Building New Trail at St. Mary's Lake

mpopetz

Hi all,

We're going to start building our first new trail at St. Mary's Lake in the area called the Salem Track (between the existing lake trail and Indian Bridge Rd).

So if you like to hike, mountain bike, trail run, etc....please read on.

What

We're adding a 1-2 miles (unmeasured as of yet) that can be hooked up off the existing lake trail. Some is existing trail that needs improving, some is brand new trail that needs designing.

Here's a brief slideshow with maps that attempts a summary of what we want to do in phase 1.
https://docs.google.com/presentatio...mZ0uL26Cm7epitfJ9zWfDESSgE/present#slide=id.p

Would love to have as much help as we can possible have, so please come out and help on one or both of these days.

These first two days will mostly be focused on clearing existing trail, then following months will focus on building new connectors and further trail improvement to existing trail.

When

The first two work days will be:
Friday March 16th 9am - 1pm
Sunday March 18th 9am - 1pm

This is going to be an ongoing process, so we're going to shoot for keeping work days to a hard stop at 4 hours so people can come in, help out, and get home and not burn an entire day on it. Regardless of how much we've gotten done, we're going to walk away from it at 1pm so nobody will feel obligated to stay longer than they want. We want to be building new trail for years to come, so don't want to burn anyone out.

Where

Meeting location Pending.

If anyone has a 4 wheel drive truck, Dave form DNR has offered to let us in from Indian Bridge so we don't have to walk/bike in. If not, we'll meet at the lake parking lot and walk/bike in. Fill out in the spreadsheet below if you have a truck you don't mind getting muddy.

How

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgSNcg82BS3bdHVuUEhjY0hBWjJnR19YRndOb1ZhRUE#gid=0

Let me know if you have any questions or just want more details.

Marcus
202 222 8563

bulldog

1. Has this plan been "approved" by proper authority?

2. I ran the entire 7.5 miles of the current lake trail just last night. For the most part, the trail is clear of downed trees. A lot of mud holes (as you'd expect), but mostly clear. That is, with the exception of a huge beach tree that must have fallen during the weekend wind storms. It is about 1/4 mile in on the exit end of the trail. That is going to take some work to get it moved.

3. I'll help and have a 4X4, a couple of chain saws and most importantly, a 4X4 quad with a 2500 pound winch on it that would be a huge help...if you can talk them into letting me take it in. Currently not allowed.

Last edited: