buying a used car... tips?

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Starting to shop for a new used truck.

Quick questions..
Should I get financing before I go to the dealer?
Anybody feel strongly one way or the other about a 2000-2002 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab?
How many should I test drive before deciding?
Anyone feel like there's another Quad Cab compact truck that's better?

Elle

Happy Camper!
Originally posted by sleuth14
Should I get financing before I go to the dealer?

Are you going to finance through your bank or see where you can get the best deal? Sometimes the dealers can give you better percentage rates on barely used vehicles than a bank can. It wouldn't hurt to call your bank and do a pre application and then see what the dealer says and compare.

Vince

Just bought a car and got a better rate from the dealer than from my bank. Bank was offering 5.9 on used cars and the dealer gave me 5.4% :biggrin:

G

giggles04

Cedar Point has some great rates right now for used vehicles. Its like 4.9% ... so try there.

Vince

Originally posted by giggles04
Cedar Point has some great rates right now for used vehicles. Its like 4.9% ... so try there.

I know Navy Federal had 4.9% for their new car rates, but not for used. The best they could do was 5.9

Ponytail

I'm trying to resist saying anything here.

Anything wearing a Chrysler badge is a POS. unless you've built it yourself and you don't have to go to the dealer for ANYTHING.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I've always have great luck with them. I got over 120k on the original clutch in my LeBaron and finally retired it with over 160k.

I've heard other people having problems with Chrysler, but I never had. :shrug: Not peeing in your wheaties, PT. Sorry you've have problems with them. I'm just sharing my 20+ years of experience with them.

Now, the problems I could tell you about Fords... :cheesy:

Last edited:
K

Kizzy

Sleuth, You do not want a Dakota. You can call and talk to my hubby about that. We own a 2003. They are noted for transmission problems to be more specific.

I checked several forums and knew the pending problems of the vehicles I was considering buying. Also, spend the money and run a car fax report.

Jimbo

Dirty Old Man in Training
Originally posted by Ponytail
I'm trying to resist saying anything here.

Anything wearing a Chrysler badge is a POS. unless you've built it yourself and you don't have to go to the dealer for ANYTHING.

w0rd.

'Sombody' :rolleyes: just traded in a 1999 1500 4x4 w\5.9 because after it hit 100k, it started falling apart. Not from abuse or neglect either. At 50k, the front and rear differentials had to be rebuilt...

At 90k, 'sombody' had to rebuild their transfercase, and at 120k, it was seeping, Then the fun began... The tranny started slipping, and then the upper drive train went to crap...

The front left axle bearing went (meaning take the whole axle off and have the bearings repressed), one axleshaft sheared, and the locking hub froze (actually, I think the hub froze, sheared the axle, which f'd the differental and bearing))

Rather than sink another couple of grand into it, 'sombody' traded it for a Tundra and hasn't looked back (much).

PS Don't buy a used Blue and Silver 1999 Dodge Quadcab 1500 4x4 w\5.9, running boards, ranchero shocks, leather, power, XM Radio & Changer from anybody around here

(I do admit I miss the truck, it was bad ass, but I'm sure 'sombody' doesn't miss the maintainance)

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
I have a truck for sale

It is a nice one and I will cut you a good deal (just for Slueth).
It is a 1988 Ford Ranger.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Originally posted by sleuth14
Anybody feel strongly one way or the other about a 2000-2002 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab?

PM Tater ... he has the '02 Quad. :wink:

And check edmunds.com ... I saved myself about $7K when I bought the new ride in December with that site. :cool:

Ponytail

Since 1994, Dodge has had consistant problems with the transmissions in there trucks.

Mine was a 1997 1500 4x4.. I had 3 transmissions put in mine in the first 2 weeks I had it. 2 sets of tires, front end rebuild, vacuum pumps, stress crack in the windshield, and they never did figure out what the vibration was, and I have a letter from Chrysler stating that they are aware of the vibration problem inherent in the Full size dodge trucks and that they did NOT have a fix for it yet. And I KNOW that I'm leaving stuff out. With all of that, I had to CONSTANTLY fight them to fix it, and eventually entered a BIG fight with them to buy it back. All of that in 10 months, and 20,000 miles, and NEVER offroad.

sunnydaze

If you need to buy a used car make sure you try to find honest people to work with. Do not go to St. Mary's Motors off of Great Mills RD, your engine will blow up within a month.:jet:

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Since 1994, Dodge has had consistant problems with the transmissions in there trucks.

my brudder says the same thing. he works for a co. that makes parts for GM and he said that if you buy a newer dodge truck the engine will go out by 80K miles. :ohwell:

I like the Tacoma myself :cool: they have a four door in that too. price is a little steeper, but toyotas are pretty reliable.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Before buying a used vehicle make sure they let you test-drive it and while doing that take it by for a mechanic to give it the once over. I also recommend that you have your mechanic do the safety inspection. Sometimes these roadside used car dealers have a means other than the inspection of obtaining the documents. Regardless of the type of vehicle I will never buy a used one that hasn’t been inspected by my mechanic first.

As to type of vehicle the only ones I vehemently avoid are the Dodge/Chrysler products. Never have liked them, doubt if I ever will.

Vince

Mine was a 1997 1500 4x4.. I had 3 transmissions put in mine in the first 2 weeks I had it. 2 sets of tires, front end rebuild, vacuum pumps, stress crack in the windshield, and they never did figure out what the vibration was, and I have a letter from Chrysler stating that they are aware of the vibration problem inherent in the Full size dodge trucks and that they did NOT have a fix for it yet. And I KNOW that I'm leaving stuff out. With all of that, I had to CONSTANTLY fight them to fix it, and eventually entered a BIG fight with them to buy it back. All of that in 10 months, and 20,000 miles, and NEVER offroad.

Dayum PT, couldn't you get these guys on the Lemon Law?:confused: