BREAKING NEWS: Favre reportedly will retire

AndyMarquisLIVE

From NBC Sports

BREAKING NEWS: Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre has reportedly decided to retire after 17 seasons

Brett Favre's legendary NFL career is apparently over.

According to a report on FOXSports.com, the record-setting quarterback for the Green Bay Packers has decided to retire after 17 seasons. Favre reportedly informed the Packers of his decision within the last few days, and it's unclear when Favre and the team will make his decision known.

Favre, 38, has flirted with retirement during the past two offseasons. Many expected him to call it quits after a disappointing 2006 season, but Favre saw encouraging signs in the Packers' rebuilding and said he wanted to return.

His decision was justified by an outstanding season. Favre led a young Packers team to a 13-3 record, throwing for 4,155 yards and 28 touchdowns. His quarterback rating of 95.7 was his best in 11 seasons.

During the course of the season Favre has broken three NFL records, becoming the all-time leading in passing yards (61,655 yards), touchdown passes (442), and career wins (160).

Favre has started 253 consecutive regular-season games for the Packers, a streak that dates to September 27, 1992.

The only three-time MVP in NFL history, Favre is the all-time leader with 5,377 career completions. He has made eight Pro Bowl appearances and is set to make his ninth on February 10.

© 2008 PA SportsTicker

Favre reportedly to retire after 17 seasons - NFL - MSNBC.com
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

T

toppick08

Went to school with him at USM.......one of the all time greatest...:yahoo:

S

snowflake

:bawl: I don't think that we will see another quarterback like him in the NFL and he will be missed. There was a false report about this on the Packers site last week, so maybe there is still hope that it is not true!

mlseskar

This is sad. I knew it would happen one day, just hoped he would come back for one more season after how well they did last year.

DuffMan

NNNNOOOO!!!!! I Don't believe it! A few day ago Packers.com said that he retired and that turned out to be false.

Nanny Pam

Well....He was one of the GREATS~!
.... but I am glad he going to retire. I always worried he'd be hurt. At his age, he won't heal as quickly. Besides....I just don't think it right that he's still on the football field with his kids. :lol:

Kittykat33

Why me??
No not Brett. What will I do now Kitty!!

I know......I am sad........
I LOVED seeing him play....but like someone else said I am glad to see him go now before he gets really hurt. At least you still have BIG Ben.......who do I have as a QB?????

rich70

STEELERS NATION!!
I know......I am sad........
I LOVED seeing him play....but like someone else said I am glad to see him go now before he gets really hurt. At least you still have BIG Ben.......who do I have as a QB?????

You could of had Brady. And I know, you WANT him for yourself too. I liked watching Brett play because he played for a love of the game. The way he acted after a play was like a kid in the backyard. I dont think there will ever be a player like him again. He really does love football.

DuffMan

I think its true but Brett has changed his mind before. All the sports networks are saying it's because the Packers did not get R. Moss, I thinks that B.S! The Packers have a good core or WR and I don't see that being Brett's main reason for calling it quits. Being a Packers fan, Rogers has big shoes to fill but he has had many years learning from Brett and did show some promise when Brett was hurt during the Dallas game.

fedex

Relax, it's fedex
Is he possibly the best QB to not win a Superbowl ? I know he is up there with Marino.. Just my opinion...?