Calvert or St Marys County-Where should I move?

JasKau

My wife and I are moving from Florida after 1 1/2 year stint and we are originally from Southern New Jersey. We have three children which range in age from 6 1/2 to 20 months. I will be working in DC and we are interested in community, schools, township sports programs, and basically quality of life. Can someone help? Any feedback is welcome, especially if it is helps us choose.
Thank you

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
My wife and I are moving from Florida after 1 1/2 year stint and we are originally from Southern New Jersey. We have three children which range in age from 6 1/2 to 20 months. I will be working in DC and we are interested in community, schools, township sports programs, and basically quality of life. Can someone help? Any feedback is welcome, especially if it is helps us choose.
Thank you

Both areas are nice but the commute from Calvert to DC is easier than from St. Mary's to DC. I think people are equally happy in both counties...schools, sports programs and quality of life.

G1G4

Find em Hot, Leave em Wet
I think it really depends on how long you plan on staying. Both are good for mid-term, but I think Calvert is probably better long term. I only say that because the high schools seem to be better. St. Mary's are progressing, but I think alot of work still needs to be done. I'm assuming your in the military, so the commute to Pax River is alot shorter in the morning and evenings in St. Mary's. If you can get a house south of Gate 2, your commute both ways will be pretty event free. If your going to move to Calvert and travel to Pax River, the bridge at both times is terribly backed up.
Good luck. Both counties have their advantages and disadvantages, and I'd say they're both marginally even.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Thank you

I think it really depends on how long you plan on staying. Both are good for mid-term, but I think Calvert is probably better long term. I only say that because the high schools seem to be better. St. Mary's are progressing, but I think alot of work still needs to be done. I'm assuming your in the military, so the commute to Pax River is alot shorter in the morning and evenings in St. Mary's. If you can get a house south of Gate 2, your commute both ways will be pretty event free. If your going to move to Calvert and travel to Pax River, the bridge at both times is terribly backed up.
Good luck. Both counties have their advantages and disadvantages, and I'd say they're both marginally even.

steeler_chick

Thank you

Northern calvert - like Dunkirk or Huntingtown? I have known people who live there and it was nice... much closer to DC than anywhere in St. Mary's but not city-like either... schools up there were really good ten years ago, but I havent had any interface with them lately....

jsouthan

Northern calvert - like Dunkirk or Huntingtown? I have known people who live there and it was nice... much closer to DC than anywhere in St. Mary's but not city-like either... schools up there were really good ten years ago, but I havent had any interface with them lately....

They are still really nice. The schools in the northern part of Calvert Co. consistently rank as tops in MD, especially Mt. Harmony, Sunderland and Plum Point Elementary Schools. Both high schools in the northern end (Huntingtown and Northern) are good, as well. The down-side is that, due to its more reasonable distance to DC, the price of housing is higher than that of the southern half of Calvert and St. Mary's. However, the housing slump is helping to make it more affordable.

C

citizen_fear

Thank you

My suggestion would be move to Calvert

C

CalvertNewbie

They are still really nice. The schools in the northern part of Calvert Co. consistently rank as tops in MD, especially Mt. Harmony, Sunderland and Plum Point Elementary Schools. Both high schools in the northern end (Huntingtown and Northern) are good, as well. The down-side is that, due to its more reasonable distance to DC, the price of housing is higher than that of the southern half of Calvert and St. Mary's. However, the housing slump is helping to make it more affordable.

:yeahthat: We moved to Calvert almost 2 years ago from NY. We absolutely love it here. One of the reasons we chose to live here is because the schools were rated really well and we planned to start a family. We're happy we moved here, although St. Mary's has some great areas as well. Hubby's commute is better from Calvert (he works close to DC, in PG county).

As for the housing prices, I wish we waited until now to buy but I'm sure we wouldn't have gotten this house had we waited. :bawl: JasKau, if you need a realtor call Pattee McInerney (ReMax) @ 301-812-2500. She went above & beyond for us. We spent all weekend looking at houses because that's all the time we had in MD (we still lived in NY when we started house hunting). She still keeps in touch with us and even stopped by just to see the baby. She's a sweetheart.

JasKau

why? demographics, schools, crime rate? I know houses are much cheaper in St Marys and I cant figure out why other than commute to DC. Any info would be appreciated

C

citizen_fear

why? demographics, schools, crime rate? I know houses are much cheaper in St Marys and I cant figure out why other than commute to DC. Any info would be appreciated

We already have enough people in St. Marys.....PS. Houses are not any cheaper in St. Marys. if you will be working in DC you would want to stay north.

C

CalvertNewbie

Where in St. Mary's are you looking? That could be your answer. There are certain areas (like in every county) that people will advise you to stay away from, due to higher crime. I'm sure those who are more familiar with those areas will chime in. In Calvert, there are no ghettos. Sure, there are "pockets" of higher crime but probably nothing like you've seen being from Jersey.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Thank you

as far north in Calvert as you can get to cut down on your commute.
Not only does it put you closer to DC but closer to Annapolis and to South Jersey.

There are no "townships" here. Everything is run at the county level.
Don't live in Calvert but do know that there are a fair number of sports teams tha tplay out of the park in Dunkirk.

smilin

BOXER NATION
Take a look at Northern Calvert. Quick shot to DC, centrally located above the great Prince Frederick backup (which they are trying mightily to fix with a bypass).
St.Marys is a great place to live also, but would be a pain to commute to DC, although a lot of people do. Taxes, home prices are similar. Crime? Depends on the area.
It's like living in park down here. A heavily taxed one.
Welcome to The Land Of Pleasant Living!

MrZ06

I love Texas Road House
I have lived in Calvert for about 10 years. My bigest complaint is that the police give out way to many speeding tickets. Other than that its a nice place to live.