Brutal Attack On Black Man Draws Short Sentences In Texas

Ponytail

Where's Kinky Freidman when you need him? I wonder what he's got to say about it. Texans should be embarrassed though by that outcome. I wonder why the jury rejected the more serious charges? Something doesn't sound right, and the DA isn't all that upset with the outcome either. :confused:

Pete

Repete
Ponytail said:
Where's Kinky Freidman when you need him? I wonder what he's got to say about it. Texans should be embarrassed though by that outcome. I wonder why the jury rejected the more serious charges? Something doesn't sound right, and the DA isn't all that upset with the outcome either. :confused:
Ya think there might be more to the story than the media put in the article?

Ponytail

Pete said:
Ya think there might be more to the story than the media put in the article?
Nah. They never with hold info that might keep folks from getting a twist in their panties.

Pete

Repete
Ponytail said:
Nah. They never with hold info that might keep folks from getting a twist in their panties.
I am not saying there is :shrug: but I think in "most" instances the criminal justice system does work and justice is metered out fairly. Conversely i find the media is horribly lop sided and slanted and I do not believe half of what I read from them.

If the story is as written then I say shame on Texas, the jury and the DA. I am just suspect of any story written that shows horrible miscarriage of justice without any detail at all.

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
Pete said:
I am not saying there is :shrug: but I think in "most" instances the criminal justice system does work and justice is metered out fairly. Conversely i find the media is horribly lop sided and slanted and I do not believe half of what I read from them.

If the story is as written then I say shame on Texas, the jury and the DA. I am just suspect of any story written that shows horrible miscarriage of justice without any detail at all.

In that part of Texas, I wouldn't be surprised if the story is as written. There could be more to it (and I really hope there is), but Linden is up practically a stones throw from Arkansas and Lousiana in East Texas (NE actually). There is little population wise (and a major "good old boy" factor... where the "good old boys" would protect their own), and its one of the few places in Texas I would believe racism is still a major issue. I have been to a city hall and sheriff's department up in that area and both were based in trailers. :shrug:

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
Also, farmers and ranchers tend to be among the least to have problems racism wise in Texas. Where you get real problems is these podunk little towns (not just in Texas) seems to be based on white trash, uneducated, good old boy blue collars (this is not saying all blue collars are white trash, uneducated.. that these problem small towns seem to be). Check the environment in this write-up.

LINDEN, TEXAS. Linden, the county seat of Cass County, is at the junction of U.S. Highway 59, State highways 8 and 155, and Farm roads 125, 1399 and 1841, twelve miles southwest of Atlanta in the south central portion of the county. It was established in 1852 after a redivision of territory had given the old county seat, Jefferson, to Marion County. The townsite was laid out by a Major Wood, who named it for his former home in Tennessee. A post office opened in 1852. The first business, a saw plant for hand-sawed lumber, was established by T. J. Foster on contract to build a two-story frame courthouse. Tanyards and syrup mills were the other early industries. A school was in operation by 1856. The weekly Cass County Sun began publication in 1875, using a George Washington press of 1853 that had been used in Shreveport, Louisiana, and that had been sunk in the Red River to prevent its falling into the hands of federal soldiers in 1864. By 1885 Linden had 300 residents, two churches, a district school, several sawmills, and a number of general stores. The pine and hardwood trees of the area were in great demand for building new towns in the Red River valley. The lumber boom reached its peak around 1890. Linden continued to grow, and by the early 1930s it was incorporated, with 1,000 residents and forty-five rated businesses. The onset of the Great Depressionqv forced many businesses to close, and in 1936 Linden had only thirty-five rated businesses. After World War IIqv the community rebounded and grew slowly but steadily. By the mid-1960s it had 1,950 residents. In 1991, 2,439 residents were reported there. The number of businesses decreased from sixty-five in 1966 to thirty-eight in 1991. In the early 1990s the economy centered on farming, lumber, and oil.

Angst over jobs disappearing in blue collar industries and a backwoods, good old boy culture probably fuel the flames a bit there.

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
Mikeinsmd said:
Don't DUI's in this area carry stiffer sentences? :confused:

In rural texas, DUI's get a slap on the wrist if you are part of the good old boy network and often even for those who aren't. If you are from out of the area, young, and against the grain, then you will probably get the full penalty. (Also, not all Good Old Boy networks are bad things... there are just those other ones) :yay:

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
Lenny said:

Yes, it does...

24-year-old Cory Hicks was a jailer for the Cass County Sheriff's Department

Has good old boy network written all over it. You think the DA really needed to take pleas? Not only that, but one of the guilty party was also a high school baseball player for the town... another token into high standing.