Bush at 29%

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
SamSpade said:
I need to read the transcript. From Bush's statements in the past, the ONLY thing I liked was the statement that he was against amnesty.
Well, he SAID he was against amnesty, but then turned around and basically outlined it as his plan. I'm not sure what else you'd call it when they aren't going to be arrested or deported, but they ARE going to be offered legalization and citizenship.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
vraiblonde said:
Well, he SAID he was against amnesty, but then turned around and basically outlined it as his plan. I'm not sure what else you'd call it when they aren't going to be arrested or deported, but they ARE going to be offered legalization and citizenship.
Amnesty - the act of an authority (as a government) by which pardon is granted to a large group of individuals.
The Prez said:
I believe that illegal immigrants who have roots in our country and want to stay should have to pay a meaningful penalty for breaking the law, to pay their taxes, to learn English, and to work in a job for a number of years. People who meet these conditions should be able to apply for citizenship, but approval would not be automatic, and they will have to wait in line behind those who played by the rules and followed the law.
Doesn't sound like amnesty to me, but a plan that isn't an all or nothing kind of deal.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Ken King said:
Doesn't sound like amnesty to me, but a plan that isn't an all or nothing kind of deal.
Pooh. There's not going to be any penalty and you and I both know it.

But I'm not entirely against amnesty for the ones already here. I'd say they have 6 months to get legal or they'll be prosecuted. If they take care of business, we'll leave them alone.

But they definitely need to go after businesses because that would be the quickest way to stop illegal immigrants - dry up the jobs.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
vraiblonde said:
Pooh. There's not going to be any penalty and you and I both know it.

But I'm not entirely against amnesty for the ones already here. I'd say they have 6 months to get legal or they'll be prosecuted. If they take care of business, we'll leave them alone.

But they definitely need to go after businesses because that would be the quickest way to stop illegal immigrants - dry up the jobs.
I see the penalty already built in, "back of the line". I agree that those wanting to meld into our society should be given a means beyond just saying that they are now citizens. Like you said, start doing it right and they get a work visa.

And the only way to go after a business with any certainty that they knowingly hired illegal workers is for a verifiable means of validating employment eligibility like what was recommended. Make it easy on businesses to know who can or cannot work and then once in place be unmerciful in prosecution of the violators.

As it is now I think many of us could forge up some documents to show someone is eligible and it shouldn't be that easy to get away with.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Toxick said:
Personally, I'd like to see every law-enforcement agency from the DEA to the FBI, to Border Patrol to County-Mounties simply stop enforcing laws that are inconvenient or difficult to enforce.

All that time and energy wasted on trying to enforce laws that simply require too much effort.
:yeahthat: Basically.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>

2A, you can't deport 12-20 million people, it won't work...even in a perfect world. Before I go any further I hope this won't go into our personal lives as was exemplified yesterday by Sam and yourself. I only wish to speak with reason; I trust you'll do the same.<o:p></o:p>

Every time you move a grandiose amount of people you're GOING to encounter unwanted consequences. Examples of this in history include moving the Africans to the states, the Indians to the west (trail of tears), the Jews to concentration camps, the Japs in camps of their own in the west in WWII, and the Tibetans from China to India...just to name a few. You can't just uproot whole families and expect everything to be fine. It will assuredly be detrimental to those "illegals" and one might add, "who really gives a flying squirrel, they're illegal!!!"<o:p></o:p>

Say we deport them all at this instant...<o:p></o:p>

I wonder what the world would say when they look upon us. "Ah yes, America! They sure know their human rights." I bet you don't wonder or care for such things. However, you must agree that you need the rest of the world or your country would soon sink. You must also agree that we (America) can't just do anything and everything. There are other powers among us that we should worry about...that we should set an example for. Nah...maybe you're right...China's doing fine with their human rights...let's try it their way.<o:p></o:p>

Secondly, what about the children who are now born over here, they are now American citizens. Who will take care of them? Will you?<o:p></o:p>

Thirdly, who might be paying for these busses? Who might be paying for these 7/11 stings you proposed earlier? Who might be paying for all the new technologies to help with these stings? Who might be paying for all the organization to help with deporting these individuals? I bet it's you and me who will be paying, and while you may be willing to fork it over, I'm not. <o:p></o:p>

Fourthly, if 12-20 million people suddenly vanish, won't that have a bad affect on our economy? <o:p></o:p>

Lastly and most importantly, you're government screwed up and now you have to pay the price. The government should have dealt with this a long...long time ago. The people should have stepped up to the plate a long...long time ago. A day late and a dollar short doesn't get the job done and now you and the rest have to pay the price. That price is the accommodation of 12-20 million illegals. <o:p></o:p>

We may stop the leakage now but it's far too late to send the "rooted" ones packing. When I say "rooted", I mean whole families. If you think these millions are going quietly, you'd be wrong. Not only would this cause uproar with the illegals but also with the libs. This wouldn't end kindly and quickly and would be very costly...think lawyers for starters.<o:p></o:p>

So you see, there are far too many reasons why we should not deport these "illegals" even if the law says it's the 'right' thing to do. <o:p></o:p>

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Yes!

I see the penalty already built in, "back of the line".

This must be done in a way that is fair to those who did it right.

It would also be nice to state (and stick to), as a matter of public policy, the annual number of folks allowed in, a number believed to be a good balance of the needs of business, the impact on our stupid social safety nets and the interests of lower income workers.

In the mean time, none of this means squat until the border is CONTROLLED by us.

dustin

UAIOE
heh we could just move all our trash to the border and create a really really long dump. stack all the smashed compacted cars to form "the wall". 2 birds with one stone. :biggrin:

MMDad

Lem Putt
dustin said:
heh we could just move all our trash to the border and create a really really long dump. stack all the smashed compacted cars to form "the wall". 2 birds with one stone. :biggrin:
It wouldn't change the smell any, except that it would be coming from our side and not theirs.