Calvert Cliffs homes threatened by erosion

slowlane

Homes in CRE overlooking Calvert Cliffs are badly threatened by encroaching erosion of the cliffs --- but authorities want to let the erosion continue, in order to save the habitat of a rare beetle, says this article today:

washingtonpost.com

raven

I SAID IT YES I DID !
Homes in CRE overlooking Calvert Cliffs are badly threatened by encroaching erosion of the cliffs --- but authorities want to let the erosion continue, in order to save the habitat of a rare beetle, says this article today:

washingtonpost.com - nation, world, technology and Washington area news and headlines

It's not the beetle. It's a lot cheaper for the taxpayers to let the homes fall into the bay or river then it is for a shoreline erosion project. My best advise is for those who live on the edge is to pack up and move off the edge. :buddies:

frogman123

It's not the beetle. It's a lot cheaper for the taxpayers to let the homes fall into the bay or river then it is for a shoreline erosion project. My best advise is for those who live on the edge is to pack up and move off the edge. :buddies:

Sounds like a great idea! Wait, move you say? Who will but these homes? They are.... unsellable. Oh, no you mean let them fall and collect insurance- right? Except these homes have reached the point where insurance companies are going to pull out- declare the property uninsurable. These people are screwed.

raven

I SAID IT YES I DID !
Sounds like a great idea! Wait, move you say? Who will but these homes? They are.... unsellable. Oh, no you mean let them fall and collect insurance- right? Except these homes have reached the point where insurance companies are going to pull out- declare the property uninsurable. These people are screwed.

I guess the only ones who made money were the people who they bought the homes from. I don't see the Fed or state droping 300 million dollars on this project.

frogman123

I guess the only ones who made money were the people who they bought the homes from. I don't see the Fed or state droping 300 million dollars on this project.

me either- I'm just saying that it's not that they are just saying that they refuse to move. They are screwed, and it sucks.

Cowgirl

I understand the beetle is endangered, but what purpose do they serve? I'd be interested to find out how they benefit the earth.

On the other hand, I have a hard time finding sympathy for people who build their homes on (or near) cliffs anyways. Anyone who buys waterfront should understand that with waterfront property comes erosion.

I understand the beetle is endangered, but what purpose do they serve? I'd be interested to find out how they benefit the earth.

All things dull and ugly,
All creatures short and squat,
All things rude and nasty,
The Lord God made the lot.
Each little snake that poisons,
Each little wasp that stings,
He made their brutish venom.
He made their horrid wings.

All things sick and cancerous,
All evil great and small,
All things foul and dangerous,
The Lord God made them all.

Each nasty little hornet,
Each beastly little squid--
Who made the spikey urchin?
Who made the sharks? He did!

All things scabbed and ulcerous,
All pox both great and small,
Putrid, foul and gangrenous,
The Lord God made them all.

Amen.

raven

I SAID IT YES I DID !

On the other hand, I have a hard time finding sympathy for people who build their homes on (or near) cliffs anyways. Anyone who buys waterfront should understand that with waterfront property comes erosion.

It's not only in Calvert County St. Mary's is getting it's fair share of shoreline issues. And the citizens has been fighting the government for years without success. If Calvert gets the funding St. Mary's should too not just one county.

This_person

Consequences for buying the home - sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

When I read the book Chesapeake even the Indian at the start of the book took one look at those cliffs and knew they were "wrong".

thatguy

the other side fo this issue is that any repairs that are made will undoubtedly destory the current beach which is used/owned by the whole community. the people whose houses are falling into the bay do not own the shoreline and therefore any decisions should take into consderation the good of the entire community. These folsk are talking about making changes that will make the beach unusable.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
the other side fo this issue is that any repairs that are made will undoubtedly destory the current beach which is used/owned by the whole community. the people whose houses are falling into the bay do not own the shoreline and therefore any decisions should take into consderation the good of the entire community. These folsk are talking about making changes that will make the beach unusable.

Are those beach areas safe for use now?

glhs837

Power with Control

What do you base that statement on? Has the Corps of Engineers studied this and said so?

ylexot

Super Genius
Oh, no you mean let them fall and collect insurance- right? Except these homes have reached the point where insurance companies are going to pull out- declare the property uninsurable. These people are screwed.
The federal government will insure them. They insure all kinds of homes built in risky areas like beaches that get hit with hurricanes often. :shrug:

dan0623_2000

Where the hell do you live? Those area of the cliffs have been off limits for the past 10 or more years. Do people still go under the cliffs? Only the stupid ones.
Owners of shoreline property own the land up to the mean high tide mark. So if there is a beach during high tide then they own it and you stay off it unless you have permission.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Owners of shoreline property own the land up to the mean high tide mark. So if there is a beach during high tide then they own it and you stay off it unless you have permission.

I found this out the hard way many years ago.No charges were filed

Besides, when I'm walking on a beach the last thing I want to worry about is the possibility of several cubic yards of CalCo clay falling on my head as I pick up a shark's tooth.

Last edited:

thatguy

Where the hell do you live? Those area of the cliffs have been off limits for the past 10 or more years. Do people still go under the cliffs? Only the stupid ones.

thats funny because the dog park at driftwood beach is open to the cliff area and you can walk the shoreline all the way to seahorse beach if you want. there is realitively little danger if you dont go climbin gon the cliffs.
And the ranch club owns the beach. it is part of our common property.