Breast Cancer Gene Poll

Would you want to know the results of the test?

• No

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Yes

Votes: 16 94.1%

• Total voters
D

dems4me

If you had breast cancer run in your family for several generations where it claimed the life of loved ones and your dr. suggested getting a test done where they see if you have that defective gene or whatever (I think its a BRAC???? test)... Would you get it done? Guys and girls are welcome to comment as guys get breast cancer too. This topic came up in conversation between me and some friends and the responses were mixed. If it were me personally, I don't know that I would want to know if I have it or not... it would make me paranoid as heck :jameo: :jameo: :jameo:

Would y'all have it done or would y'all NOT want to know?

D

dems4me

rack'm said:
I'd want to know.

I think it would drive me batty...:jameo: I'd be paranoid if I had soo much as a mosquito bite or something :lol: In our discussion, I was pretty much the minority in NOT wanting to know but I would definately recommend it to others that were less neurotic :lol:

rack'm

Jaded
dems4me said:
I think it would drive me batty...:jameo: I'd be paranoid if I had soo much as a mosquito bite or something :lol: In our discussion, I was pretty much the minority in NOT wanting to know but I would definately recommend it to others that were less neurotic :lol:

Well, if you knew, then maybe you could make changes now that would help you later in life, plus you could start yearly screenings to catch it as soon as possible.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
dems4me said:
If you had breast cancer run in your family for several generations where it claimed the life of loved ones and your dr. suggested getting a test done where they see if you have that defective gene or whatever (I think its a BRAC???? test)... Would you get it done? Guys and girls are welcome to comment as guys get breast cancer too. This topic came up in conversation between me and some friends and the responses were mixed. If it were me personally, I don't know that I would want to know if I have it or not... it would make me paranoid as heck :jameo: :jameo: :jameo:

Would y'all have it done or would y'all NOT want to know?

It has run rampant in my fathers family, with his sisters and now their girls getting it. Doesn't breast cancer run on the female side of the family? I've never had a doctor ask me if my father's sister had breast cancer. They have always asked if my sister, mom, grandmother had it.

D

dems4me

BS Gal said:
It has run rampant in my fathers family, with his sisters and now their girls getting it. Doesn't breast cancer run on the female side of the family? I've never had a doctor ask me if my father's sister had breast cancer. They have always asked if my sister, mom, grandmother had it.

Sorry, I wasn't clear, I was referring to it being on the female side of the family for several generations in my question. :smile:

D

dems4me

rack'm said:
Well, if you knew, then maybe you could make changes now that would help you later in life, plus you could start yearly screenings to catch it as soon as possible.

Most women do that anyways :shrug: so if you do that anyways, whats the point of knowing that you have that gene... Just saying, if it was me, it would probably drive me batty although definately probably make me more diligent in self exams and mammos but also probably make me paranoid as heck. :crazy:

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
dems4me said:
Most women do that anyways :shrug: so if you do that anyways, whats the point of knowing that you have that gene... Just saying, if it was me, it would probably drive me batty although definately probably make me more diligent in self exams and mammos but also probably make me paranoid as heck. :crazy:
Dems, I don't think I would want you to know either... :coffee:

D

dems4me

virgovictoria said:
Dems, I don't think I would want you to know either... :coffee:

:lol: I was just thinking to myself "why am I always at odds with people on viewpoints like this" "why am I soo different?" "did I really injest all that lead paint that was peeling off the windowsill when I was 4 like my parents said I did?" "why don't I think like normal people?" "Whats wrong me me?" "maybe I need a different kind of flawed gene test done for thinking problems" :frown: :drama:

Phew!!! I feel better now!! :huggy:

Last edited by a moderator:

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
dems4me said:
:lol: I was just thinking to myself "why am I always at odds with people on viewpoints like this" "why am I soo different?" "
did I really injest all that lead paint that was peeling off the windowsill when I was 4 like my parents said I did?"
"why don't I think like normal people?" :drama:

Phew!!! I feel better now!! :huggy:

Cousin Tracy? Is that you? :lmao:

D

dems4me

virgovictoria said:
:confused: Does your cousin misread posts too, and reveal even more reasons why the post was worded the way it was to begin with???

You lost me... can you re word that?

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
dems4me said:
No, but I'd like to meet her, we may have a lot in common :lol:

We had a family gathering when she was about 5. She got in trouble for not playing nice so went inside and chewed the entire windowsill up. :lmao:

D

dems4me

BS Gal said:
We had a family gathering when she was about 5. She got in trouble for not playing nice so went inside and chewed the entire windowsill up. :lmao:

:jet: You make cousin Tracy sound like a puppy :lol: Did you swat her on the nose with a rolled up newspaper? :lol: