Broomes Island Stoney's

mitzi

We used to go to the Broome's Island Stoney's location quite a bit and liked it very much. 'Til one time we were there and we watched one of the staff walking pretty fast from one of the out buildings over to the kitchen...with boxed, frozen breaded shrimp. :ohwell: It lost a lot of it's luster for FH and we stopped going as a choice, unless it was a group of friends or family going.

That's what they all serve. No one is back in the kitchen breading shrimp.:1bdz: (I'm not being a smart a$$).

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
That's what they all serve. No one is back in the kitchen breading shrimp.:1bdz: (I'm not being a smart a$$).

It's not like they're a Red Lobster - they're a seafood restauant on the water. He thinks their seafood should be fresh made and not pre-packaged, so that wasn't acceptable for him :lol:

glhs837

Power with Control
It's not like they're a Red Lobster - they're a seafood restauant on the water. He thinks their seafood should be fresh made and not pre-packaged, so that wasn't acceptable for him :lol:

I dont expect some things to be fresh at a local place. Shrimp and tilapia on that list. Rockfish, oysters, yep.

Bann

PREMO Member
I dont expect some things to be fresh at a local place. Shrimp and tilapia on that list. Rockfish, oysters, yep.

I don't eat a lot of fish or shrimp, but when I do get those I only order fresh made seafood, not pre-made (processed) and frozen. The point is - he felt that, along with all the other things which were listed in other posts, were reasons to stop giving them our business. They've gone way downhill from what they used to be.

We just ask ahead of time, now. :shrug:

mitzi

LOL Most people do think that but I've worked in 3 local places and it's frozen shrimp (unless it's streamed). Some think the crabs are picked in the back room for crab cakes too.

LOL Most people do think that but I've worked in 3 local places and it's frozen shrimp (unless it's streamed). Some think the crabs are picked in the back room for crab cakes too.
I've never had streamed shrimp. Is there an app or something I need on my phone to get that?

Bann

PREMO Member

Even Jerry's doesn't use Maryland crabs for his crabcakes, from what I've read about his restaurant. However, I believe they're fresh made and not frozen pre-made/processed.

When I eat out, I don't want something I can make at home. I wouldn't want to pay for frozen and pre-made breaded shrimp. I've developed a slight reaction to shrimp in the past few years, (puffy eyes) and I've been leery to eat them. So, when I do I definitely want fresh and not frozen. Same with fish when I have a taste for fried fish and chips. I ask about it being fresh. :yay:

mitzi

Even Jerry's doesn't use Maryland crabs for his crabcakes, from what I've read about his restaurant. However, I believe they're fresh made and not frozen pre-made/processed.

When I eat out, I don't want something I can make at home. I wouldn't want to pay for frozen and pre-made breaded shrimp. I've developed a slight reaction to shrimp in the past few years, (puffy eyes) and I've been leery to eat them. So, when I do I definitely want fresh and not frozen. Same with fish when I have a taste for fried fish and chips. I ask about it being fresh. :yay:

The crab cakes are fresh made. I agree, if I eat out, I don't want something I usually make at home. I want fresh not frozen also, that's why I always get steamed shrimp (not streamed lol). Now I'm hungry for some good seafood.

glhs837

Power with Control

Oh, I dont expect anyones picking the crabs, or even that they are from DC, just that the crab meat is fresh, not frozen.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
The crab cakes are fresh made. I agree, if I eat out, I don't want something I usually make at home. I want fresh not frozen also, that's why I always get steamed shrimp (not streamed lol). Now I'm hungry for some good seafood.

A lot of the "fresh" shrimp sold in grocery stores (Wegman's in this case) is actually previously frozen. They open up a frozen bag and let it thaw on the ice in the case and sell it for a couple of bucks more than the already frozen shrimp. Once that sells, they do it over again.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces

My oldest works at Jerry's and yes, they are made fresh daily. He had never shucked a crab before starting there. It was trial by fire. :lol:

tipsymcgee

A lot of the "fresh" shrimp sold in grocery stores (Wegman's in this case) is actually previously frozen. They open up a frozen bag and let it thaw on the ice in the case and sell it for a couple of bucks more than the already frozen shrimp. Once that sells, they do it over again.

Here in Maryland, do you really want "fresh" shrimp that was caught in the gulf waters and sent to a distributor and then to the restaurant/market, what, 5 or 6 days later? They also did a WaPo article on that years ago. A lot of these huge fish companies actually have processing plants right in the belly of the ship, and you are much better off with a frozen piece of fish that was processed and frozen the same day, versus a fresh piece that's 4-5-6 days old. Should you get fresh crabs, soft crabs, oysters, rockfish, other local fish, sure, but when it comes to most stuff out of the area you shouldn't be as concerned.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Here in Maryland, do you really want "fresh" shrimp that was caught in the gulf waters and sent to a distributor and then to the restaurant/market, what, 5 or 6 days later? They also did a WaPo article on that years ago. A lot of these huge fish companies actually have processing plants right in the belly of the ship, and you are much better off with a frozen piece of fish that was processed and frozen the same day, versus a fresh piece that's 4-5-6 days old. Should you get fresh crabs, soft crabs, oysters, rockfish, other local fish, sure, but when it comes to most stuff out of the area you shouldn't be as concerned.

This was in Virginia, but I get what you are saying and agree. Flash frozen is better than days or a week old.