Calvert or St Marys County-Where should I move?

backagain39

If your from Southern Jersey then you will love this place.....not much different.
Been there done that...............

BernieP

Resident PIA
why? demographics, schools, crime rate? I know houses are much cheaper in St Marys and I cant figure out why other than commute to DC. Any info would be appreciated

While the schools are run by the county, not all are the same - Calvert and St. Mary's. You'll have to check out the specific schools your children will be attending. County wide Calvert did better in some area then St. Mary's. But it all depends on what statisitics you look at and who developed them. A recent story in the Washington Post showed the St. Mary's has one of the lowest graduation rates in the region. But you don't know how they arrived at the number.

Since it sounds like you are military, north Calvert or even southern Ann Arundle counties might be a better fit. Your commute will be shorter AND the I understand the Exchange at Andrews is much better then the one down at Pax.

Ray

Look at Waldorf in Charles County. It is a great place to live. Low crime, no traffic to speak of, and everyone is very polite.

G1G4

Find em Hot, Leave em Wet
Look at Waldorf in Charles County. It is a great place to live. Low crime, no traffic to speak of, and everyone is very polite.

:killingme

What part of Waldorf? West Waldorf, yeah, I can agree with that. Everything else is....

refugee44

Are you trying to get these nice folks killed? Wait, Waldorf is still better than Newark!! :)

Most people have already given you a great answer--Northern Calvert County. It's beautiful, easy commute to DC, good schools, nice people (mostly). Don't move to southern Anne Arundel Co, although same basic discriptors apply, taxes much higher in AA Co as compared to northern Calvert.

MJ

Material Girl
PREMO Member
I'll be sleeping in Newark tonight. :diva:

Calvert is all full up, sorry looks like you'll have to move to St. Mary's :huggy:

PsyOps

Pixelated
I have lived in Calvert for about 10 years. My bigest complaint is that the police give out way to many speeding tickets. Other than that its a nice place to live.

I guess slowing down is out of the question. :mad:

I have lived in Calvert for about 10 years. My bigest complaint is that the police give out way to many speeding tickets. Other than that its a nice place to live.

Well there you go. Mr z06 lives in Calvert, so the place is overflowing with homos.

mqwdiver

My wife and I are moving from Florida after 1 1/2 year stint and we are originally from Southern New Jersey. We have three children which range in age from 6 1/2 to 20 months. I will be working in DC and we are interested in community, schools, township sports programs, and basically quality of life. Can someone help? Any feedback is welcome, especially if it is helps us choose.
Thank you

I have lived in Calvert (Dunkirk) for 13 years. I work in Washington, D.C., and take a commuter bus to McPherson Square. I park behind Safeway and take the bus. There are no stops until we get into washington. Works out very nicely. My children have gone through Mt. Harmony, and Northen Middle and Northen High School. Oldest is in Georgetown. St. Mary's is nice, but the commute would really put a damper on you ability to participate in family events. I know, because my husband commued to Rockville.
My husband just got a transfer, so if you are interested in a house for sale with in ground pool, let me know!

lisa8439

We live in St. Mary's (and will be staying here permanently in the Hollywood area when hubby gets out of the military since he will be working at PAX) and I'd honestly agree with the people who say northern Calvert is your best bet. If you are working in DC, the commute from southern Calvert or southern/mid St. Mary's is hit or miss. Some days are ok, some days are downright horrendous - as in, you'll get home after your kids are in bed. Since you have small kids I am assuming you want to be in a position to make it to at least a few sports games/school activities/etc - or even be home for dinner and their bedtime most nights? LOL

The only place in St. Mary's that I would even suggest for a halfway decent commute to DC every day is Charlotte Hall. That isn't a bad area, but I think the 'overflow' from PG county that has made its way into Waldorf probably won't take long to make its way there. I don't know, but personally even though we liked the Mechanicsville area we chose to buy a little farther south.

We looked at Calvert for schools but hubby didn't want to commute across the TJ bridge everyday, and seeing as how houses were a tad bit more over there (at least when we bought) and the schools were comparable in the area we were looking at in Calvert to the Hwood area, we just decided it made more sense to buy in St. Mary's. You'll see tons of 5 bedroom houses for sale in Lexington Park (St. Marys, down by the base) for much cheaper than you'll get a 3 bedroom in Huntingtown I'm sure - but there is a REASON for that!! :killingme We know tons of off base military families who bought in the immediate area of the base and now can't sell their house for what they paid for it. Upside-down BIG time. Not to mention that roughly half of them have either had their house broken into or had shootings a few houses down. No thanks, not for me. For some people that's probably a bargain to get a house that big for so little. We lucked out in the market and got, IMO, a nicer house farther out into the country - but I could understand how the bigger houses for cheap are a draw.

I don't think you will regret buying in northern Calvert. Anywhere else is probably a toss-up, especially with the commute you'll have.

Last edited:

idiganthro

We moved to St. Mary's a year ago. Our youngest goes to Leonardtown HS and loves it. We moved into a very rural area, after living in cities for years, and wish we had moved her a decade ago. I work in Calvert County- the commute to DC is probably better from there. I hear the high schools are good there, don't know about lower grades. I don't think either county is a bad choice, just one may be more practical for you.

foodcritic

My wife and I are moving from Florida after 1 1/2 year stint and we are originally from Southern New Jersey. We have three children which range in age from 6 1/2 to 20 months. I will be working in DC and we are interested in community, schools, township sports programs, and basically quality of life. Can someone help? Any feedback is welcome, especially if it is helps us choose.
Thank you

I worked in DC and made the commute to DC from St. Mary's. I think St. Mary is cheaper. I believe there is more crime in St. Mary's but isolated (for the most part) to Lexington Park.

So staying north in the county is better. If you go south in the county ur kids will go to Great Mills uh.... Skool.

I used to live in PG county so St. Mary's is great. It's rural with Mennonites and urban in some areas. Shopping is pretty good as more things go in in the California area.

I also came from NJ. So no matter what. Kiss the idea of decent food away. If you want a bagel or diner food go back to NJ. :coffee:

Last edited: