Buying a new car

PeoplesElbow

Considering on replacing my daily driver with a new car due to some life changing events.

1. What do I need to trade my current car, just the title? Its been so long I don't remember.

2. How far would you go to get a good price on what you want?

3. Is Maryland a pain in the ass if you buy a car in Virginia or Pennsylvania? What do I have to do if I buy a car out of state?

Anyone have any recommendations for a good Ford or Toyota dealer that is generally cheaper than the local ones?

1. You signing the title is enough to transfer. Private sales generally get you more money than a trade in.
  2. It was a unique vehicle, no dealers in MD, so 2 hours to the nearest dealer. I didn't have any issue with that.
  3. I bought a vehicle in VA. They had the ability to register in MD. See if the dealer you work with can do that too. If not, you get a temp tag and have to register yourself in MD. Make sure the other state does not collect taxes as you pay them in MD when you register. New vehicles registered in MD don't need an inspection, so no worries there.

NextJen

Raisin cane
Anyone have any recommendations for a good Ford or Toyota dealer
I feel like I got a pretty good deal on my Toyota at Koons of Annapolis when I bought a little over a year ago. With excellent credit, I was able to finance through Toyota Financial Services at 0% interest.
Good luck with your purchase.

TPD

the poor dad
If you had a loan on the vehicle you are trading, be sure to take the Lien Release along with the title. This is the number one thing missing when trading a vehicle. Most people don't have a clue that this document is a thing.

If you buy out of state and pay cash, no loan, then register the vehicle yourself in Maryland. Gives you another 30-45 days with your 6% titling tax before handing over to the state.

If you had a loan on the vehicle you are trading, be sure to take the Lien Release along with the title. This is the number one thing missing when trading a vehicle. Most people don't have a clue that this document is a thing.
I've only had one lien release in the past 40 years, recently. Took that to DMV with the original title, and got a new clear title. Costs a few $ but it's peace of mind if you have to sell, just in case you misplace the release.

PeoplesElbow

whats a lien release look like?

I have a pink title that doesn't have anything in the box that says its for the lien holder. Its been so long since I paid it off or traded vehicles I just dont remember.

This is only my 2nd daily driver in 18 years that I would be trading off.

PeoplesElbow

It looks very similar to a title, same format, different heading. Comes from your lending institution at the completion of the loan term. I'd show you, but had to turn it in when I got the clear title.
Ok, i think the last time I took in the lien release thinking it was the title and had to go to the MVA and get one.

Paid cash for my truck and the titles for both vehicles look identical.

Here ya go, turns out I copied it before turning in the original. The first one is the release, the 2nd is the title.

139098 139099

TPD

the poor dad
whats a lien release look like?

I have a pink title that doesn't have anything in the box that says its for the lien holder. Its been so long since I paid it off or traded vehicles I just dont remember.

This is only my 2nd daily driver in 18 years that I would be trading off.

Pink is usually the Security Interest Filing, Blue is usually the actual title.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Anyone have any recommendations for a good Ford or Toyota dealer that is generally cheaper than the local ones?
Believe it or not Waldorf Ford..

Had good luck last year with Lexington Park but their inventory is limited.

Had two dealers working the same vehicle for me, same starting sticker price. (Unknown to Waldorf that they were competing) Waldorf discounted a little over 10K off of sticker. I was communicating with the other dealer while working the deal, and they gave in.. Their Direct Quote.. We can't give away our Truck...

Both were offering rebates, and discounts, Purvis (I actually wanted to give them my business, good people) discounted a total of $3500 in rebates.. Waldorf got me the same Rebates plus an additional $6500 in dealer discounts. Before taking my trade into account Waldorf had already beaten Purvis.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Waldorf worked the numbers before I even walked into the showroom.. drove up, handed them the keys to my trade, went for a test drive (11 miles on the truck when we got back) and 2 hours later the deal was done.