Bye Bye Greg Blache!

angelbaby

Redskins Sign Jim Haslett

After being rebuffed by Mike Zimmer, the Washington Redskins have reportedly found a new defensive coordinator. Former Rams head coach Jim Haslett has agreed to join Mike Shanahan and the Redskins as their defensive leader, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

Haslett is coming off a successful season in the United Football League, where he captained the undefeated Florida Tuskers, who made it to the league's first championship game before ultimately falling short of the title.

The new defensive coordinator has previously held the same position in New Orleans, Pittsburgh, and St. Louis. He's also served as the head coach both in New Orleans and St. Louis, compiling a 47-61 record over his head coaching career. He was named 2000 NFL Coach of the Year in his first season as a head coach, leading the Saints to a surprising 10-6 record and division title before losing in the divisional round of the playoffs.

As defensive coordinator in Pittsburgh, Haslett led a defense that finished in the top 12 in scoring defense in each of his three seasons, despite the team finishing with a winning record in just one of those years. His Rams defenses weren't so lucky, finishing near the bottom of the league in both his seasons as defensive coordinator.

After taking over as head coach in St. Louis early in the 2008 season, Haslett managed just a 2-10 record, with both wins coming in the first two weeks after being named interim head coach. A ten-game losing streak to close the season earned him a dismissal, despite four of the final five losses being of the four-points-or-less variety.

The Redskins have had a busy offseason, hiring Mike Shanahan to replace Jim Zorn as head coach. Shanahan instilled his son Kyle as the offensive coordinator, and the younger Shanahan's passing offense in Houston was one of the best in the league. Should Haslett improve the Redskins' 18th-ranked scoring defense, the trio of new coaches could bring a quick turnaround to the Washington Redskins franchise.

:yahoo:

BuddyLee

Football addict
No more corners playing 15 yards off the ball.

No more prevent on every other play.

No more sitting back and not blitzing.

:yay:

Beta84

They're out to get us
So they brought in an old retread that hasn't done very well as of late. not a very exciting hire, but i guess if you hated your current DC then it can't be too bad.

BuddyLee

Football addict
So they brought in an old retread that hasn't done very well as of late. not a very exciting hire, but i guess if you hated your current DC then it can't be too bad.
Haslett, 54, played as a linebacker for eight years in the NFL, seven of those with the Buffalo Bills. He rose to coaching prominence with the Steelers from 1997-99, then became the head coach of the New Orleans Saints from 2000-2005, leading the franchise to its first playoff victory.

Haslett's most recent NFL experience came as the defensive coordinator of the St. Louis Rams from 2006-08, though he was named interim head coach of the Rams midway through that final season. He spent 2009 as the head coach of the Florida Tuskers of the fledgling United Football League, leading his team to a 6-0 record and an appearance in the championship game.

"I think it's a great fit," said Randy Mueller, an executive with the San Diego Chargers who hired Haslett to be the head coach in New Orleans. "My first reaction was I was very happy for him, and happy for Mike, because he made a great choice. The guy is just an excellent coach."

Haslett is the second member of Shanahan's staff to officially be announced, joining assistant head coach-running backs Bobby Turner. Kyle Shanahan, Mike's son and the new offensive coordinator, was due into the team's Ashburn headquarters Friday night after his wife gave birth this week.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/red...d-have-su.html

Haslett hasn't been much of a head coach besides the UFL but he has been a decent DC. I'll take a wait and see approach and rejoice that Blatche is gone.

Beta84

They're out to get us
oh man, they used Randy Mueller as the source of him being a "good fit"? I was really happy when the Fins got rid of him. :lol:

BuddyLee

Football addict
oh man, they used Randy Mueller as the source of him being a "good fit"? I was really happy when the Fins got rid of him. :lol:
Never heard of him, probably a good thing.

He's an executive with the Chargers now. Continuing his losing ways.:lol: