Broken pelvis?

Sonsie

The mighty Al-Sonsie!
I found a 8-10 week old kitten today on the side of the road. She was trying unsuccessfully to stand up and I knew I couldn't leave her in the cold drizzle hurt and alone. I took her to my vet and a few X-rays later I find out she has a pelvis that is broken in 2 places. The vet says to keep her in very close confinement for 4 weeks and she might just make a full recovery. Has anyone had experience with an injury like this before? I'm giving her painkillers and she is eating and drinking thankfully. She is a real sweet girl who is so trusting and gentle its obvious she's not a stray or feral. Any advice?

Just the other day I was thinking I needed another cat to keep my remaining old girl company after the death of my beloved Footy. I wanted a small young female so my old girl can be dominant and not get picked on by some new cat. Suddenly one appears that really needs me and fits the bill. Funny how that works...

Black Cat.jpg

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Awww... she looks just like my Friday! I hope she heals quickly and fits in with her new home. :smile:

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
I found a 8-10 week old kitten today on the side of the road. She was trying unsuccessfully to stand up and I knew I couldn't leave her in the cold drizzle hurt and alone. I took her to my vet and a few X-rays later I find out she has a pelvis that is broken in 2 places. The vet says to keep her in very close confinement for 4 weeks and she might just make a full recovery. Has anyone had experience with an injury like this before? I'm giving her painkillers and she is eating and drinking thankfully. She is a real sweet girl who is so trusting and gentle its obvious she's not a stray or feral. Any advice?

Just the other day I was thinking I needed another cat to keep my remaining old girl company after the death of my beloved Footy. I wanted a small young female so my old girl can be dominant and not get picked on by some new cat. Suddenly one appears that really needs me and fits the bill. Funny how that works...

View attachment 69188

aww poor kitty :( how a kitty ends up like that..I will never know..mskes me sick. I am so glad she found someone to care for her..what a pretty kitty...I cant help u as far as the injury goes..but im sure someone will...good luck

J

jaybeeztoo

View attachment 69188

I found one at about the same age. It appeared someone had kicked him. I took him to the vet and they offered to operate but also said with some r&r it would learn to recover and walk again. Low and behold he did recover and lived a long happy life with us. Funny thing is (well not really funny, but ya know) the kitten I found looks just like the one you pictured.

Good luck and thank you for saving this little critters life :huggy:

C

CalvertNewbie

View attachment 69188

I'm so glad you found her. What a heartbreaking story with a happy ending. She's beautiful. Sorry I don't have advice for you but I wish you the best with her.

belvak

Happy Camper
aww poor kitty :( how a kitty ends up like that..I will never know..mskes me sick. I am so glad she found someone to care for her..what a pretty kitty...I cant help u as far as the injury goes..but im sure someone will...good luck

Poor, poor! That's what Hubby and I call the "unfortunates" we see along side the road. Luckily, this one is alive! Good on you Sonsi for taking her in!!!

I can give you a pretty good idea of what happened to her. Someone threw her out of a moving car because they didn't want to be responsible for a litter. :ihopeimwrong: Hubby and I saw something like this about 5 years ago on Rt 5 in Leonardtown (between St. Andrews Church and 245 headed north). One kitty was obviously beyond help. The second got up and ran off the side of the road. We stopped and were able to get it and put it in our truck. Unfortunately, the scum who were tossing them out of their truck kept on going and we weren't able to get a tag number.

I still called the State Police and they said they would send someone out to that area. Anyway, we couldn't keep the little kitty we rescued, so we ended up taking it to Tri-County. I know -- bad move, but they promised they would try to everything they could for her/him (this was before I knew about the rescue folks on here).

They thought it might have a broken jaw, but since it was a Saturday, it would have to wait for the Vet on Monday. I'm sure that they probably put the kitten down, but I would like to believe that he/she was treated and adopted. We left them a BIG donation, so hopefully, one of the employees adopted it. I just can't understand how people can be so EVIL!

Sorry for the long post and I hope your new kitty makes a full recovery and lives all nine lives happily with you! :huggy:

Last edited:

Sonsie

The mighty Al-Sonsie!
Belvak it's very possible someone tossed her out, she has really bad road rash under her chin too. She is so cuddly and purrs every time I check on her, I can't believe someone would mistreat an animal they raised to be so trusting. I'd like to think she wandered off and got hit by a car.

