By popular demand: The Feral Cat Thread; circa 1996-2001

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
SoftballCrazy said:
Yeah...I only know of a rescue in Calvert that takes them in...but not for adoption (to my knowledge anyway...)

I know of a rescue that takes care of the feral cats running around a tree farm. They make sure they get all the neccessary care and try to adopt out the young ones that aren't too wild.

SoftballCrazy

SouthernMdRocks said:
I know of a rescue that takes care of the feral cats running around a tree farm. They make sure they get all the neccessary care and try to adopt out the young ones that aren't too wild.
Yep, some of the kittens can be saved and tamed. Husband found some kittens when they were tearing down a bldg, a rescue group took them, they let him use a trap and he trapped the Momma cat too. The rescue group had her spayed, the kittens were going to be adopted out...

Winn Dixie

Song of the South
Nucklesack said:
Why do you have Barn Cats?

Because you want / need to keep the "pests" down (a "pest" to you, could be some others pets).

Do you feel the torture, your barn cats inflict on the mice/rats/possums isnt Animal Cruelty? and dont try to say Cats arent cruel, they will play with a mouse and eventually kill it even when they dont eat it.

You justify having animals that are knowingly cruel to other animals, yet get upset at someone else that doesnt want what he determines Pests around.

the only difference is your "Definition" of Pets and Pests

Barn cats don't sit around looking for mice to kill. In fact, they are usually well fed cats who, by their mere presence on the farm, keep mice away. Now that doesn't mean they don't kill a mouse once in a while, but even mice get smart and move on to safer havens. :howdy:

SouthernMdRocks

Winn Dixie said:
Barn cats don't sit around looking for mice to kill. In fact, they are usually well fed cats who, by their mere presence on the farm, keep mice away. Now that doesn't mean they don't kill a mouse once in a while, but even mice get smart and move on to safer havens. :howdy:

:howdy: Isn't that the truth, my cats are a little on the chubby side. :lmao:

SouthernMdRocks

Nucklesack said:
No doubt, but you and SouthernMdRocks have avoided my point, the fact that Feral Cats are Pests. And just as with other Pests sometimes it is neccessary to kill them in order to remove the problem.

The ONLY DIFFERENCE is that you see cats as Pets and cant or wont distinguish that they can also be PESTS. You approve of using Cats to remove the Pests at the barn, AND in a less humane way, than shooting the pests outright. Cats will and do torture the pests, ESPECIALLY if they are well fed chubby kitties.

Mice, Rats and Possums (just as Cats) can be other peoples Pets, you maynot like them, but its true. to you they are Pests. the only difference is the perception between who's Pet and who's Pest.

Nope, I didn't avoid your point at all. Sure feral cats can be pests but there are other alternative ways to dealing with them vs. the old coot running around the school yard shooting them.

Feral cats make great barn cats if they aren't too crazy, it gives them a purpose (so they are no longer "pests") or the ones that are too wild when caught get put to sleep, more humane then using them for target practice.

I use to have mice and hamsters as pets. The ones running around the barn being "pests" surely aren't anyones pets. I can say that I seldom find killed mice around my barn, thankgoodness I don't find rats,,,therefore I guess either my cats are keeping them away or they are atleast eating them rather then waste their kill. My guess is they are staying away since my cats are fed daily.

SouthernMdRocks

Nucklesack said:
And once again, you missed the point.

A feral Cat and a mouse in your barn, ARE THE SAME THING. PESTS.

You approve and condone, using your Cats to kill one type of Pest (the MICE), and since your cats are chubby and well fed, that means most likely they are killing them slowly, but definetly not humanely (sp?)(even could say torturing them) and not for food.

yet you dont approve of someone killing another Pest quickly and Humanly and cant come to grips with the fact that the Feral cats are no different than the mice/rats/and possums (let alone squirrels, birds, frogs etc) that your cats can and do kill (even if you dont see them)

You are just :deadhorse !! Your point was not MISSED, just not agreed with. Whether or not that feral cat is a "pest" is the subject to the opinion of the person dealing with it.

If indeed it is someone's pest then send it to the SPCA and have it dealt with in a humane way. I don't think the SPCA will take the pest field mice in, therefore mother nature takes care of that, ie..prey vs. predator. Might not be humane to the mouse but just a fact of life. I hear what you are saying but just don't think you can equate a person shooting cats for whatever reason with an act of mother nature.

SouthernMdRocks

Nucklesack said:
so will the SPCA come out? or is it up to the person who has to deal with the Pest Feral Cat to take the Feral Cat to the SPCA?

They'll come out to get them, so will several other rescues as well.

Winn Dixie

Song of the South
Winn Dixie said:

Wow, what do you think the chances are that two people think I'm a POS within a minute of each other: :whistle:

By popular demand: The... 10-17-2006 09:56 AM And your handle should be POS
By popular demand: The... 10-17-2006 09:55 AM and your handle should be POS

Not to say it hasn't happened before, but not quite that close together. :lmao:

SouthernMdRocks

Winn Dixie said:
Wow, what do you think the chances are that two people think I'm a POS within a minute of each other: :whistle:

Must be the same old compulsive bottom feeder. :howdy:

SoftballCrazy

Winn Dixie said:

Sorry WD... You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Winn Dixie again.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
Every time I give my opinion on Feral Cats I get "red Karma".

Looking for Red again.

Kill every Feral Cat you can before they kill every song bird, rabbit, quail, etc.

Animals4Life

river rat said:
I refuse to read all that.

Could ya sum it up and just tell me where to pick up the trap?

You can borrow a trap from the Well Pet Clinic or you can call Animal Control and they will bring one. Once you catch the kitty you usually have to take it yourself to the shelter or call Animal Control to get them to come pick it up. If you trap and release it somewhere else it is considered dumping and there is a hefty fine. I also have a trap that my friend is using trying to catch a ground hog but if you need it let me know and I can get it back for you to use. Trust me when I say I have trapped many a cat both feral and just someone's disregarded stray cat and it is entirely up to you how to handle the situation. I have done both, I have trapped cats, spayed and neutered them and released them on farms or adopted them out elsewhere and I have also taken some to the shelter. You kind of just have to do what is best for the animal and yourself and just do what you can do.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Animals4Life said:
You can borrow a trap from the Well Pet Clinic or you can call Animal Control and they will bring one. Once you catch the kitty you usually have to take it yourself to the shelter or call Animal Control to get them to come pick it up. If you trap and release it somewhere else it is considered dumping and there is a hefty fine. I also have a trap that my friend is using trying to catch a ground hog but if you need it let me know and I can get it back for you to use. Trust me when I say I have trapped many a cat both feral and just someone's disregarded stray cat and it is entirely up to you how to handle the situation. I have done both, I have trapped cats, spayed and neutered them and released them on farms or adopted them out elsewhere and I have also taken some to the shelter. You kind of just have to do what is best for the animal and yourself and just do what you can do.
Make it fun.. why just Neuter or Spay? De-claw them too, THEN release them..