Calling all cooks! I need help!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I want to make a white chicken and spinach lasagna for supper BUT I don't have any whole milk for the bechamel. I have buttermilk and unsweetened almond milk. Can I make a white sauce with either of those? I feel like it should thicken just fine but there may be some chemistry thing I don't know about that will just make a mess.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
I personally would choose buttermilk over almond, as to me the almond milk leaves a nutty flavor and takes a LONG time to thicken up. If you go with buttermilk, keep taste testing and I'd probably salt it a little extra in the beginning.

you could also make it if you had 2% or heavy cream too. If you end up using almond milk, maybe add a tiny bit of cornstarch mixed with water to help it thicken.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I personally would choose buttermilk over almond, as to me the almond milk leaves a nutty flavor and takes a LONG time to thicken up. If you go with buttermilk, keep taste testing and I'd probably salt it a little extra in the beginning.

you could also make it if you had 2% or heavy cream too. If you end up using almond milk, maybe add a tiny bit of cornstarch mixed with water to help it thicken.

Thanks! I'll go with the buttermilk. I think it will add a nice flavor as well. We'll see....

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Thanks! I'll go with the buttermilk. I think it will add a nice flavor as well. We'll see....
that was my first thought!

I did mashed potatoes yesterday and only had buttermilk (used for another recipe and had to buy a QUART of it!) it was quite good in those! It thickens better, I think, because of the fat in it. :yum:

lucky_bee

RBF expert
I personally never purchase buttermilk unless I know I need more than a cup of it because I always do the old trick of measuring out the milk and adding a tablespoon or so of lemon juice and letting it sit for a minute or two. I almost always have milk and lemon juice on hand.

also, yes...sour cream in my mashed potatoes or in scrambled eggs...adds a whole other level of richness :yum: :yum: :yum:

Homer J

Power Chord
I personally never purchase buttermilk unless I know I need more than a cup of it because I always do the old trick of measuring out the milk and adding a tablespoon or so of lemon juice and letting it sit for a minute or two. I almost always have milk and lemon juice on hand.

also, yes...sour cream in my mashed potatoes or in scrambled eggs...adds a whole other level of richness :yum: :yum: :yum:
My wife made mashed potatoes recently and added about half a tub of spreadable cream cheese with chives. It was amazing! They were so smooth and creamy. And the chives added a nice flavor.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
My wife made mashed potatoes recently and added about half a tub of spreadable cream cheese with chives. It was amazing! They were so smooth and creamy. And the chives added a nice flavor.
mashed potatoes are so lovely and versatile. I've added in rosemary and gorgonzola, caramelized onions, parsnips/turnips, every fresh herb, shallots, etc. etc. The cream cheese with chives does sound amazing, and honestly perfect - I'll have to try that one out!

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Southern living mag says that you can freeze leftover buttermilk for up to 3 months