California, Maryland

frank67

My wife and I will be moveing to california Maryland from the desert southeast of southern california, to be with our son and his family who live in Leonardtown, I would like to know about the town of california, things to do, see, fishing,hunting....what the town is like,the folks that live there, we are both retired and do not want to make another long drive like this again in my 95 jeep wrangler...bounce..bounce. thanks, frank67

frank67

We will be moveing in April, about 6 more months, trying to get all our stuff organized and packed, our little dog a.c. will be traveling with us.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by frank67
My wife and I will be moveing to california Maryland from the desert southeast of southern california, to be with our son and his family who live in Leonardtown, I would like to know about the town of california, things to do, see, fishing,hunting....what the town is like,the folks that live there, we are both retired and do not want to make another long drive like this again in my 95 jeep wrangler...bounce..bounce. thanks, frank67
Frank67,

One thing you will have to get used to is the green. A lot of trees and some of the back roads are almost canopied with vegetation. I’ve had several friends from the southwest say it makes them claustrophobic.

California, Maryland isn’t a town. Only one of those in the county and that is Leonardtown.

Lots to do in the county. We are on a peninsula between the Patuxent River, Potomac River, and Chesapeake Bay. As you can imagine fishing and water activities are many. The whole county has a population of about 85,000 and we are by many standards rural. There is at least one large public hunting area that anyone can use and many parcels of private property that can be hunted with written permission. There might be other public tracts but I don't use them as I know a few of the farm owners around here.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
look

TWINS :biggrin: sorry, off topic, I know

Welcome Frank67! Sounds like it will be a bumpy but fun ride cross country! :cheers:

JabbaJawz

Be about it
We will be moveing in April, about 6 more months, trying to get all our stuff organized and packed, our little dog a.c. will be traveling with us.

Good luck and welcome, Frank, I hope the move goes well! :cheers:

Bertha Venation

:howdy: Hey, Frank. I'm a Southern CA native, from Huntington Beach. Ken was right; get ready for your eyes to be assaulted by GREEN. I've lived here for three years and I'm still not over it; each of my sisters has visited and they couldn't get over it. IMO it's fabulous, wonderful, beautiful. And omg, just wait 'til your first Autumn. C O L O R S !

If you like the water or the woods, you're going to love it here. And if you can tolerate severe weather, you'll do fine. (Give me an earthquake any day.)

Ponytail

hey Frank, welcome!!!

When you get here, and you decide to sell that POS Jeep, let me know!! I have one, and am shopping for another one.
:wink:

crazytown

Hey Frank:

I live in California, MD and love it. It's peaceful, and, yes, green . It's close to shopping (food/household) and many different restaurants.

I've never been to the state California, but I'm sure you'll like MD, Wildewood is a great retirement community in California, MD!

**This is my first time on this forum, so sorry if I've done something silly, or if you see awkard characters in my response**

Voter2002

"Fill your hands you SOB!
Welcome!!!

Some quick facts:

Go to the county government site for info on the county:
http://www.co.saint-marys.md.us/

Go to the SAILOR site for links to other St. Mary's County info:
http://www.sailor.lib.md.us/MD_topics/gov/cou_st.html

Of course, our own http://www.somd.com for some great info.

The main economic engine for this area is the Patuxent River Naval Air Station and it's tenent, Naval Air Warfare Center. It is the Navy's main test base for Naval Aviation and top aviation management commands.

Hunting: great deer hunting for several months (bow, blackpowder, shotgun) as well as other year-round hunting opportunities.

Fishing: St. Mary's County is on a peninsula surrounded by the (mainly) Potomac River, Patuxent River, and the Chesapeake Bay. Unlimited fishing opportunities whether it be by shore, pier, your boat, or charter boats.

Mostly rural atmosphere (nearest mall is about 35 miles up the road from California). You will see Amish riding their buggys in the mid/northern part of the county.

I used to live in San Diego and visited quite regularly to El Centro and the Anza-Borrego desert. This will be quite a switch for you!!!

frank67

Thanks to you all for the welcme and telling me about this part of Maryland, it sounds great...I see two of you know southern California and the desert area...hot..hot summers.our little dog is part Bishon and needs a grommer..........I will get my avatar changed...sorry Ken.......hunting and fishing sound like I can't wait to get there..........thanks again...frank67

Gunn317

That avatar is Yosemite Sam, not Ken. You can keep it. :)

There are plenty of woods around here, even with all the developers chewing them up, but you should have no trouble hunting. You can almost whitetail deer hunt with a bow 1/2 the year! And we could use your help, the deer are everywhere here. I'd rather see them in your freezer (and mine of course) feeding the family than dead on the road...

frank67

appyday and gunn317...thats ok about the avatar, I wanted to put my own custom pic. in anyway, took me awhile to see how to get it up here...a painting I did of myself back in 76........sounds like lots of white tail in the woods,,I use a 58 cal. muzzle loader, cap and ball if thats legal..........appyday my wife will be looking for a grommer for a.c. ..will try to contact you when we get there, my son still has no power in leonardtown........hope they get it back on for all of you soon.....frank67