Butternut Squash

SailorGirl

During your grocery shopping, has anyone seen any pre-cut butternut squash? The commissary doesn't carry it - and the last time I attempted to cut one, was the last time. My SIL mentioned you can buy it pre-cut but that was a couple of years ago and she doesn't remember where. Thank you in advance.

Mavis

Try Giant, they quite often have it in the veg section. More expensive it worth it for convenience.

frequentflier

happy to be living
During your grocery shopping, has anyone seen any pre-cut butternut squash? The commissary doesn't carry it - and the last time I attempted to cut one, was the last time. My SIL mentioned you can buy it pre-cut but that was a couple of years ago and she doesn't remember where. Thank you in advance.
To make peeling easier, you can heat the whole squash up in the oven for a few minutes and let it cool. I am not sure why cutting one up would be so difficult if you have a sharp knife.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Butternut, spaghetti and acorn squash are all very hard. I just cut them in half and bake them with some butter and brown sugar. Then they get soft and just scoop it out.

Kyle

Just being a fly in the ointment...
PREMO Member
Butternut, spaghetti and acorn squash are all very hard. I just cut them in half and bake them with some butter and brown sugar. Then they get soft and just scoop it out.
:yay:

They definitely require a sharp knife, care and a little patience to prepare but its not that difficult.

Bonehead

Weis has it pre cut 2# for 5$. I recently baked one whole ( put some holes in the skin) at 375 for an hour and just scoop out the insides for soup.

Kyle

PREMO Member
And they hurt a lot when you drop them on your toe. The squash. The knife is a different issue....
I can assure you if you drop the knife on your toe… It'll hurt.

Kyle

PREMO Member
Yes it was. I broke a knife and cut a chunk out of my thumb. Never again.
I'm not being a smart ass here, but what kind of a knife are you using?

Butternut, acorn and spaghetti squash have a tough hide but I've never had a problem with a sharp chefs knife or vegetable cleaver.

SailorGirl

To make peeling easier, you can heat the whole squash up in the oven for a few minutes and let it cool. I am not sure why cutting one up would be so difficult if you have a sharp knife.
That knife was really sharp - maybe not strong enough though. All I remember was it was miserable and I was already in a panic from having to cook so much, my thumb bled like crazy and probably needed stitches, I still needed to get the oysters, and drive all the way to Leonardtown to pick up the stuffed ham.

By the way - what's a good place for stuffed ham? I skipped it last year.

SailorGirl

You need better knives. :lol:

Yeah - I'd probably need a better peeler too - that's why I'm going with precut. Did you see the beginning when the knife got stuck in the squash? That's what happened to me. Only I yanked it out and started on it again and within seconds managed to hit my thumb.