Bus trip to NYC

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I was looking forward to doing these when I retired, not so much anymore.

This would be a good way to visit NYC because you'd have a group of people, plus you wouldn't have to navigate Penn Station. Unfortunately now that NYC has implemented the vaccine mandates etc I'm interested in knowing how that will work with tour groups.

TPD

the poor dad
Just like some state governments Refuse to do business with those states that passed transgender bathroom laws, SMC Commissioners should not allow Parks and Rec to host trips to NYC.

black dog

Free America
This would be a good way to visit NYC because you'd have a group of people, plus you wouldn't have to navigate Penn Station. Unfortunately now that NYC has implemented the vaccine mandates etc I'm interested in knowing how that will work with tour groups.

My mother, sisters and when i was married my wife would take a bus trip in Oct-Nov each year to nyc.
They would christmas shop and take in two shows over a weekend.
They always seemed to enjoy it.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
My friends and I used to take the train into Penn Station from eastern LI often, like at Thanksgiving and Christmas. We'd go in to watch them blow up the Macy's balloons the night before the parade. And everyone was always in a good mood during Christmas. The window displays in the major department stores were great.

Glad I had the opportunity to do that before it all turned to crap.

black dog

Free America
. The window displays in the major department stores were great.

Glad I had the opportunity to do that before it all turned to crap.

Our dad would take us to DC before Christmas to see the store/warehouse windows at Hechts, Mont Wards, Sears and others to watch the automated puppets. Simple Times.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Our dad would take us to DC before Christmas to see the store/warehouse windows at Hechts, Mont Wards, Sears and others to watch the automated puppets. Simple Times.
Decades ago I took my young son to the DC Chinatown to go to a specialty store. Some bum offered to watch my truck for a buck. My son asked me why I didn't give that man money. On the way home, I showed him how the people that made poor life choices lived in DC. Mostly witnessing homeless sleeping over steam grates in December. Good times.

black dog

Free America
Decades ago I took my young son to the DC Chinatown to go to a specialty store. Some bum offered to watch my truck for a buck. My son asked me why I didn't give that man money. On the way home, I showed him how the people that made poor life choices lived in DC. Mostly witnessing homeless sleeping over steam grates in December. Good times.
Yep..
I was 10 in 68 with the riots burning DC, my dad put me in the back seat of his Impala and we drove down into DC to rescue my Gfather and two great uncle's that drove buses for DC Transit that had locked themselfs in a bus barn. A day or two later we went again to get my step-mothers father who was a building engineer that couldn't get out.. I remember him driving around just after the riots were over and telling me almost the same thing. What ****ing carnage, I can still see the 20,000+ Soldiers and Marines everywhere and beltfed machine guns on the Capitol steps...DC was burning...
Master Chief made sure it was always a learning experience growing up outside our Nations Capitol.

UglyBear

Yep..
I was 10 in 68 with the riots burning DC, my dad put me in the back seat of his Impala and we drove down into DC to rescue my Gfather and two great uncle's that drove buses for DC Transit that had locked themselfs in a bus barn. A day or two later we went again to get my step-mothers father who was a building engineer that couldn't get out.. I remember him driving around just after the riots were over and telling me almost the same thing. What ****ing carnage, I can still see the 20,000+ Soldiers and Marines everywhere and beltfed machine guns on the Capitol steps...DC was burning...
Master Chief made sure it was always a learning experience growing up outside our Nations Capitol.
So many questions here...
Did your Dad have a shotgun across his lap while driving there? Were you handed a gun a told to shoot if need be?
How was one man with a kid supposed to rescue three grown men in the middle of a riot?
Not questioning the guts of MC or his resolve, was just wandering how the logistics of the operation worked.
I guess when stuff hits the fan and your family needs rescuing, you just go, and dang the torpedoes.

black dog

Free America
So many questions here...
Did your Dad have a shotgun across his lap while driving there? Were you handed a gun a told to shoot if need be?
How was one man with a kid supposed to rescue three grown men in the middle of a riot?
Not questioning the guts of MC or his resolve, was just wandering how the logistics of the operation worked.
I guess when stuff hits the fan and your family needs rescuing, you just go, and dang the torpedoes.

He carried a 1911,
When we turned off Old Georgetown rd to Wisconsin ave he told me to to tell him if someone was trying to get on or in the car. And we drove into the burning smoke filled district.
I dont recall him being nervous or upset. It was an uneventful trip both times.
He served as a Navy UDT Frogman, during Korea and most of VN.
Im going to assume it was easier than going for a swim in the Mekong...

Louise

He carried a 1911,
When we turned off Old Georgetown rd to Wisconsin ave he told me to to tell him if someone was trying to get on or in the car. And we drove into the burning smoke filled district.
I dont recall him being nervous or upset. It was an uneventful trip both times.
He served as a Navy UDT Frogman, during Korea and most of VN.
Im going to assume it was easier than going for a swim in the Mekong...

Are you drunk posting? Just wondering.

willie

During the '68 riot, I had an "emergency" service call at a Government installation on 17th St. There was a roadblock at the 17th St. exit from the SW Freeway and a member of the 82nd Airborne told me he didn't care if Lyndon Johnson put in the call, nobody is going downtown. I was very happy to go back home.

Last edited: