Building an NFL team...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
...let's play owner and GM and start with a basic premise; it is harder to mess up an NFL team insofar as hurting the business dollars and cents wise than it is to be a success. Point being, once you become owner, pretty much anyone could build an NFL team the fans would still come see and watch on TV. OK?

So, what started this is that Chris Johnson wants something like $13 mil a year and my position is...for what? How does a RB add that much to a team in relation to overall salary? About 10% for one of 53 guys??? Does he matter all that much in winning a regular season game, never mind a Superbowl, the primary and primary goals of EVERY NFL team?

So, why not trade him for picks and just get some young guy for a LOT less? I mean, the Titans are said to have a solid O line. Are fans gonna refuse to come if some kid gets 'only' 100 yards a game instead of Johnson's weekly potential for 150 or so? And, again, what about winning and losing? Who matters most?

Obviously, QB matters, a lot. So do game changers like Troy and Bob Sanders when he is healthy. A Jerry Rice, a Bruce Smith. A Ray Lewis, they all bring the intangibles and can make a team a consistent winner.

I mean, besides Riggins, has there been a RB that won a Superbowl? Marcus Allen against us, (SB XVIII) maybe, but, they beat us across the board that day. The Pats? Colts? Steelers? Giants? Packers? Mostly QB there, right?

OJ Simpson, one of best RB's ever, did not make the Bills a winner. Same for Barry Sanders. Portis was a warrior for us but he did not really matter in terms of wins and, certainly, did not have that 'thing' to make us a winner.

All that said, Joe Gibbs won with different RB's AND different QB's. SO, team, team, team. Two good lines, some decent skill people and you could make the playoffs with pretty much anyone in the leagues starting QB and RB, right? So, to me, Peyton isn't worth all he is getting paid. He, like everyone else, is a play away from done for the year. Now, with Kerry Collins as insurance, the Colts suddenly sound like an 8-8 team, maybe.

So, do you pay a Manning, a Johnson, and have a very top, if not the top paid guy at QB? At RB? At any position?

:popcorn:

BuddyLee

Football addict
Agreed to an extent.

However, someone like Johnson or P. Manning are one-of-a-kind in a decade. You can't trade that talent away. If you are able to build a team around them, they could be the difference between just barely making the playoffs and actually winning a Super Bowl.

In this day and age, you can still pay your top end player and still have enough to go around to compete with.

Rommey

I mean, besides Riggins, has there been a RB that won a Superbowl? Marcus Allen against us, (SB XVIII) maybe, but, they beat us across the board that day.
I would submit Larry Csonka (1973), Franco Harris (1974), and Emmitt Smith (1993) as running backs that won a Superbowl for their respective teams. YMMV.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I would submit Larry Csonka (1973), Franco Harris (1974), and Emmitt Smith (1993) as running backs that won a Superbowl for their respective teams. YMMV.

The Redskins, I am proud to say, very much neutralized the Dolphins three headed ground attack of Csonka, Kick and Morris. The Dolphins won because the greatest quarterback in the history of the game was out with an injury. if they had to face him. They lose. :diva:

Franco got them there on a bad call. He was also on a Hall of Fame team. Look at those names.

Emmit, that game was a rout.

:shrug:

Rommey

The Redskins, I am proud to say, very much neutralized the Dolphins three headed ground attack of Csonka, Kick and Morris. The Dolphins won because the greatest quarterback in the history of the game was out with an injury. if they had to face him. They lose. :diva:

Franco got them there on a bad call. He was also on a Hall of Fame team. Look at those names.

Emmit, that game was a rout.

:shrug:
You are correct; I had the wrong year for Csonka and Harris. Csonka in SBVIII (1973 season; SB played in 1974) and Harris in SBIX (1974 season; SB played in 1975).

BuddyLee

Football addict
Larry, I don't think you're accounting for the running back position entirely. I believe a running back, not so much quarterback, can have a significantly less effect on big games. It is largely due to what you mentioned. A good to great defense can stack the box and take out the running game. However, because of that running back's pure talent, he most assuredly opens up other opportunities especially for that quarterback. The defense must account for that running back. Thus, he changes the game before even stepping foot on the field.

Given the chance to have Peyton Manning or Chris Johnson locked up long-term, any team would jump at that opportunity.

Otter

Nothing to see here
Given the chance to have Peyton Manning or Chris Johnson locked up long-term, any team would jump at that opportunity.

NEVER lock up a running back long term, IMO. One caveat to that is, if its just a contract with no bonus, fine. But long term contracts typically have a ton of bonus money tied to them and you're hurting your salary cap over the years of that contract. A running back takes a beating, its not worth the gamble, there's a reason RBs only last an average of 3.5 yrs in the NFL

If I were the Titans, with their O line, I'd trade Johnson for picks. Shanahan for years in Denver took basically nobodies and made them into star RBs, its the O line that makes RBs in most cases...IMO, Johnson's contract request is crazy, I'd trade him to Buffalo or Oakland

homedepot20

He's dead serious, you gots a problem with that?? :tap::burning: :coffee: Sorry My Opinion !:buddies: Guess y'all are die hard Dead Skin Fans !

:lol: And yeah, I have Sonny top 5 in QBs, I won't say greatest, but its damn close at the top.[/QUO :coffee: Top 15 Maybe ! :whistle:

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
At the two extremes, there are running quarterbacks, guys who are primarily very athletic, and there are throwing quarterbacks. Some of those athletic guys could actually use their athleticism to beat you and not just run around looking kewl. Some of those throwers could actually put the ball where it needed to be when it needed to be there and were passers of the ball, not just throwers. And there is the great mass in the middle of guys with various combination's of the two.

If you wanted a guy to call his own plays, be 'in the game' thinking ahead of the defense and how to attack them and beat them, on every single play, who is the best passer of the football, ever, when you think of football and you think of quarterback and what that guys position is, what it entails, field general, leader, teammate, coach on the field, play the game for the FUN of it, the fun of beating the other guys...

...that guy is Christian Adolph Jurgensen.

End of story. :dye:

Otter

Nothing to see here
At the two extremes, there are running quarterbacks, guys who are primarily very athletic, and there are throwing quarterbacks. Some of those athletic guys could actually use their athleticism to beat you and not just run around looking kewl. Some of those throwers could actually put the ball where it needed to be when it needed to be there and were passers of the ball, not just throwers. And there is the great mass in the middle of guys with various combination's of the two.

If you wanted a guy to call his own plays, be 'in the game' thinking ahead of the defense and how to attack them and beat them, on every single play, who is the best passer of the football, ever, when you think of football and you think of quarterback and what that guys position is, what it entails, field general, leader, teammate, coach on the field, play the game for the FUN of it, the fun of beating the other guys...

:yay:

rich70

STEELERS NATION!!

# 18

Peyton Williams Manning

Born March 24th, 1976