Call to 911 from Teen Saying He Shot His Mother and Would Shoot Police Ends up Being a “Swatting”

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
On August 17, 2019, at approximately 5:28 a.m. deputies from the St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office responded to the reported shooting/barricade in the 21300 block of Carmen Woods Drive in Lexington Park.

A caller to 911 reported that he had shot his mother and would shoot any law enforcement officers who came to the residence on Carmen Woods Drive. The individual advised his mother was was bleeding and he was barricading himself in an upstairs bedroom.

Officers arrived on scene and established a perimeter. Contact by phone was established with persons in the residence, and all of the individuals in the residence eventually came out voluntarily.

It was determined no crime had been committed, nor was anyone in the home injured.

Further investigation determined this was a “swatting” incident and no one from the residence had called in the false report.

What is Swatting?

Swatting is a criminal harassment tactic of deceiving an emergency service into sending a police and emergency service response to another person’s address. This is triggered by false reporting of a serious law enforcement emergency, such as a bomb threat, murder, hostage situation, or other alleged incident. – WIKI

The action or practice of making a prank call to emergency services in an attempt to bring about the dispatch of a large number of armed police officers to a particular address. – Dictionary

Idiots. :loser: Glad it turned out okay and no innocent people were hurt.

glhs837

Power with Control

Idiots. :loser: Glad it turned out okay and no innocent people were hurt.

Someone should get hurt. the azzhat who called it in. They should pay for every dime spent on the response, and they should pay a reasonable amount of pain and suffering money to the family they swatted. I'm thinking $2,000 to maybe $5,000.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Someone should get hurt. the azzhat who called it in. They should pay for every dime spent on the response, and they should pay a reasonable amount of pain and suffering money to the family they swatted. I'm thinking $2,000 to maybe $5,000.

Totally agree with that. :yay:

Swatting has been going for yours now and law enforcement is well aware of the situation. I certainly hope that all departments have implement policies to investigate before shooting so that no innocent victims are killed or injured --- as many have been in the past.

I remember a post on here from awhile back where that happened. I can only imagine the distress caused this poor family and their total bewilderment. Heck, my doorbell rang yesterday unexpectedly and I found a cop on the other side of the door. Fortunately, he had the wrong address but I know my heart rate went up!

glhs837

Power with Control
I think they're looking at prison time, as they should be. Many innocent people have been killed or injured in the past because of this. Often times, the perp is some crazed online video gamer seeking retaliation against some other gamer for some perceived slight (who was saying that video games don't warp some young minds?)

I'm sure that one of the first questions asked by police was, Is your son involved in online gaming?

The above is just results 2-6 for the search: people killed due to swatting

Right, and in the case where death or injury results, I"m more than fine with jail time. But I'm not sure I'm seeing it where nobody was hurt.

Right, and in the case where death or injury results, I"m more than fine with jail time. But I'm not sure I'm seeing it where nobody was hurt.
If they get away with no punishment this time, there could be a next time that does end badly. Stupid should hurt a lot.

glhs837

Power with Control
If they get away with no punishment this time, there could be a next time that does end badly. Stupid should hurt a lot.

I didnt say no punishment. Paying thousands of dollars is a punishment. Depending on income level, or course.

MiddleGround

I didnt say no punishment. Paying thousands of dollars is a punishment. Depending on income level, or course.

So, the poor get a break when they act stupidly? I say it should hurt across the board. Just like citations, fines, etc.

glhs837

Power with Control
So, the poor get a break when they act stupidly? I say it should hurt across the board. Just like citations, fines, etc.
I didnt say the punishment would vary on income level, but that how much punishment paying thousands of dollars is depends on income level. Kids on a 5K a month stipend from the trust fund, 20K might not be hurt too much. Kids making $10 an hour at Wendys, he'll be paying that for ten years.

glhs837

Power with Control
Ummmm. Yeah you did. Right down here....

The penalty shouldnt be different, but how punishing that penalty is to the criminal varies depending on your income level. Is that better? It's the perceived punishment that varies, not the levied penalty.

The penalty shouldnt be different, but how punishing that penalty is to the criminal varies depending on your income level. Is that better? It's the perceived punishment that varies, not the levied penalty.
Can't say I agree with that. You could wind up having totally separate court sessions just on determining the 'wealth' of a person. Is it their personal assets only? If a minor, is the wealth of the parents taken into account even tho they didn't commit the crime? And on and on.

Then mandatory community service where the service is hard/dirty labor such as collecting/doing dirty laundry at veterans homes.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member

And then get a proper 120 lash caning!

FIFY.

glhs837

Power with Control
I never suggested changing the fine based on income. I was saying that the same fine (penalty) will punish different income levels differently. Punishment is a perception of hurt done by a penalty. Fining an NBA player who makes $5 million a year 50K will not feel very punishing. Maybe he cancels one of his three trips to Cancun. Fining a single mom making $35K a year 50K will feel like you have ruined her life.

I am NOT suggesting that we fine the NBA player differently, simply pointing out that some people can pay for the police response and the families suffering and not really miss that money, forothers paying that off would sevelely impact thier lives.