Calvert Co bus driver sick-out

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

About two dozen bus drivers walked off the job Monday in Calvert County to demand better pay, hours, and benefits. The move left some parents scrambling to get their children to and from school.

Calvert County Public Schools tells 7News 22 buses did not run at all, with other routes affected by bus drivers who provided reasons for their absence. The central part of the county was the most affected.

It points out in the story that bus drivers aren't CCPS employees, they work for the company that contracts to the school for bus service.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB

About two dozen bus drivers walked off the job Monday in Calvert County to demand better pay, hours, and benefits. The move left some parents scrambling to get their children to and from school.

Calvert County Public Schools tells 7News 22 buses did not run at all, with other routes affected by bus drivers who provided reasons for their absence. The central part of the county was the most affected.

It points out in the story that bus drivers aren't CCPS employees, they work for the company that contracts to the school for bus service.

You know what I bolded is too nuanced for a lot of people to understand.

black dog

Free America
Gotta love folks that accept the offer and pay for employment... Up to 24 bucks an hour for a PT gig..
When my son was in school and the 3 years I rode the bus it was a PT job.

About half of the bus drivers here own there own bus and contract with the city. The contract buses also get the extra gigs for field trips and other off site school activities...The Mayor said it was cheaper for them to do the runs.
I just had lunch and our Mayor was there...taco tues is popular...

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

black dog

Free America
What is the reason for aides on the buses? I understand maybe on handicapped buses.
We never had an aide on buses, Metro buses move loads of school kids with no aides..
Wanna save money, toss the aides off the buses..

Last edited:

Bann

PREMO Member
What is the reason for aides on the buses? I understand maybe on handicapped buses.
We never had an aide on buses, Metro buses move loads of school kids with no aides..
Wanna save money, toss the aides off the buses..
Aides do indeed ride on the SpEd buses. :yay: I don't think they are on the regular buses.

Bann

PREMO Member
Better hours? Bus driver hours are tied to school hours. How do they figure to accomplish this?
They are having to do MORE routes with less drivers. (doubling up routes...takes longer, etc) Some kids over here are not getting dropped off until 5-6pm.

black dog

Free America
They are having to do MORE routes with less drivers. (doubling up routes...takes longer, etc) Some kids over here are not getting dropped off until 5-6pm.

Well one of things they want is more than 5 1/2 hours a day. Why are they crying about working more hours if they want more hours.

Maybe they want to drive around empty buses during the day when the kids are in class...

One doesn't have much bargaining power as an employee. Maybe they should Unionize with the Teamsters across the country and with that, one gets bargining power...

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Most don't know this, but the majority of these, (in Calvert anyway), contracted bus companies are minority owned. I'm thinking the owners are just being greedy, or racist? Maybe these bus owners should unionize, or collude together, and demand a greater share of the education dollar pie and shut down the delivery system for a week or longer, and have sit outs and temper tantrums like the teachers always do so they can get more money; to pay their drivers more, and of course themselves, and for the higher maintenance costs, of course, due to inflation, or rather the loss of purchasing power of the dollar.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
If I may ...

Most don't know this, but the majority of these, (in Calvert anyway), contracted bus companies are minority owned. I'm thinking the owners are just being greedy, or racist? Maybe these bus owners should unionize, or collude together, and demand a greater share of the education dollar pie and shut down the delivery system for a week or longer, and have sit outs and temper tantrums like the teachers always do so they can get more money; to pay their drivers more, and of course themselves, and for the higher maintenance costs, of course, due to inflation, or rather the loss of purchasing power of the dollar.
Just out of curiosity when was the last time there was a teacher strike in Calvert County? Or Maryland for that matter?

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Just out of curiosity when was the last time there was a teacher strike in Calvert County? Or Maryland for that matter?
Well gee wiz, I don't know. I do remember many times, right here in Calvert, where grown men and women, posing as teachers, were wearing diapers, sucking their thumbs and crying on the side of the roads sitting next to signs demanding more money, and as well having sit ins, over crowding the meeting spaces, at public budget meetings demanding more money wearing all same the colorful baby shirts.

By the way, where did I mention "strike"?

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
If I may ...

Well gee wiz, I don't know. I do remember many times, right here in Calvert, where grown men and women, posing as teachers, were wearing diapers, sucking their thumbs and crying on the side of the roads sitting next to signs demanding more money, and as well having sit ins, over crowding the meeting spaces, at public budget meetings demanding more money wearing all same the colorful baby shirts.

By the way, where did I mention "strike"?
So talking out of your ass. Again. Baby shirts? Diapers? Posing?

No, you didn't say "strike". You said "shut down the delivery system for a week or more". You know, what normal people would call a "strike".

Last edited:

Bann

PREMO Member
Well one of things they want is more than 5 1/2 hours a day. Why are they crying about working more hours if they want more hours.

Maybe they want to drive around empty buses during the day when the kids are in class...

One doesn't have much bargaining power as an employee. Maybe they should Unionize with the Teamsters across the country and with that, one gets bargining power...
I'm not a bus driver - I don't have the ins and outs to all the questions - just passing on the information that I have read online on the various Facebook posts that are out there.

There's at least one FB page that is discussing it if anyone is interested in following it.

Bann

PREMO Member
I'd fire them all. Plenty of people looking for work and happy to have the income, or so I'm told.
No, there really aren't a lot of people who are looking for jobs. Some of them are still collecting unemployment. The job market is starting to open up but not as much as you'd think.

Last edited: