Bringing Back The Draft

This_person

PsyOps said:
Except for one and he became our 42nd president.

You know what I find funny about this draft argument is... It's the left that is screaming we should reinstitute it, yet they are the same ones complaining that we are sending our VOLUNTEERS over there to die for an unworthy cause; yet they want to send those that are not willing to die for an unworthy cause.
This is just a guess, but when there's no forced military personnel it's hard to say that we're forcing our young men and women to go die for an unjust cause. For a short while I remember hearing people discussing our military as "mercinaries" because they volunteered to die for money. But, they couldn't keep using that and saying they were "for the troops". I've actually heard some on the left of the aisle saying that they wanted to reinstitute the draft as a method of ending the war quicker, because more people would take interest in the "unjustness" of the cause if they (or their family members) were being forced into it instead of volunteering into it.

PsyOps

Pixelated
This_person said:
This is just a guess, but when there's no forced military personnel it's hard to say that we're forcing our young men and women to go die for an unjust cause. For a short while I remember hearing people discussing our military as "mercinaries" because they volunteered to die for money. But, they couldn't keep using that and saying they were "for the troops". I've actually heard some on the left of the aisle saying that they wanted to reinstitute the draft as a method of ending the war quicker, because more people would take interest in the "unjustness" of the cause if they (or their family members) were being forced into it instead of volunteering into it.

Actually I know this is exactly their reason for demanding the draft. It’s just another example of their unprincipled approach to the whole situation. They wont come up with anything that they truly believe to be the right thing to solve the problem.

forestal

I'm the Boss of Me
maybe you're a pansy..and the army KNOWS it..

"The Army's 38 available combat units are deployed, just returning home or already tapped to go to Iraq, Afghanistan or elsewhere, leaving no fresh troops to replace five extra brigades that President Bush sent to Baghdad this year," Lolita C. Baldor reports for AP, based on interviews and military documents.

Without enough troops to sustain current troop levels, the Pentagon will face some painful decisions if President Bush argues for a continuation of the surge. It can accelerate deployments of National Guard units, break the military's pledge to keep soldiers in Iraq for 15 months or less or reverse its commitment to give troops a year at home with their families before returning them to a war zone.

itsbob said:
I haven't been called back up, it can't be too bad.