British and German troops relive Christmas truce

Misfit

Lawful neutral
http://www.thelocal.de/20141218/british-and-german-armies-recreate-christmas-truce

“We can hardly imagine now how they must have felt then”, German team captain Master Sergeant Stefan Wagner said.

“This game today is important, because it's an opportunity for people to think about the events”, British General Nicholas Carter said.

The teams met on the grounds of League Five team Aldershot Town FC in front of around 2,500 spectators.

100 years ago the “Christmas Miracle” brought together soldiers from opposing trenches in Flanders, Belgium, to exchange food and drink, share cigars and play the famous game of football – with steel helmets for goalposts.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Think how sick that was, that two cultures so closely connected on so many levels interrupted shear barbarism for a few minutes to remind themselves that they were fighting over NOTHING.

Heartbreaking. World War I is the greatest tragedy in human history. So far...

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Think how sick that was, that two cultures so closely connected on so many levels interrupted shear barbarism for a few minutes to remind themselves that they were fighting over NOTHING.

Heartbreaking. World War I is the greatest tragedy in human history. So far...

Come on, now - are you saying "My king, crown, royal family aren't better than your king/crown/royal family? If you are, those are insulting, war fighting words".

Your statement is right on. They were fighting over nothing more than injured family pride.:buddies: