Budget Time...

BuddyLee

Football addict
Im curious as to what everyone would make their budget out to be if they were the ones running the U.S.

Since you all know everything and what is best for this country go ahead and give it a shot.

For example: Health care 25%, education 25%, defense 25%, and public service 25% giving a total of 100%. You are not allowed to have a surplus (below 100%) or a defecit (over 100%).

There are so many other ways you can spend your money on a federal level. You however, must decide how you think it should be spent. Happy spending.:popcorn:

Toxick

Splat
Originally posted by BuddyLee
Since you all know everything and what is best for this country go ahead and give it a shot.

85% Military Spending.
15% Roads.

You're welcome.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Re: Re: Re: Re: Budget Time...

Originally posted by Toxick
I was aiming for the opposite. :shrug:

Didn't Hitler rise into a great military leader to only catapult the rise of a great nation built on its military? :confused:

Toxick

Splat
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Budget Time...

Originally posted by BuddyLee
Didn't Hitler rise into a great military leader to only catapult the rise of a great nation built on its military? :confused:

Methinks you don't know me very well. Or you misunderstood the difference between me spending 85% of a budget on national security, and turning 85% of the nation into armed militia.

I didn't say that we should turn the USA into a military occupied zone or a police state. The very idea is anethema to everything I believe. What I said was that I'd spend 85% of the budget (which would be quite a bit smaller if I had a djinn to grant my every wish) on military, because they protect the borders, and blow up bad people and come up with nift-o devices like GPS and daisy cutters.

I also included things like the FBI, CIA and things like Homeland Security under this umbrella.

I would have made it closer to a 50/50 distribution between military and roads, but building and maintaining a transit system is a good deal cheaper than building and maintaining a good military.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Budget Time...

Originally posted by Toxick
Methinks you don't know me very well. Or you misunderstood the difference between me spending 85% of a budget on national security, and turning 85% of the nation into armed militia.

I didn't say that we should turn the USA into a military occupied zone or a police state. The very idea is anethema to everything I believe. What I said was that I'd spend 85% of the budget (which would be quite a bit smaller if I had a djinn to grant my every wish) on military, because they protect the borders, and blow up bad people and come up with nift-o devices like GPS and daisy cutters.

I also included things like the FBI, CIA and things like Homeland Security under this umbrella.

I would have made it closer to a 50/50 distribution between military and roads, but building and maintaining a transit system is a good deal cheaper than building and maintaining a good military.

Thanks for the detailed explanation.:yay:

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
30% military and intelligence
20% R&D for anything interesting to the government, including the space program, medical research, etc.
10% education programs
10% transportation
10% public service such as congressional, executive, and judicial administration and salaries
10% environmental and energy programs
7.5% national debt reduction
2.5% welfare, unemployment, disability, and medical programs (serious downsizing would take place here, and only those that truly need it would get it)

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm not even going to pretend to be knowledgeable enough to divvy up the budget BUT count me in for taking enormous chunks of foreign aid money and putting it toward our own national defense.

I'd cut education funding and transfer the savings over to federal scholarships for college.

In fact, I'd probably overhaul the whole budget. Take education spending, for example: they get a pissload of money and what do they do with it? Who knows, but we DO know they're not spending it on the kids. So I'd put my Rod Paige on that to reallocate that money.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by vraiblonde
I'm not even going to pretend to be knowledgeable enough to divvy up the budget BUT count me in for taking enormous chunks of foreign aid money and putting it toward our own national defense.

I didn't have a foreign aid category in mine because I look at foreign aid as being part of the national defense budget.

e.g. Afghanistan. Our foreign aid = increase in our national security.

My percentages that I chose were really meaningless, except to rate the priority with which I put things. I don't honestly know what percentage of our national budget is necessary to keep our transportation systems up and running, for example.