California to legalize eating roadkill

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
California Gov. Gavin Newsom signed a bill last weekend, making it legal to cook and eat roadkill, according to several reports.

The “roadkill bill,” (Senate Bill 395) which goes into effect in 2022, will allow people to salvage and eat animals they unintentionally hit or find on the road in the state, KCAL-TV reported.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
OK, here's a story about eating too much roadkill ----

Had a cat show up at the house, we started feeding him and named him Charlie Hobo. My children were 10, 8, & 3 yrs old.

Charlie was missing, couldn't find him anywhere.

Dad took the boys Christmas shopping. As he was turning into our driveway, there was Charlie in the ditch, probably hit by a car.

So, dad grabbed a shovel from the back of the pickup, scooped Charlie up, and laid him in the bed of the truck.

3 yr old, sniveling, asked Daddy what he was going to do with Charlie, dad answered they'd take him home and bury him.

3 yr old burst out in tears.

"Daddy, you can't bury Charlie Hobo! There's a lot of good meat on him!"

sigh

rmorse

California Gov. Gavin Newsom signed a bill last weekend, making it legal to cook and eat roadkill, according to several reports.

The “roadkill bill,” (Senate Bill 395) which goes into effect in 2022, will allow people to salvage and eat animals they unintentionally hit or find on the road in the state, KCAL-TV reported.

Why was that even illegal in the first place....

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
A couple of things:

Why wouldn't it take effect until 2022?

And...think about that...Californians are now apparently eating road kill or there would be no laws governing it and it wouldn't need to be legalized.

Californians: "Our economy is in the shitter and we can't afford groceries. Do something!"
Gov. Newsome: "Here, eat some roadkill."

And progs look at this dystopian hell hole as a model for the rest of the country....

This_person

Here's what I don't get about this.... How is this:
?

rmorse

One would think it's because the dead animal could have any number of diseases that could sicken or kill the consumer....but this is California we're talking about, soooooo:

I understand why I would not consume the roadkill. It's a similar reason why I wouldn't have a diet comprised solely of monster energy drinks and mac and cheese, or smoke cigarettes, or sit down and see how many sticks of butter I can eat in one sitting.

Just because it's a stupid idea and harmful doesn't mean I think it should be illegal. It's like making it illegal to pick your nose and eat it. I wouldn't do it but I don't think it should be illegal.

Hijinx

A roadkilled animal has no more chance of having a disease than any other animal that is killed by hunting.

One of the things in this article that made me smile was when it was suggested that some people would go out in their $50,000 dollar 4 wheel drive pick up truck to hunt down these animals that way.

Reactions: BOP

Hijinx

I understand why I would not consume the roadkill. It's a similar reason why I wouldn't have a diet comprised solely of monster energy drinks and mac and cheese, or smoke cigarettes, or sit down and see how many sticks of butter I can eat in one sitting.

Just because it's a stupid idea and harmful doesn't mean I think it should be illegal. It's like making it illegal to pick your nose and eat it. I wouldn't do it but I don't think it should be illegal.

To be honest many other states have this law. So making fun of Newsom here is mainly in jest.

officeguy

Often enough if you hit a deer, most of the meat is still ok. I wouldn't want to eat it, but I can't fault anyone who does.

Clem72

"Daddy, you can't bury Charlie Hobo! There's a lot of good meat on him!"

Wow, I had a similar experience as a young child. Visiting grandmother and one of her yappy dogs passed away. I told her not to be sad, we could eat it for dinner.

As to the topic of the post, I assume this has mainly to do with homeless eating roadkill and the state not wanting to waste resources prosecuting them for it.

Chris0nllyn

I think people shouldn't think "roadkill" equates to something that's been dead for 3 days in August heat with buzzards eating the ass out of it. IF someone hits a deer and wants it, they currently can not take it in CA because, as stated in the article, "Eating roadkill is currently illegal under state law and 'unlawful possession of wildlife' could carry a $6,000 [this is incorrect, it's actually $1,000, but it's Fox News] fine and six months in jail".

The law is dumb and instead of modifying the "unlawful possession of wildlife" law, or hunting laws, they create a new one that says "hey, you want roadkill, cool, but you need to call and give us your info so the state can give you a permit to take it".

IMO, this law won't be used much. The majority of the nation's meat eaters seem to not realize that meat doesn't come packaged like you see in grocery stores and chastise anyone who dare harvest meat any other way.