Burning skin?

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
First, I'll say that yes I know I should make a doctor's appointment, and if it doesn't go away I will do just that. But it's 10:30 at night and I'm playing the internet self diagnosis game.

So, last week (Wednesday I think) the back of my right hand started itching at the base of my thumb. The left one itched a little in the same spot, so I chalked it up to crappy hand soap (we were staying in a hotel) and/or dry skin. I didn't pay it too much attention but today it's progressed from the sporadic light itching to a faint but persistent burning sensation on my right hand around my knuckles and the same (but a little more faint) feeling on the outside of the crook of my elbow. It sort of feels like a day or two after burning myself with a flatiron. :lol: Nothing on the left hand since the mild itching on Wednesday. No rash, burn marks or any visible indication that there's something going on. Hydrocortisone cream doesn't do anything for it.

The internet says this is a symptom of shingles and I just do not have time to have shingles right now. :mad: Any ideas? I'm going to give it until Monday, unless it gets intolerable before then.

FireBrand

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Shingles is 'herpes zoster'.
Valtrex is most effective if taken in the first 48 hours of the onset
from what I have heard.
Getting it checked as soon as possible is better than waiting.

mamatutu

mama to two
Have you had chicken pox?

You beat me to it Rose about having had the chicken pox, because that causes shingles in later years. I don't know how old you are ,Nickel, but I have known people that have had shingles because the chicken pox virus never leaves our bodies, and is also a form of the herpes virus. Me and my hub just were told by our docs that we need to get vaccinated to prevent shingles. I hope it all goes well for you.

ValYumm

i like short shorts
You beat me to it Rose about having had the chicken pox, because that causes shingles in later years. I don't know how old you are ,Nickel, but I have known people that have had shingles because the chicken pox virus never leaves our bodies, and is also a form of the herpes virus. Me and my hub just were told by our docs that we need to get vaccinated to prevent shingles. I hope it all goes well for you.

:howdy:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
I'm 30. My cousin (around my age) had shingles last year - I know that the chicken pox virus never leaves your body but I've never had health issues so it's not something I ever worried about. I guess I should make an appointment sooner rather than later, but I don't have much faith in the base clinic as far as a diagnosis without any tangible symptoms. :ohwell:

mamatutu

mama to two
Herpes of the hand/arm? :lol:

Herpes is only transmitted through cold sores of the mouth or, you know, the other area down there. So, the more I thought about it yes, you could have shingles from chicken pox (not herpes, as we think of it); also, I had burning, itchy pinkish dry patches on my hands and other places, and it ended up being poison ivy; so are you outside alot, like in the woods or gardening? I was thinking this thread might be scaring you, so just wanted to add about poison ivy, which doesn't always present itself as little blister pimple bumps. Try Calomine, and if you don't have that, use baking soda mixed with water.

Last edited:

ValYumm

i like short shorts
Herpes is only transmitted through cold sores of the mouth or, you know, the other area down there. So, the more I thought about it yes, you could have shingles from chicken pox (not herpes, as we think of it); also, I had burning, itchy pinkish dry patches on my hands and other places, and it ended up being poison ivy; so are you outside alot, like in the woods or gardening? I was thinking this thread might be scaring you, so just wanted to add about poison ivy, which doesn't always present itself as little blister pimple bumps. Try Calomine, and if you don't have that, use baking soda mixed with water.

I have herpes on my under arms and yes it is wayyyy itchy!

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Yes, I know how herpes is transmitted and I know that shingles is a form of chicken pox. :lol:

I don't have any dry patches, discoloration, swelling or anything like that - my skin looks completely normal. It's just the back of my hand and the area next to the crook of my elbow. I'm not scared or uneasy - it is what it is and worrying about it won't change that. Although I hope I'm just being overly paranoid and dramatic and that this goes away overnight because I do not have the patience for shingles right now. Or whatever else this could be. :lol: