Brexit: A Case Study In Deep State Resistance

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
An excellent article (not sure how long the link will remain active; it's being offered for increasing interest in subscriptions):

Long-ish (<20 mins, I think), but good-ish. Snipping would ruin the value, so just this one from the end (the concluding thoughts). Hope it whets your appetites (if this sort of thing is in your wheelhouse):
What Britons voted for in 2016 was to leave the European Union—not to ask permission to leave the European Union. It is hard to see how Britain’s remaining in the E.U. would benefit either side.

And yet, given that Britain is the first country to issue such an ultimatum, given that pro-E.U. elites in other European countries have reason to fear its replication, given the moral ambitions of the E.U. project, given that the British who support Remain have transferred their sentiments and their allegiances across the channel, given the social disparity between those who rule the E.U. and most of those who want to leave it, how could the reaction of Britain’s establishment be anything but all-out administrative, judicial, economic, media, political, and parliamentary war? The battle against Brexit is being fought, Europe-wide, with all the weaponry a cornered elite has at its disposal.

It has proved sufficient so far.

Edit: I will add this additional snip (because it so sublimely sums up the "Deep State" aspect):
Once the judiciary rules politics, all politicians are just talkers. Understand that, and you are most of the way to understanding Brexit.

The transfer of competences from legislatures to courts is a superb thing for the rich, because of the way the constitution interacts with occupational sociology. Where the judiciary is drawn from the legal profession, and where the legal profession is credentialed by expensive and elite professional schools, judicialization always means a transfer of power from the country at large to the richest sliver of it.

--- End of line (MCP)

Last edited:

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
Excellent article. Thank-you for posting.
Glad y'all found it interesting. I thought it well-written and perhaps serves well as a "parable" for what may be (is) happening here in the U.S.

Anyway, after posting, I noted there's a "PDF save" button (if that's of interest). I did; figured I'd let others know of the option.

Have a great day!

--- End of line (MCP)

stgislander

PREMO Member
As a distant observer, the past couple days in the UK have been very interesting to watch. What Labour and the defecting Tories are doing lines up nicely with the article in the OP. PM Johnson has booted a handful of Tories out of the party. Labour, that had been crying for a special election, immediately changed their mind and voted against it when Johnson called for one. And finally, if a bill sponsored by Labour to extend the Brexit deadline beyond Oct 31st does get passed in the Commons, the House of Lords may just sit on it.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member