PJay

Y A Y Yes GIF by Djemilah Birnie

My state is on the list!

• Haha
Reactions: BOP

22AcaciaAve

Y A Y Yes GIF by Djemilah Birnie

My state is on the list!

That isn't going to happen anymore than Texas was going to secede from the country. These are just stupid annoying childish things that state governments do simply to bring attention to things they don't like. Every state in the country realizes how much they benefit financially, and militarily from being part of the UNITED states. California, like Texas before them, could not withstand more than ten minutes of an attack from any other superpower willing to take them over. And the remaining US would take over any state wishing to do so and dissolve their state government before allowing them to secede and become their own entity that was vulnerable to an attack from Russia, China, NK, or even from a neighboring state. Stuff like this is just stupid.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
These are just stupid annoying childish things that state governments do simply to bring attention to things they don't like.

Arizona is all like, "YES!! Now ban your residents from coming here! :yahoo: "

It's hilarious that they bitch and cry about states having autonomy outside the federal government, and in the next breath they restrict travel to other states.

:lol:

SamSpade

These states on the list should stop shipping goods that they produce to California.
The downside of that is, all of us depend more on California than they do to us - except maybe all the states that provide it with fresh WATER.

I can't see how any of this affects change except to inconvenience Californians - who incidentally as others have observed - are leaving.

And my observation has been, these are usually short-lived, once the people who pass them realize, it doesn't change anything.

The left is pre-occupied with authoritarianism - they detest federalism. The concept of everything all under one roof appeals to them. Federalism can be chaotic, but among other things - for instance, local autonomy means that local problems are addressed more efficiently and with greater knowledge of the problem - it PROTECTS people from authoritarian rule. The left is FINE when everyone lives under THEIR preferred rules - but as we have seen, they have no tolerance or patience when it is someone ELSE'S rules, and WILL resort to violence.

phreddyp

The downside of that is, all of us depend more on California than they do to us - except maybe all the states that provide it with fresh WATER.

I can't see how any of this affects change except to inconvenience Californians - who incidentally as others have observed - are leaving.

And my observation has been, these are usually short-lived, once the people who pass them realize, it doesn't change anything.

The left is pre-occupied with authoritarianism - they detest federalism. The concept of everything all under one roof appeals to them. Federalism can be chaotic, but among other things - for instance, local autonomy means that local problems are addressed more efficiently and with greater knowledge of the problem - it PROTECTS people from authoritarian rule. The left is FINE when everyone lives under THEIR preferred rules - but as we have seen, they have no tolerance or patience when it is someone ELSE'S rules, and WILL resort to violence.
I agree without California the U.S would quickly run out of morons !

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
You all do realize that this ban is for "state funded travel" right? Not many regular folk are affected.

SamSpade

I agree without California the U.S would quickly run out of morons !
It's been lampooned as "the land of fruits and nuts" for much longer than I've been alive, although I first heard it used pejoratively in the seventies, back when Jerry Brown was FIRST governor.

My GUT feeling is, the "weird" that is so associated with California is Hollywood and the entire entertainment industry - movies, music, TV. Without it, it's just a typical state.

SamSpade

You all do realize that this ban is for "state funded travel" right? Not many regular folk are affected.
Which is why it will have only nominal impact - and that being the case - they'll lift it before long, because it's stupid to keep it for a long time.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Which is why it will have only nominal impact - and that being the case - they'll lift it before long, because it's stupid to keep it for a long time.
Well the bill authorizing this passed in 2016 and has been in effect since 2017. With it codified in to their law it seems to be going for the long haul.

phreddyp

It's been lampooned as "the land of fruits and nuts" for much longer than I've been alive, although I first heard it used pejoratively in the seventies, back when Jerry Brown was FIRST governor.

My GUT feeling is, the "weird" that is so associated with California is Hollywood and the entire entertainment industry - movies, music, TV. Without it, it's just a typical state.
You left out the politicians , I'm pretty sure that was just an oversight .

SamSpade

Well the bill authorizing this passed in 2016 and has been in effect since 2017. With it codified in to their law it seems to be going for the long haul.
I looked at it - yeah. But it also only restricts state funded travel, not banned outright. So I'm thinking it is still mostly window dressing.

Rommey

Just thinking about how much of a "tit-for-tat" response from the 22 states could be and how it might affect California's economy. What if, for example, the 22 states collectively decided to not do business with California or businesses based in California. Are there enough "exports" from California to the 22 states that would negatively impact them? Of course the logical response would be California doing the same to the businesses in the 22 states. So I don't know if that would be a zero-sum exercise in futility.