Boxing

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Is there any interest in it these days or is everything MMA? I was watching the Ali/Holmes fight (for the 800th time) last night and got to thinking about how boxing used to be so huge and the fighters were stars. But now you don't seem to hear about it so much.

Like, a few years ago if you'd seen a photo of Evander Holyfield, you'd have known immediately who that was even if you weren't a fan and didn't follow boxing. Tyson, Lewis, Bowe. But if you saw a photo of Floyd Mayweather or Andre Ward, or even Manny Pacquiao would you recognize him?

Or is it just that I haven't been paying attention?

belvak

Happy Camper
Is there any interest in it these days or is everything MMA? I was watching the Ali/Holmes fight (for the 800th time) last night and got to thinking about how boxing used to be so huge and the fighters were stars. But now you don't seem to hear about it so much.

Like, a few years ago if you'd seen a photo of Evander Holyfield, you'd have known immediately who that was even if you weren't a fan and didn't follow boxing. Tyson, Lewis, Bowe. But if you saw a photo of Floyd Mayweather or Andre Ward, or even Manny Pacquiao would you recognize him?

What?

thurley42

HY;FR

It's a little of both....there are still marquee Boxing events, but they are growing few and far between...which speaks volumes about the climate change...Top Boxers make 15 million a fight (Mayweather) where as a top draw like GSP might make 500,000 for a championship fight....

Boxing has been corrupt for so long I think people grew tired of it....there hasn't really been a great heavyweight since the dinosaurs (Foreman, Holyfield) finally retired, and there are so many belts/federations, it's kind of a bore.

Misfit

Lawful neutral
I am a huge Boxing fan. I've watched Friday night fights (and Tues/Wed when they were around) every week since I was a kid. Whenever I can get a reasonable Showtime/HBO package I watch them too. I hit all the major boxing websites every morning between posting stupid sh!t here and have a record of 2 & 1 as an amateur. :diva:

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life

MMA is definitely bigger than boxing now.

When I'm doing MMA stuff, I'm constantly bruised and getting hurt. With boxing, it's a little easier on the body. Both are great workouts!

Misfit

Lawful neutral

When I'm doing MMA stuff, I'm constantly bruised and getting hurt. With boxing, it's a little easier on the body. Both are great workouts!

My dad owned a Judo dojo so that's my first love but I've spent decades also doing karate & practicing Muay Thai. I love the thought of two people agreeing to fight under the rules of Boxing though. There's something honorable about it to me. :shrug:

thurley42

HY;FR

where are you going now? I was hanging with :gossip: at Monterrey not too long ago and he said he was hoping to get something started again...and on this side of the bridge...

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
My dad owned a Judo dojo so that's my first love but I've spent decades also doing karate & practicing Muay Thai. I love the thought of two people agreeing to fight under the rules of Boxing though. There's something honorable about it to me. :shrug:

I love muay thai -- but unfortunately, that's where all my battle wounds come from. :lol:

belvak

Happy Camper
Boxing. You know. Men (and women) put on gloves and proceed to pound the piss out of each other.
:lol:

I was just messin' with you! I'm not a boxing fan though, so I know I wouldn't recognize any of them. Maybe some of the old big names, but that's about it.

Misfit

Lawful neutral
I love muay thai -- but unfortunately, that's where all my battle wounds come from. :lol:

My knees & elbows are bruised right now and I have this weird Mikhail Gorbachev like spot on my left shin that the doctor said was remnants from a bone bruise.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
My knees & elbows are bruised right now and I have this weird Mikhail Gorbachev like spot on my left shin that the doctor said was remnants from a bone bruise.

Ouch! Only once in class did I get a battle wound that caused bleeding. And it's not even a cool story, it's pretty lame. I was doing some leg work (kicking) and my big toe nail completely broke apart. It was nasty more than anything. :lol:

Misfit

Lawful neutral
Ouch! Only once in class did I get a battle wound that caused bleeding. And it's not even a cool story, it's pretty lame. I was doing some leg work (kicking) and my big toe nail completely broke apart. It was nasty more than anything. :lol:

I bet it hurt though. I tear the pads off my big toes all the time when sparring. I bought a pair of fight socks but you just don't get as good of traction then just using bare feet.

thurley42

HY;FR

My shins are nothing but scar tissue...:buddies:

There are some of us that are going to start rolling and doing bag work probably at the drill hall or something.......We're going to do Gi and No Gi and if you have the equipment moderate sparring....once we get it going If you all are interested I'll let you know.

Misfit

Lawful neutral
My shins are nothing but scar tissue...:buddies:

There are some of us that are going to start rolling and doing bag work probably at the drill hall or something.......We're going to do Gi and No Gi and if you have the equipment moderate sparring....once we get it going If you all are interested I'll let you know.

I tried to get a boxing club started there years ago and they said I wasn't allowed because they couldn’t be liable for injury on there premises. Wussies.

:mad:

thurley42

HY;FR
I tried to get a boxing club started there years ago and they said I wasn't allowed because they couldn’t be liable for injury on there premises. Wussies.

:mad:

There's already a group of people who do "Krav Maga" (I use that real loosely) there who spar. I think it's because they are doing it on their own and not on behalf of the drill hall.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Boxing has been fairly irrelevant for a while.

The last great era was the Hagler/Hearns/Leonard period. The USA would dominate in the Olympics and half of them would go on to have decent pro careers.