California Radicals Say Math Is Racist, Set Out to Cancel It in Public Schools

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
The new curriculum will be based on a document titled “Dismantling Racism in Mathematics Instruction,” that the Wall Street Journal points out is chock full of little woke tidbits like that.

This manual claims that teachers addressing students’ mistakes forthrightly is a form of white supremacy. It sets forth indicators of “white supremacy culture in the mathematics classroom,” including a focus on “getting the right answer,” teaching math in a “linear fashion,” requiring students to “show their work” and grading them on demonstrated knowledge of the subject matter. “The concept of mathematics being purely objective is unequivocally false,” the manual explains. “Upholding the idea that there are always right and wrong answers perpetuates ‘objectivity.’ ” Apparently, that’s also racist.

There’s a real price to be paid and you can guess who will be paying it — minorities and poor kids.

The framework itself rejects preparing students to take Algebra I in eighth grade, a goal reformers have sought since the 1990s. Students in Singapore, South Korea and Taiwan master introductory algebra in eighth grade or even earlier.
At one time, California took the goal seriously and made immense progress. California Department of Education data show that while only 16% of students took algebra by eighth grade in 1999, by 2013, 67%—four times as many—were doing so. Success rates, meaning the percentage of students scoring “proficient” or above, kept rising even as enrollment increased dramatically.
The biggest beneficiaries were ethnic minority and low-income students. While student success tripled overall, African-American students’ success rate jumped by a factor of five, and Latinos’ and low-income students’ by a factor of six.

Hijinx

I am now and always was terrible with Math.
That problem has hindered me all of my life because so many jobs demand a good working knowledge of math.
Now I have had a good life, but I could have made a helluva lot more money with promotions that good math may have gotten me.

Kids need a good education in math if they want the better jobs. Math is used every day ----every day, even in the trades .
I wish I could say I was good at it, but I am not.
But to call math racist is only telling black kids to fail and that is in itself racist.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Can you imagine the Apollo missions landing on the moon if the scientist and engineers had that curriculum in school.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Math Professor Says Math Education Is Racist — and Sexist and Homophobic

Is math racist? Sexist? Homophobic? It seems yes — just ask a math professor.

Luis Leyva knows math. And he knows education; he’s an associate professor of mathematics education at Vanderbilt University’s Peabody College of Education and Human Development. Luis also evidently knows social justice, and he’s trying to add it to number-oriented instruction.

The teacher recently delivered a lecture with a tittilating title. In a photo online, Luis’s opening slide from Boston’s Joint Mathematics Meetings — the largest math conference in the world — read as follows:

“Undergraduate Mathematics Education as a White, Cisheteropatriarchal Space and Opportunities for Structural Disruption to Advance Queer of Color Justice”
Luis A. Leyva, Ph.D. (he/él)

At Meetings.AMS.org, Luis lays out his lecture’s summary of points:

For the first half of the lecture, I present findings from my research about the educational experiences of 39 undergraduate queer and trans* (QT) students of color pursuing STEM majors across historically white and minority-serving universities in the United States. Findings depict how Black, Latin*, and Asian QT students’ narratives of experience reflect forms of intersectionality, or instances of oppression and resistance at intersecting systems of white supremacy and cisheteropatriarchy (or white cisheteropatriarchy).

How might anyone fight the oppression by straight white men who don’t identify as a gender in contrast to their sex? Luis has ideas:

In addition, I highlight findings that illustrate structural disruptions, defined as educational structures and practices that resist intersectional oppression in undergraduate STEM.

He also pinpoints “coping strategies among QT students of color navigating white cisheteropatriarchy in STEM for protecting their academic success and intersectional identities.”

During the second half of the lecture, I apply my framework and research findings to argue how undergraduate mathematics education operates as a white, cisheteropatriarchal space that limits learning opportunities affirming of queer of color identities and experiences.

Problem, meet solution:

I conclude by re-imagining undergraduate mathematics education with structural disruptions that advance justice for learners marginalized across intersections of race, gender, and sexuality. This re-imagining accounts for ideological, institutional, and relational forms of disruption that interrogate dominant forms of knowledge production as well as expand access to learning opportunities and departmental support that affirm queer of color identities.

BOP

Math Professor Says Math Education Is Racist — and Sexist and Homophobic

Is math racist? Sexist? Homophobic? It seems yes — just ask a math professor.

Luis Leyva knows math. And he knows education; he’s an associate professor of mathematics education at Vanderbilt University’s Peabody College of Education and Human Development. Luis also evidently knows social justice, and he’s trying to add it to number-oriented instruction.

The teacher recently delivered a lecture with a tittilating title. In a photo online, Luis’s opening slide from Boston’s Joint Mathematics Meetings — the largest math conference in the world — read as follows:

At Meetings.AMS.org, Luis lays out his lecture’s summary of points:

How might anyone fight the oppression by straight white men who don’t identify as a gender in contrast to their sex? Luis has ideas:

He also pinpoints “coping strategies among QT students of color navigating white cisheteropatriarchy in STEM for protecting their academic success and intersectional identities.”

Problem, meet solution:
That's one way to try and gain tenure.

I hope they keep us up to date as to whether that works for him.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
No problem.

Identify them to all the businesses around their area and start shorting their change on purchases a few hundred times.

See if they start believing math isn't so racist after all.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Good! Now all those gotcha math things on social media can go away and the math nerds can go back to being just nerds.

• Love
Reactions: BOP

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Whoop, whoop, whoop!

Alright, pull it over, Clancy!

Grammar police. Here's your ticket:

Mrs. Williams and me. Not Mrs. Williams and I.
Will double check Strunk and White. :cool:

If you are a Blues guitar fan, one of her sons by her 1st marriage (was widowed) is the great Bluesman known as Taj Mahal.

Reactions: BOP

Clem72

There’s a real price to be paid and you can guess who will be paying it — minorities and poor kids.
Nope. The issue this is trying to address is not LEARNING but GRADING. These kids are already not learning the subject matter, but they don't want to be penalized for it.

So it's not them that will pay if implemented. It's whoever would eventually hire them thinking they might have a basic understanding of math and ending up with someone who will tell them it doesn't matter if they overspent the budget because math isn't objective. And they should know since they got an A in wokemath.

jrt_ms1995