I've posted her pic and my contact info online at our two local papers pet lost and found sections and as soon as the drizzle stops I'll post a few signs at the local intersections. She is a bit thin but isn't flea or earmite infested, she might have a good home, and hopefully an owner who will reimburse me for her vet bill if that's the case. I wouldn't want to steal someones pet you know? They might be looking for her and worrying though I doubt it.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Belvak it's very possible someone tossed her out, she has really bad road rash under her chin too. She is so cuddly and purrs every time I check on her, I can't believe someone would mistreat an animal they raised to be so trusting. I'd like to think she wandered off and got hit by a car.

I've posted her pic and my contact info online at our two local papers pet lost and found sections and as soon as the drizzle stops I'll post a few signs at the local intersections. She is a bit thin but isn't flea or earmite infested, she might have a good home, and hopefully an owner who will reimburse me for her vet bill if that's the case. I wouldn't want to steal someones pet you know? They might be looking for her and worrying though I doubt it.

I somehow doubt that someone "lost" an 8-10 week old kitten.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Thank you Sonsie for taking in this little baby. Many times, kittens are toss aways..there are so many. They love to sleep with fuzzy stuffed animals..wipe her face with a moist cotton ball as if being licked by her mommy..it is very calming for the babies. Give her lots of human interaction.

Pandora

Suddenly one appears that really needs me and fits the bill. Funny how that works...

View attachment 69188

It is... and the thing is, your older cat will figure out she is hurt and it may make the adjustment easier.

If she is warm, safe, and fed, she will stay put and she looks very content in that photo. :cheers: to a long and happy life; she is an adorable new addition. I am so glad you found her!!!

Sonsie

The mighty Al-Sonsie!
Thank you Sonsie for taking in this little baby. Many times, kittens are toss aways..there are so many. They love to sleep with fuzzy stuffed animals..wipe her face with a moist cotton ball as if being licked by her mommy..it is very calming for the babies. Give her lots of human interaction.

I had to keep her in the laundry room earlier, my 2 and 4 year old are too unpredictable to be around an injured kitten. I had a deep 30 gallon storage tub that works great for her little nest, too tall to get out of but big enough for a shoebox lid of litter, food, water, and a few small towels. I want to hold her but the vet stressed she needs to be still as possible. She leans on my hand and purrrrrrrrrs so sweet. I'll have to get her a stuffed animal, lord knows my house is overflowing with them. I even have a couple kitten ones!

Sonsie

The mighty Al-Sonsie!
It is... and the thing is, your older cat will figure out she is hurt and it may make the adjustment easier.

If she is warm, safe, and fed, she will stay put and she looks very content in that photo. :cheers: to a long and happy life; she is an adorable new addition. I am so glad you found her!!!

My old girl, Gem peaked in at her and gave her the wild cat stare then scuttled off to hide in my closet. She will be fine in a few days, she adjusted to the new dog in a few short days this is gonna be cake compared to a yapping puppy.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

Aw, what sweet baby! It seems like angels come into our lives in many different ways & in many different forms just when we need them to!

Good luck with her. I've never had to deal with an injury like that before, so I am of no help. I'm sure you'll be loving her to pieces!

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I had to keep her in the laundry room earlier, my 2 and 4 year old are too unpredictable to be around an injured kitten. I had a deep 30 gallon storage tub that works great for her little nest, too tall to get out of but big enough for a shoebox lid of litter, food, water, and a few small towels. I want to hold her but the vet stressed she needs to be still as possible. She leans on my hand and purrrrrrrrrs so sweet. I'll have to get her a stuffed animal, lord knows my house is overflowing with them. I even have a couple kitten ones!

Awww!! I can't even let myself think about what might have happened to her- it's just unbelievable. I can't even watch that commercial that comes on TV with the injured animals. :bawl:

Anyway - keep us all posted on how the baby is doing! If you get to keep her, what will her call her?

Sonsie

The mighty Al-Sonsie!
Awww!! I can't even let myself think about what might have happened to her- it's just unbelievable. I can't even watch that commercial that comes on TV with the injured animals. :bawl:

Anyway - keep us all posted on how the baby is doing! If you get to keep her, what will her call her?

Nisha - That is Hindi for night.

Amaya - A Japanese name, meaning "night rain."

Leila or Laylah - Hebrew name meaning "night" or "dark Oriental beauty."

Like any of these? Any suggestions?

C

CalvertNewbie

Wow, I never knew that about the cotton ball. It sounds like she'll be getting lots of love from Sonsie and family.

Nisha - That is Hindi for night.

Amaya - A Japanese name, meaning "night rain."

Leila or Laylah - Hebrew name meaning "night" or "dark Oriental beauty."

Like any of these? Any suggestions?

Very pretty names. I love Amaya but any one of those names would be perfect for her.