Bye, bye, to The Enterprise...

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Today was the last edition of the paper. On the 17th, they will debut the new "Southern Maryland News"...

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
A post from Jason Babcock in a local FB group:

I thought it was important for us to note that today's edition of The Enterprise newspaper is its last. Started up initially in 1882 as a Republican paper for that year's election, it came back in March 1883 and was published continually ever since, up until today's issue. By next week, The Enterprise will be melded together with the Maryland Independent and Calvert Recorder into Southern Maryland News. It's sad to see.

Grumpy

Surprising to me that there are any print papers anymore..Saw a Sunday Post recently, looked like a Saturday edition it was so skinny.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I think I recently renewed my subscription...
First I and obviously a bunch of other people have heard of it. Just directs you to somdnews.com which has NO information about the change. Since today was the last day for The Enterprise and the new rag doesn't come out until next Friday, I have to wonder if it will now be published once a week.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
First I and obviously a bunch of other people have heard of it. Just directs you to somdnews.com which has NO information about the change. Since today was the last day for The Enterprise and the new rag doesn't come out until next Friday, I have to wonder if it will now be published once a week.
I never did set up my online account. I found it very cumbersome.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
When they went to $53 for old news and 2/3 advertisements, I decided to use the money for paper table clothes for the crabs.
I used to enjoy Southern Living. Not anymore. I think Sunset is the only one I still get.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Surprising to me that there are any print papers anymore..Saw a Sunday Post recently, looked like a Saturday edition it was so skinny.

They're expensive to produce and advertisers are flocking to Google, Facebook, etc. They think the answer to revenue problems is to set up pay walls for their online news, which further turns readers away. To put the icing on the cake they're letting their news staff run wild with nonsense nobody wants to read.

Get woke, go broke.

BernieP

Resident PIA
They still owe me for six months of non-delivery. I'm not holding my breath
consider it your contribution to a cleaner environment, think of all the trees saved and the landfills spared.
it would be more useful as toilet paper.

frequentflier

happy to be living
After years of subscribing (and advertising) in the Calvert Recorder, I quit because there was hardly any local news and all AP articles and it was pretty boring.