Cafe des Artistes is going to be Dos Amigos.

tuffenuff2

Apparently they can't get it up to code and that's what happened to the previous owners as well and they ended up running out of money.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Apparently they can't get it up to code and that's what happened to the previous owners as well and they ended up running out of money.

How so? I thought the previous owners dumped a #### ton of money into the place and didn't get the business they expected. I ate there once and was not impressed and never went back.

Potomac

Driving through town the other night, the lights were on inside & I was disappointed to see that they already had big, ugly booths in place. I was hoping they would stick to tables/chairs all around. Anyway, I remain hopeful it will be great food/service & they can make a go of it

Hank

my war
Working and living south of our borders, I've been to some amazing restaurants. If they bring it well...it will be worth the visit.

Like the food I've eaten in Shenzhen, Guanzhou, Shanghai, etc..makes the crap we get here look like poo.

Ok. Great. So what does a fansy dish of Mexican consist of?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Ok. Great. So what does a fansy dish of Mexican consist of?

You ever eaten in a high-end Mexican restaurant in Mexico City, for example? I don't know the names of many of the entres (except tacos etc..but the stuff they put on them makes the ones here look pretty sad) without looking them up but its quite different and varies rom the "Tex-Mex" standard fare they serve up in the average Mexican restaurant around here. I found the same to be true in Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You ever eaten in a high-end Mexican restaurant in Mexico City, for example? I don't know the names of many of the entres (except tacos etc..but the stuff they put on them makes the ones here look pretty sad) without looking them up but its quite different and varies rom the "Tex-Mex" standard fare they serve up in the average Mexican restaurant around here. I found the same to be true in Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador.

You better sit down because I have a shock for you:

Texas is filled with Mexicans.

Like, from Mexico.

And a great number of the Mexican restaurants cater to Mexicans and not the Taco Bell crowd.

Which means I know how to eat authentic Mexican chow and have done so many many times without leaving the United States, although I've eaten Mexican chow in Mexico as well.

So describe one of the fansy dishes. Not trying to bust on you, I'm genuinely curious what we're talking about here.

Chris0nllyn

Keeping the slow kid busy ^. ;-)

Yea, Adam Zimmern, all you have to do is tell us one single thing you ate at the taste testing you went to. Surely Pepe told you what you were munching on.

All that time spent on El Salvador and Mexico City, it shouldn't be this hard.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Yea, Adam Zimmern, all you have to do is tell us one single thing you ate at the taste testing you went to. Surely Pepe told you what you were munching on.

All that time spent on El Salvador and Mexico City, it shouldn't be this hard.

"all that time spent" happened to be as long as 44 years ago, child. I lived in El Salvador in the mid 1970s for a while. Have not been back to Mexico working since about 1990.

When I stop in and Pepe says "I got something you need to try", I try it. I have not had to pay for a meal there in years. ;-)