By popular demand: The Feral Cat Thread

Surf City Baby

New Member
Vraiblonde, thanks for posting the thread.

I suppose I should be jaded by now, but for all the time I've spent on message boards since I've been on line (about 5 years) I never get used to the nastiness. I have learned a great deal from most participants on message boards. I only wish I could learn to get a thicker skin.

Time now to get back out there and enjoy the end of this oh-my-god-how-fabulous! day.
 

Sharon

* * * * * * * * *
Staff member
PREMO Member
I'd forgotten how colorful Ken's replies used to be *lol*

“You are a group of dim-witted, half-bred, non-Don Juan Italian Meatball chewing impersonations of prepubescent slingshot range rejects who are seeking a target for your spit balls and straws at the cafeteria!” (spelling corrected for the literate of us), you must be of canine heritage or unknowing of your paternal lineage. You can call me names all day long and I am equal to your task.
:roflmao:
 
J

JohnnyRebel

Guest
vraiblonde said:
Rich:
Well a 22 will take care of the problem.Feral cats are not a part of our system in southern maryland we used to have bobcats down here ages ago but they are solitary cats and need a lot of room to roam feral cats are a nusaince.Shoot on sight! :twitch:
 

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
itsbob said:
Are they still Feral if they live on school property??
They sure are but that doesn't mean people should go ahead and shoot them. There are several animal welfare places available to care for them.
 

itsbob

I bowl overhand
SouthernMdRocks said:
They sure are but that doesn't mean people should go ahead and shoot them. There are several animal welfare places available to care for them.
That will kill them anyways after they sit unadopted after one or two weeks. If you have a choice, would you adopt a domesticated pet cat that someone had to give up, or would you adopt the feral cat that's going to tear your house apart.. or would you just adopt to let it run wild again?

I can't imagine ANYONE of sound mind adopting a feral cat, and I can't think of any facility that will keep one for five or ten years waiting for it to die naturally because nobody will adopt it. Even PETA euthanizes.

The are called FERAL for a reason, they are a non native species of animal introduced into an environment not conducive toeither their survival or the natural species survival in that area.. Who do you want to be kind to, the Feral cats or the animals that are SUPPOSED to be there.. Like the Herons, or the Egrets, blue birds, hummingbirds.. etc... etc... Persoanlly I think there should be a bounty on Feral animals of all types. Dogs loose with no collar.. *POP* $10... kitty on the loose.. *POP* another $10, I can now take BG to the movies.
 
Last edited:

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
itsbob said:
That will kill them anyways after they sit unadopted after one or two weeks. If you have a choice, would you adopt a domesticated pet cat that someone had to give up, or would you adopt the feral cat that's going to tear your house apart.. or would you just adopt to let it run wild again?

I can't imagine ANYONE of sound mind adopting a feral cat, and I can't think of any facility that will keep one for five or ten years waiting for it to die naturally because nobody will adopt it. Even PETA euthanizes.

The are called FERAL for a reason, they are a non native species of animal introduced into an environment not conducive toeither their survival or the natural species survival in that area.. Who do you want to be kind to, the Feral cats or the animals that are SUPPOSED to be there.. Like the Herons, or the Egrets, blue birds, hummingbirds.. etc... etc... Persoanlly I think there should be a bounty on Feral animals of all types. Dogs loose with no collar.. *POP* $10... kitty on the loose.. *POP* another $10, I can now take BG to the movies.
Ok so some aren't good for adoption but some are. I think I would rather them be put to sleep then have some old coot running around a school yard shooting them. I have a couple barn cats that I rescued from another barn that are wonderful pets. I had them fixed, up to date on their shots and they are well fed and get plenty TLC. Sorry you don't find that as an option.
 

itsbob

I bowl overhand
SouthernMdRocks said:
Ok so some aren't good for adoption but some are. I think I would rather them be put to sleep then have some old coot running around a school yard shooting them. I have a couple barn cats that I rescued from another barn that are wonderful pets. I had them fixed, up to date on their shots and they are well fed and get plenty TLC. Sorry you don't find that as an option.
You didn't answer my question..

If a choice would you adopt a feral cat, or someones pet cat?

I'm thinking if there are already 30 - 50 former PET cats at a shelter, and 50% or more of them are going to get the little prick, I don't believe a feral cat has a prayer, but please if I'm wrong in my assumption enlighten me!

