Cal Ripken Jr Hall of Fame

gumbo

FIGHT CLUB !
The eyes of the baseball world will turn to Cooperstown for Hall of Fame Induction Weekend, July 27-30, when Tony Gwynn and Cal Ripken Jr., two of the most anticipated inductees in recent years, are enshrined. The induction ceremony will take place Sunday, July 29, with a record crowd expected to attend. Several events are planned for the festive weekend. Go See Cal Go See Cal Go See ...allhalloffame.org/visit/hof_weekend/index.jsp

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Go Cal! :yahoo: I wish I could be there, but a girlfriend (who is a Cal fanatic) is going and will give me a blow-by-blow of all the hoopla. :lol:

gumbo

FIGHT CLUB !
jazz lady said:
Go Cal! :yahoo: I wish I could be there, but a girlfriend (who is a Cal fanatic) is going and will give me a blow-by-blow of all the hoopla. :lol:
Then you can give me some of the Blow by Blow Hoopla. :whistle:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
MoochCat said:
Cal is one cool Dude and the Os have not been the same since..IMHO...

Oh, I definitely agree. Again, he may not have been THE most outstanding player ever (but in my opinion he was the best SS I've ever seen) but he was a total TEAM player. He added that indefinable cohesiveness a team needs to make them play together as one and led by example in his work ethic.

donbarzini

jazz lady said:
Oh, I definitely agree. Again, he may not have been THE most outstanding player ever (but in my opinion he was the best SS I've ever seen) but he was a total TEAM player. He added that indefinable cohesiveness a team needs to make them play together as one and led by example in his work ethic.

I know I'll get burned for this, but the myth that he was a team player needs to be put to rest. I truly believe that THE STREAK took wins away from this team, because there were times that he cost them games so he could keep it alive. And when they were on the road late in his career, he would spend the nights at a different hotel from the rest of the team. And do you think any manager would have been kept as long as Cal Sr was, if he had NOT been Cal Sr? Please keep in mind that I am not disrespecting him, but I think that the "Saint Cal" contingent needs to calm down a bit.

sockgirl77

jazz lady said:
:yeahthat:

sockgirl77

donbarzini said:
I know I'll get burned for this, but the myth that he was a team player needs to be put to rest. I truly believe that THE STREAK took wins away from this team, because there were times that he cost them games so he could keep it alive. And when they were on the road late in his career, he would spend the nights at a different hotel from the rest of the team. And do you think any manager would have been kept as long as Cal Sr was, if he had NOT been Cal Sr? Please keep in mind that I am not disrespecting him, but I think that the "Saint Cal" contingent needs to calm down a bit.
:rolleyes:

Otter

Nothing to see here
donbarzini said:

Not gonna burn ya, but if you looked throughout Cal's career, he always had slumps and played thru them, just like any ballplayer. I have never subscribed to the day off theory mainly because its only baseball, there is not a huge amount of physical effort in playing like it is in other sports. How many games did he save with his glove during batting slumps??

As for staying in other hotels when he was close to the record, I would think he needed 'quiet' time cuz he wouldn't be able to avoid the media hoopla if he was staying with the team. He was not the type IMHO to say no when approached.

Cal Sr was only manager for a short time, he was the logical choice at the time and it didn't work out.

He always had my admiration, but I never put him in the 'saint' category.

donbarzini

Thanks for signing it, but you proved my point. The mindless devotion to a player, who make no mistake, was one of the top ten at his position, all time; is...........disconcerting at times. I realize that I'm up against a "home town" crowd here, and I am NOT trying to be a wet blanket. I'm just trying to lend a voice of reason to the discussion. So I really don't think the word "idiot" was justified.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
otter said:
Not gonna burn ya, but if you looked throughout Cal's career, he always had slumps and played thru them, just like any ballplayer. I have never subscribed to the day off theory mainly because its only baseball, there is not a huge amount of physical effort in playing like it is in other sports. How many games did he save with his glove during batting slumps??

As for staying in other hotels when he was close to the record, I would think he needed 'quiet' time cuz he wouldn't be able to avoid the media hoopla if he was staying with the team. He was not the type IMHO to say no when approached.

Cal Sr was only manager for a short time, he was the logical choice at the time and it didn't work out.

He always had my admiration, but I never put him in the 'saint' category.

:notworthy & :yeahthat: Exactly! He may not have been the greatest hitter and he had his hitting slumps as all ball players do, but his glove work was *almost* always amazing.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
donbarzini said:
Thanks for signing it, but you proved my point. The mindless devotion to a player, who make no mistake, was one of the top ten at his position, all time; is...........disconcerting at times. I realize that I'm up against a "home town" crowd here, and I am NOT trying to be a wet blanket. I'm just trying to lend a voice of reason to the discussion. So I really don't think the word "idiot" was justified.

I don't agree with you but I certainly didn't give you red for your opinion. Cal and his family have done so much for baseball in Maryland. Some may have mindless devotion to a player regardless of their actual playing abilities and/or personal life, but I have never found anything in Cal to NOT look up to and that's saying a lot.

Nupe2

jazz lady said:
I don't agree with you but I certainly didn't give you red for your opinion. Cal and his family have done so much for baseball in Maryland. Some may have mindless devotion to a player regardless of their actual playing abilities and/or personal life, but I have never found anything in Cal to NOT look up to and that's saying a lot.

:yeahthat: We were just talking about him in the office. He is almost universally admired and respected not for just being a ballplayer but someone who appears to go about his business and his life in the "right" way. For those of us who have suffered since Angelos (BOO!) took over, and miss "The Oriole Way" and "Orioles Magic," Cal represents the best of what was once a great organization. Some things are bigger than who attains the most victories and glory...hard work, dedication, loyalty...that's what Cal has come to stand for. That is why those of us who are fans salute him and are proud and happy to see him elected to the the Hall of Fame!

GO CAL!