Cafe des Artistes is going to be Dos Amigos.

Chris0nllyn

"all that time spent" happened to be as long as 44 years ago, child. I lived in El Salvador in the mid 1970s for a while. Have not been back to Mexico working since about 1990.

When I stop in and Pepe says "I got something you need to try", I try it. I have not had to pay for a meal there in years. ;-)

You're so cool.

Is what you try fancy, or typical tex-mex?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
"all that time spent" happened to be as long as 44 years ago, child. I lived in El Salvador in the mid 1970s for a while. Have not been back to Mexico working since about 1990.

When I stop in and Pepe says "I got something you need to try", I try it. I have not had to pay for a meal there in years. ;-)

Who cares? Gimme food! Describe what you ate.

SamSpade

WHAT???

What kind of person doesn't love Mexican food???

I don't know what to say.....

Mexican took a LONG time to grow on me. I used to hate it. Easily all the way up to age 30.
Mostly because all the corn, beans and stuff irritated my stomach.
And that's saying a lot, since I often ate spicy Indian food.

Now - I can say it's just ok. I won't object if my family votes Mexican,
but it is never going to be my first choice.

MiddleGround

Anyone that has been to anywhere in Central or South America, went to a "fancy" restaurant, and was served what we know as 'Mexican Food' here.. I have a news flash..

You were definitely NOT in a fancy restaurant :lmao:

officeguy

I just can't love Mexican food.

Most of the mexican food you get in the US is what a construction worker in mexico would stick in his lunchbox. Yes, it's mexican, but it only represents a small slice of what the country has to offer. It's like judging 'american cuisine' after you have been to Burger King and KFC.

edinsomd

Who cares? Gimme food! Describe what you ate.

In our 4 star hotel in Guayaquil, Ecuador, dining outdoors, the staff would grill all sorts of meats. The idea was to grab a plate and load up on whatever sides you like, and the waiters would wander around with with the meats on, basically swords. They would plunk the point down on your plate, you point, and they start carving until you say "Halto!" Grilled steaks, pork, chicken, sausage, all very good, if a bit unnerving.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
In our 4 star hotel in Guayaquil, Ecuador, dining outdoors, the staff would grill all sorts of meats. The idea was to grab a plate and load up on whatever sides you like, and the waiters would wander around with with the meats on, basically swords. They would plunk the point down on your plate, you point, and they start carving until you say "Halto!" Grilled steaks, pork, chicken, sausage, all very good, if a bit unnerving.

So like Fogo de Chao? I love those places!

BernieP

Resident PIA
It's being set up by the Monterey group (that owns Plaza Azteca) but the plan is to put out a fancier array of food than the typical Mex-Tex joint that we have so many of around the county.

you don't realize what crap they throw on the plate until you go to a really good place.

I could not tell the difference between the various slop houses around here. Menus all look the same (dishes), all come with bland rice and tasteless bean paste.

Next time you are up by the Capital One Arena go to Rosa Mexicano. It's not cheap like the places around here, but OMG, the food is fantastic, presentation, flavor, cooked in authentic style of several regions of Mexico

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

Ate at a place similar to that in Quatemala. You wouldn't even know it was there from the street. Once inside the massive double doors, it was a courtyard ringed with 2 stories of rooms and balcony all around overlooking the large courtyard. We stayed in some of the rooms and were served some amazing food in their restaurant dining room. Lot of difference meats and sausages...not from swords though...

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Next time you are up by the Capital One Arena go to Rosa Mexicano. It's not cheap like the places around here, but OMG, the food is fantastic, presentation, flavor, cooked in authentic style of several regions of Mexico

This is what I was thinking of when I think of "Fancy" Mexican. El Vez in Philly comes to mind too. Traditional dishes with authentic flare. Guacamole with goat cheese, pistachios, and sundried tomatoes, sea bass tacos, short rib enchiladas, blood orange margaritas: stuff like that. Presentation, flavor, authenticity with a twist...stuff you won't see at the typical local Mexican joint. Something a little more than the rice and beans. If that's similar to what Dos Amigos might be, I'll happily give them a try and frequent often if it's worth it.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
Ate at a place similar to that in Quatemala. You wouldn't even know it was there from the street. Once inside the massive double doors, it was a courtyard ringed with 2 stories of rooms and balcony all around overlooking the large courtyard. We stayed in some of the rooms and were served some amazing food in their restaurant dining room. Lot of difference meats and sausages...not from swords though...

Sounds like Antigua....lots of places like that there.....

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Sounds like Antigua....lots of places like that there.....

In fact, that's exactly where it was. ;-)

We'd trekked all the way from San Salvador in a Jeep Wagoneer to buy new tires for it and have them installed there (difference in tire import duties between El Salvador and Guatemala so large that it justified a trip like that..crazy). While there, we visited some Mayan ruins and stayed overnight at that amazing place in Antigua.