Brett Kavanaugh Will Be on the Supreme Court; Merrick Garland Will Not

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
To be honest, it IS a fair argument that he should have been considered. It was politically expedient that Vice President (at the time) Joe Biden was stupid enough to provide the GOP with an "out", conservatives (well, anyone really. But, I only hold conservatives to standards, as others have proven they have no standards) should not base their actions on the advice of Joe Biden unless they want to take his advice on so many other things (namely, virtually all) about which Mr. Biden is wrong. We conservatives should hold ourselves to good standards, not the standards of Mr. Biden. And, using Biden as the prop of stupidity in the left, then following his lead only makes US look stupid.

MG should have gotten a vote based on his merits. I suspect he would have failed to be seated on that alone.

I think MG probably got off pretty easy this way. He was never going to get the nod and this way he was able to go back to his life without having his name dragged through the mud on the way. I agree though that uncle Joe just gave them a reasonable out.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
This is a good "What if?" study. Assume that Garland's confirmation would have been voted down, and then Hillary had indeed won the election. Chances are very good that her nomination would have been far more left leaning than the moderate Garland.

I suspect that if Hill won there would have been a quick confirmation hearing in the lame duck session even if they had to recall senators to do it.

stgislander

PREMO Member
I suspect that if Hill won there would have been a quick confirmation hearing in the lame duck session even if they had to recall senators to do it.

I thought about that, but then I also thought Bronco might pull the nomination the day after so Hill could chose her person.

Salmon

https://apple.news/AZaCoLXbARhaZYhN-HFiBoA

One of the most striking things about the age of Trump is that Democrats have convinced themselves all the misogynists, racists, anti-Semites and moral cretins are on the right and everyone on the left is either pure as the driven snow or their motives can be explained away. Meanwhile, Democrats such as Les Moonves and Harvey Weinstein keep getting exposed. The left attacks white nationalists and excuses their kissing cousins in antifa. They attack conservatives such as David Horowitz and give progressives such as Linda Sarsour a podium. They are convinced they have a monopoly on truth while Republicans believe lies.

Barack Obama nominated Garland to the United States Supreme Court, but he had no power to put Garland on the Court unilaterally. Doing so required both the advice and consent of the Senate. The Republican Party advised Obama not to nominate Garland and refused to give consent. While Democrats have a legitimate grievance that Garland should have at least been considered, Joe Biden, in a prior role as chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, had established the precedent of not filling judicial vacancies in the run up to presidential elections.

Merrick Garland was owed an up and down vote. Obama threw a Republicans a bone with a moderate like Garland. He was so wronged by the entire process. If Republicans were serious about unifying the country, the Garland would be their nominee for this swing seat.

Hijinx

Merrick Garland was owed an up and down vote. Obama threw a Republicans a bone with a moderate like Garland. He was so wronged by the entire process. If Republicans were serious about unifying the country, the Garland would be their nominee for this swing seat.

I said the same things when the Democrats screwed over Bork.

This_person

Jimmy, if he was qualified there would be no such thing as "throwing bones" associated.

Garland was owed exactly nothing. The people were owed a vote on the president's nominee.

If Democrats were serious about governing through law, they would have asked pertinent questions in the hearings and listened to the answers. They would simply vote based upon qualifications, not political aspirations. There would be no credibility to a term like "swing seat."

I don't expect you to understand, but others might consider this as they contemplate the situation.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

Wah. Done...over with... And Kavanaugh will be confirmed soon. Cry in to your pillow.

Salmon

Wah. Done...over with... And Kavanaugh will be confirmed soon. Cry in to your pillow.
Democrats just need Susan Collins and Lisa Murkowski to get this stopped. If Democrats succeed, the seat will remain vacant until after 2020, unless Trump agrees to nominate someone vetted by the newly elected Democratic Senate.

Salmon

Jimmy, if he was qualified there would be no such thing as "throwing bones" associated.

Garland was owed exactly nothing. The people were owed a vote on the president's nominee.

If Democrats were serious about governing through law, they would have asked pertinent questions in the hearings and listened to the answers. They would simply vote based upon qualifications, not political aspirations. There would be no credibility to a term like "swing seat."

I don't expect you to understand, but others might consider this as they contemplate the situation.

The Supreme Court can make new laws so there’s really no way to make it apolitical.

Salmon

So let's add constitutional law to the list of things you suck at.

The Supreme Court tells us what’s the law every June. They vote on the hot button issues. That’s why the Kennedy for Kavanaugh trade is not fair. Garland for Kennedy is more equitable.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
The Supreme Court tells us what’s the law every June. They vote on the hot button issues. That’s why the Kennedy for Kavanaugh trade is not fair. Garland for Kennedy is more equitable.

No, they say wether a law is constitutional or not. There's not a one for one trade of SC justices, the President selects someone and the Senate gives it a yea or nay (or once just a pass)

Salmon

No, they say wether a law is constitutional or not. There's not a one for one trade of SC justices, the President selects someone and the Senate gives it a yea or nay (or once just a pass)

Merrick Garland wasn’t even given a vote. :frown: