Buying horse w/ recent abscess?

Amy

Would you purchase the horse if found to be otherwise sound? The abscess was located up near the white band. Aprox how long will it take for the area to grow out?
thanks!

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Would you purchase the horse if found to be otherwise sound? The abscess was located up near the white band. Aprox how long will it take for the area to grow out?
thanks!

I would probably do a contract stating such and some kind of guarantee.. It would grow out in 6-12 months...The horse should be sound though as soon as they "pop"

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
thanks!
While the horse is off due to the abscess it is impossible to tell if the horse is otherwise sound. The horse is not going to sell while lame. I would revisit in a couple weeks and reevaluate. Possibly a refundable small deposit to make you feel more comfortable...if owner is willing to work with you.

natbugs

If I really liked the horse in all other areas,I would see if they would let me take thehorse for 2 weeks so I could treat the abcess myself...and then I could also get to know the horses habits.....in case something was not disclosed....I would know the abcess was treated properly.once that pressure is relieved the horses should be sound in a day or two....just a matter of cleaning up the abcess and have it close up properly

Amy

Thanks for the responses everyone. I should have been more clear. The horse is sound now and being ridden. I plan to watch it being ridden in a lesson next weekend. I was wondering about the hoof regrowth process and if that could cause problems later on. And if the damaged area is just more of comestic problem... If I decide to buy the horse I am definitely getting a vet check with some xrays.

Tallyhoe- could you please PM me? I don't think we are talking about the same person.

devinej

usually abcess, once popped, are just cosmetic damage - my horse has had a couple that popped on the coronary band and you'd never know it now, but they do take a while to grow out, and it depends on the size of it how ugly it is. you may want to check with a vet before the purchase anyway just to be sure if you are that concerned - there are a few that can cause problems later on, but if the horse has strong enough hooves, it may be OK

W

WhoCares

I would never buy a horse from that person. She will sell you anything. She is in desperate need of money.:whistle:

The person who you maybe speaking about is NOT selling her a horse. I happen to know what horse Amy is talking about and this horse is not in St.Mary's county.

So :shutup: with trying to stir the pot.

Also the few horses that are for sale up there are very good lesson horses and well behaved.

Four*Leaf*Farm

RIP Quinn
usually abcess, once popped, are just cosmetic damage - my horse has had a couple that popped on the coronary band and you'd never know it now, but they do take a while to grow out, and it depends on the size of it how ugly it is. you may want to check with a vet before the purchase anyway just to be sure if you are that concerned - there are a few that can cause problems later on, but if the horse has strong enough hooves, it may be OK
:yeahthat: It may also be much more noticible if the horse has white hooves like my colt.. he has four all the way around, has never been lame, but has a couple growing out almost all the time on any one of his feet. They so far, have been purely cosmetic.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
:yeahthat: It may also be much more noticible if the horse has white hooves like my colt.. he has four all the way around, has never been lame, but has a couple growing out almost all the time on any one of his feet. They so far, have been purely cosmetic.
Wow! why do you think he gets so many abcesses??
I'm not sure exactly what makes them blow out where, but a horse who gets many of them on a regular basis would be a concern for me, in terms of how it's diet or lifestyle is affecting hoof growth/maintenance, or some other metabolic disease process. But that's me being a nervous nellie I suppose. I don't shoe mine, i prefer them to be healthy from within, top to bottom, and their feet to be strong as a result.

No feet, no horse. It could be a one time thing, or a re-occurring problem. Talk long and hard to your vet, her vet, have your farrier check her out and get a complete pre-purchase exam, and talk to the kids at the barn about the horse, they'll tell you all you really want to know. Are they upset she is leaving? if so, you can bet she'll be a good investment.

Last edited:

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
I would get a good vet exam and x-rays on ANYTHING that I am going to purchase whether is costs me nothing for the horse or $50K, especially if you are going to be showing the horse and possibly reselling one day.

tallyhoe

I would get a good vet exam and x-rays on ANYTHING that I am going to purchase whether is costs me nothing for the horse or $50K, especially if you are going to be showing the horse and possibly reselling one day.

I agree an expensive horse can cost the same as a free horse for care after the purchase. You might as well get something that will probably stay sound for awhile instead of having a pasture pet.