Buying a handgun

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
Anyone bought a handgun lately? I am going to get one and I will be getting it before 10-01-13. I can buy locally (Tackle Box) or I have a friend over in King George, Va. that knows a guy that owns a gun shop. Could probably get a better deal over there but I have to come over here (White Plains) to do paper work and get the gun in a couple days. What did you do or what did you do?

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
Anyone bought a handgun lately? I am going to get one and I will be getting it before 10-01-13. I can buy locally (Tackle Box) or I have a friend over in King George, Va. that knows a guy that owns a gun shop. Could probably get a better deal over there but I have to come over here (White Plains) to do paper work and get the gun in a couple days. What did you do or what did you do?

I bought mine from Accurate in Loveville, easy enough but the wait for the background check blows, you're going to have that wherever you buy from.

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
I bought mine from Accurate in Loveville, easy enough but the wait for the background check blows, you're going to have that wherever you buy from.

I forgot all about them.. Not far at all from me. You know their hours?
Do they have a good selection?

NextJen

Raisin cane
Make sure you check to see if your handgun will be released to you after 8 days. If not, and you have to wait to get it until after Oct. 1, you will be on the hook to take the new training that is required.

What are you thinking about getting?

Edited to add - I purchased a Ruger SR22 back in May and waited 94 days for it. My paperwork still hadn't come back, but the dealer finally released to me.

Midnightrider

I forgot all about them.. Not far at all from me. You know their hours?
Do they have a good selection?

before you buy go to MDshooters.com and look in the MD 2A section. there is a sticky with a list of dealers who are releasing on time. You need to get on it though, you are about to run out of time.

smilin

BOXER NATION
The Tackle Box released to me without approval, of course with a signed waiver, after I waited months on the MSP backround check. Not their fault, they were very helpful and even apologized for the wait
However you are running out of time. Make sure you ask the dealer if they will release before Oct. 1.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Are you allowed to purchase more than one gun at a time? If so, might as well buy what you want while you can.

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
What ACTUALLY happens on Oct 1? I have heard a number of things. How about if I buy something from a neighbor? What will I need to make me legal? Neighbor has a nice 9MM that I am thinking about.

nutz

What ACTUALLY happens on Oct 1? I have heard a number of things. How about if I buy something from a neighbor? What will I need to make me legal? Neighbor has a nice 9MM that I am thinking about.

If you're down near Pax, I just dealt with Jim and his crew at Bob's Sunoco (yes, 8 day release). Busy as heck, but still good service and nice people.
If you're closer to Waldorf, the guys at Keep Shooting are top notch. A person to person transfer can be done at the MSP barracks also. Either way, you both go, fill out the paperwork and the ffl keeps the gun until you are approved.
After Oct. 1, the state will be further limiting your choices for your benefit.

Bob's Sunoco That Fishing Place

Firearm, Sporting Goods, Military Surplus Online Store in Waldorf MD - Keepshooting®

ylexot

Super Genius
Are you allowed to purchase more than one gun at a time? If so, might as well buy what you want while you can.

Not unless you're a designated collector. Or at least that's the rule for regulated firearms. Not sure about basic (non-regulated) rifles and shotguns.

Midnightrider

Not unless you're a designated collector. Or at least that's the rule for regulated firearms. Not sure about basic (non-regulated) rifles and shotguns.

in MD you can buy as many unregulated as you want but only 1 regulated every thirthy days. The exceptions are the designated collector you mentioned and the "dealer sale". The idea of a dealer sale is that you can buy 2 at once if doing so is part of a sale or reduced price. What it really means is you can take possesion of 2 regulated guns at once but you would have to wait 60 days to buy another.

You can't take possession of most handguns on or after October 1st unless you've gotten a handgun qualification license, even if you're getting it from a neighbor (or other private seller) and even if you purchased the handgun or began the background check process before October 1st. So, you need to begin that process soon enough for 7 days to have passed before October 1st. You also need to make sure the seller will give you the handgun on the 8th day even if the application hasn't been returned by the MSP as not disapproved (they never actually approve you), which the seller can do.

If you don't already own a regulated firearm, getting a handgun qualification license may require you to, among other things, go through training. Even if you do own a regulated firearm already, you'll have to pay a fee and submit fingerprints to get the license.

For the firearms that aren't allowed to be sold after October 1st (e.g. AR-15s), you can take possession of them later so long as you began the process prior to that date. It's only the handguns for which you need to take possession before October 1st.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
For the firearms that aren't allowed to be sold after October 1st (e.g. AR-15s), you can take possession of them later so long as you began the process prior to that date..

Are you sure about that? I've seen it reported otherwise; that no banned firearms can be transferred after Oct 1..period.

Are you sure about that? I've seen it reported otherwise; that no banned firearms can be transferred after Oct 1..period.

Yes, I'm sure. It was something they discussed during consideration of the bill and they actually amended the language to make it clear that the exception applied to someone who had completed an application prior to October 1st and not just to someone who had a placed a purchase order for one.

They then refused to adopt a similar exception for handgun purchases begun before October 1st, with the suggested reasoning being that you could still acquire a handgun after that date - you just had to go through the extra step of getting the HQL - whereas, as far as the banned weapons were concerned, people that had started the process before that date wouldn't be allowed to own them without the exception.

See 4-303(b)(3) on page 13 of SB 281, as passed.