Busted My 3 iron

smoothmarine187

I went out to play golf saturday at around 1 p.m, and needless to say, I was the only idiot out there playing at Chseapeake Hills. I was on hole #6, and I was just getting ready to take my next shot.......I pulled out my 3 iron.......took a swing.....and the head snapped right off! I couldn't believe it....I didn't even dig into the grass. The ball went about 100 yards and the head flew about 50 yards. The graphite and the Metal around it, snapped right off. I guess it was to cold to play. I just ordered a new Nike NDS 3 iron off of ebay for 27 dollars.........

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Nope...

smoothmarine187 said:
I went out to play golf saturday at around 1 p.m, and needless to say, I was the only idiot out there playing at Chseapeake Hills. I was on hole #6, and I was just getting ready to take my next shot.......I pulled out my 3 iron.......took a swing.....and the head snapped right off! I couldn't believe it....I didn't even dig into the grass. The ball went about 100 yards and the head flew about 50 yards. The graphite and the Metal around it, snapped right off. I guess it was to cold to play. I just ordered a new Nike NDS 3 iron off of ebay for 27 dollars.........

...graphite just goes when it goes.

My nephew was swinging one of my drivers with a graphite shaft a few summers ago and the head went farther that the ball.

On a side note, I was in a tournament years ago and when I got to the top pn my very first swing, the shaft, metal, broke in my hands, right in the middle of the grip. The starter told me I hadn't actually started play and was thus entitled to replace it.

They all wear out.

smoothmarine187

I have only been playing for a about a year with these clubs......maybe it's because I bought a cheap ass set of clubs. I didn't want to buy anything expensive because I wasn't sure if I was going to keep playing or not.

dustin

UAIOE
I broke the head off a putter one time.

But that's because I was using it on the fairway about 80 yards from the pin...

:roflmao: :killingme: :lmao: <----that's my dad and brothers up on the green

Pete

Repete
smoothmarine187 said:
Why are you using graphite shafted irons?

smoothmarine187

Pete said:
Why are you using graphite shafted irons?

According to clubmaking and equipment guru Tom Wishon, the difference in weight between graphite shafts and steel shafts will translate, for most golfers, into an additional 2-4 mph of swing speed with graphite. And that could mean an extra 6-12 yards of distance with a graphite shaft, compared to a steel shaft.

lol....actually I don't know the difference, this is the first set of clubs I have ever owned. They were cheap, so I bought them. I guess now I know why they were cheap.....lol........

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Not trying to sound snotty but do you know what your swing speed is now? If you are just getting into golf then the extra 2-4 mph is not going to help if you're slicing the hell out of your irons because graphite shafts can't keep up with your swing speed.

Too much flex=clubface stays open at impact resulting in a push or slice
Too little flex=clubface closed at impact resulting in a pull or hook

If you like graphite too much to switch to steel, then you should get your swing speed checked and get shafts to match your speed and tempo. I think anything over 90 mph swing speed should be swinging a "stiff" in steel, probably "extra" in graphite.

A good ball and a good swing will get you all the yardage you need. Besides 70% of golf is played from 150 yards and closer. The other 30% is played between your ears. :lmao:

Last edited:

smoothmarine187

kom526 said:
Not trying to sound snotty but do you know what your swing speed is now? If you are just getting into golf then the extra 2-4 mph is not going to help if you're slicing the hell out of your irons because graphite shafts can't keep up with your swing speed.

Too much flex=clubface stays open at impact resulting in a push or slice
Too little flex=clubface closed at impact resulting in a pull or hook

If you like graphite too much to switch to steel, then you should get your swing speed checked and get shafts to match your speed and tempo. I think anything over 90 mph swing speed should be swinging a "stiff" in steel, probably "extra" in graphite.

A good ball and a good swing will get you all the yardage you need. Besides 70% of golf is played from 150 yards and closer. The other 30% is played between your ears. :lmao:

At this point.....I'm just happy when I hit the ball....lol. I have a long way to go before I start worrying about my swing speed. Like I said, I only bought the graphite shaft clubs because they were cheap. I just wanted a starter set that I could beat the hell out of. Since I really enjoy playing now, I might actually buy a decent set of clubs. Hopefully they will have some good deals on the stuff at the golf show at the Dulles Expo center.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
smoothmarine187 said:
I might actually buy a decent set of clubs. Hopefully they will have some good deals on the stuff at the golf show at the Dulles Expo center.
Which day are you going up? I am going to post a "roll call" thread for an early Sat am departure. If you are intent on buying new clubs, you should have an idea of your swing speed. You should be able to find this out at the show. Also, they are going to ask you your driver distance and 5 iron distance. :yay:

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
I got a cheap set of clubs too because I spend more time doing yardwork with them than actually hitting the ball. Damn fun game though even if you suck.

Pete

Repete
Bustem' Down said:
I got a cheap set of clubs too because I spend more time doing yardwork with them than actually hitting the ball. Damn fun game though even if you suck.
Air likes hearing 2 grown men giggling like girls while he is teeing the ball up to hit his drive over water.

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
Pete said:
Air likes hearing 2 grown men giggling like girls while he is teeing the ball up to hit his drive over water.
The course here on base in Dahlgren has a place where you have to hit over the water. The water is about 15 feet from the tee. I hit it in the water. :lol:

Pete

Repete
Bustem' Down said:
The course here on base in Dahlgren has a place where you have to hit over the water. The water is about 15 feet from the tee. I hit it in the water. :lol:
#15 on Pax vexes poor Airgasm. :lol:

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
smoothmarine187 said:
You guys need to come and play at Cheseapeake hills........beautiful green fairways......perfect greens.........lol.
Then you don't want me to come play there. :lol:

Pete

Repete
smoothmarine187 said:
You guys need to come and play at Cheseapeake hills........beautiful green fairways......perfect greens.........lol.
The Otter golf posse knows Crabgrass Hills very well.