And if they are Feral, I would think putting them into a cage at a shelter would be beyond cruel.
 

SoftballCrazy

New Member
itsbob said:
That will kill them anyways after they sit unadopted after one or two weeks. If you have a choice, would you adopt a domesticated pet cat that someone had to give up, or would you adopt the feral cat that's going to tear your house apart.. or would you just adopt to let it run wild again?

I can't imagine ANYONE of sound mind adopting a feral cat, and I can't think of any facility that will keep one for five or ten years waiting for it to die naturally because nobody will adopt it. Even PETA euthanizes.

The are called FERAL for a reason, they are a non native species of animal introduced into an environment not conducive toeither their survival or the natural species survival in that area.. Who do you want to be kind to, the Feral cats or the animals that are SUPPOSED to be there.. Like the Herons, or the Egrets, blue birds, hummingbirds.. etc... etc... Persoanlly I think there should be a bounty on Feral animals of all types. Dogs loose with no collar.. *POP* $10... kitty on the loose.. *POP* another $10, I can now take BG to the movies.
There are actually feral cat colonies in place for feral cats by some rescue groups. They are spayed/neutered and are kept up to date w/ their shots. (rabies shots are updated too). One way feral cats come to be: Joe Homeowner moves and doesn't take his unspayed cat, cat comes into heat and has a batch of kittens, w/ no human contact the kittens (and their kittens, and on down the line) become feral...no socialization w/ humans/etc...
 

SoftballCrazy

New Member
itsbob said:
You didn't answer my question..

If a choice would you adopt a feral cat, or someones pet cat?

I'm thinking if there are already 30 - 50 former PET cats at a shelter, and 50% or more of them are going to get the little prick, I don't believe a feral cat has a prayer, but please if I'm wrong in my assumption enlighten me!

And if they are Feral, I would think putting them into a cage at a shelter would be beyond cruel.
I don't think you can adopt a feral cat? Pretty sure they don't have any ferals at the shelter...I only know of the cat colonies for ferals...might be wrong though.
 

itsbob

I bowl overhand
SoftballCrazy said:
I don't think you can adopt a feral cat? Pretty sure they don't have any ferals at the shelter...I only know of the cat colonies for ferals...might be wrong though.
That's kind of my point.. a shelter won't waste their time, or be that cruel to the animal. They may take them in, but they are going down for the dirt nap as soon as you walk out the door.
 

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
itsbob said:
You didn't answer my question..

If a choice would you adopt a feral cat, or someones pet cat?

I'm thinking if there are already 30 - 50 former PET cats at a shelter, and 50% or more of them are going to get the little prick, I don't believe a feral cat has a prayer, but please if I'm wrong in my assumption enlighten me!

And if they are Feral, I would think putting them into a cage at a shelter would be beyond cruel.
I guess if I was looking specifically for an indoor cat, one that is domesticated would work out best. Feral cats aren't always wild and spastic. There are several farms that like to have barn cats to reduce the rodents population, therefore a "feral" cat would most likely work best. I know all can't be saved and I know some are too wild to become pets but I still would rather those be put to sleep then become shooting targets for some people. I also feel that all these animals should be fixed and taken care of even if they are barn cats.

True feral cats would not fair well being caged. Most of them would be deemed not available for adoption and put to sleep right away.
 

SoftballCrazy

New Member
itsbob said:
That's kind of my point.. a shelter won't waste their time, or be that cruel to the animal. They may take them in, but they are going down for the dirt nap as soon as you walk out the door.
Yeah...I only know of a rescue in Calvert that takes them in...but not for adoption (to my knowledge anyway...)
 

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
Nucklesack said:
Why do you have Barn Cats?

Because you want / need to keep the "pests" down (a "pest" to you, could be some others pets).

Do you feel the torture, your barn cats inflict on the mice/rats/possums isnt Animal Cruelty? and dont try to say Cats arent cruel, they will play with a mouse and eventually kill it even when they dont eat it.

You justify having animals that are knowingly cruel to other animals, yet get upset at someone else that doesnt want what he determines Pests around.

the only difference is your "Definition" of Pets and Pests
No you're going overboard. I doubt a field mouse is someones pet. Yes cats do play usually before they kill but other animals do as well. And BTW, yes I do have barn cats.
 
Top