chicken, fish, crabs, fruit, cookies, and NEVER once get that food close to the pool of water!
Even though the bowl of water was right there near the food!

Give a raccoon a plastic pool of water with NOTHING in it..and they will gladly play in the water for the pure joy of playing in the water!

If you have not seen and experienced that behavior, I am afraid I can not explain it to you to have you understand the joy and interest they have with water.

Having raised orphaned raccoons from infant to young adult ( 5-6 months) to release back to the wild. I know this behavior as I have seen it first hand.
It is not a food or hygiene based behavior.

Katelin

Where does it say there were only hundreds in existence? :confused: And they were talking the whole eastern corridor, but primarily South Carolina as far as the thousands that are caught...

Hank you are so anal.

The point I was trying to make is that the population is in decline.
From a gazillion to a billion to a million..anyway you look at it, the population is in decline.

Hundreds vs thousands...the population here in Maryland is dropping.
No, I can not give you an EXACT number and you cant find one either!

Hank

my war
Hank you are so anal.

The point I was trying to make is that the population is in decline.
From a gazillion to a billion to a million..anyway you look at it, the population is in decline.

Hundreds vs thousands...the population here in Maryland is dropping.
No, I can not give you an EXACT number and you cant find one either!

Oh.... I'm anal..... too funny! :killingme

:potmeetkettle:

Katelin

They are still wetting/washing/watering their food (and objects). If they are wetting their food, it's to see if it may be hazardous. So, technically it would be a "food behavior."

Whatever...I will write,, "You are right"! if it makes you feel better.

I really don't care what you think..I really don't! :1bdz:

Hank

my war
hmmm....:coffee:

"Raccoons dunk and soak their food in water if water is available---making it appear as if they are washing it. However, if they are not near a body of water, they handle their food with the same motions."

Read more: Why Do Raccoons Wash Their Food? | eHow.com Why Do Raccoons Wash Their Food? | eHow.com

Hank

my war
There are several theories about why raccoons often "wash" their food before eating it. The most prevalent is that the "cleaning" ritual is more related to raccoons' highly developed sense of touch. However, the definite answer is still known only to the raccoon.

:dye:

Hank

my war
Regardless the reason, they still wash their food if near water.... Just like some opossums get rabies... :popcorn: