Calvert's Growth problem

Hessian

Morning 7/29
*BOTH N & S lanes of Route 4 are blocked up in Lothian above the 260 (accident reconstruction)
*ONE lane is getting by on the Benedict bridge (Maintenance) ...Back up all the way PAST the Hallowing point Industrial park light (1+ mile)
Construction surges on more townhouses in PF while the lane expansion in PF bottles up local traffic.

They are weighing a Waldorfian Expansion between Lusby Town center and Northern Solomons...turning over thousands of acres into business & development zoning (Long before they even have a proposal for a new Solomon's Bridge {which is 42 years old btw)}

The pledges that 2020 would be the build out year...no more permits issued,...no more McMansions being thrown up...were made back in the mid 1990's-I CLEARLY remember that PUBLISHED pledge, and...hear we are. Roads utterly clogged and more building under way with more being proposed. Is this for the 'benefit' of the public? NEVER. This mess is making our lives miserable. I know of elderly citizens who are afraid to drive to go shopping or to the doctor's office because of aggressive/clogged traffic. Very sad Calvert. You promised to keep things under control...to have "Smart growth"...instead, you look like idiots, not caring about this county or its long-term citizens. Who is making the $$$$? Because that is what it's all about.

We have NO way to evacuate this county if something horrible happened at Calvert Cliffs...or even if a Cat 3 Hurricane was threatening...we couldn't get out if just two accidents occurred on our main arterials.

luvmygdaughters

I live in St. Mary's, Leonardtown to be exact. We have the same damn problem. More and more homes, apartments and businesses being built, but, nothing done about the infrastructure.

GregV814

moreover,( I like talking fancy) the aquifers are dropping substantially, lower than employee morale at Sneades in Lusby!!!

• Wow
Reactions: BOP

Hessian

moreover,( I like talking fancy) the aquifers are dropping substantially, lower than employee morale at Sneades in Lusby!!!
That circumstance...sometimes crosses my mind...I bet local media hasn't done a report on that in decades.

molly_21

I wonder how much growth there will be once Amazon finally moves to NOVA? There are already alot of people living in Southern Calvert/Mid-County St. Mary's who drive to DC to work for the Federal Government. If people move because of Amazon, I am sure they will be also tempted to make the commute from Southern MD (or other far away places, like Shepardstown, WV) because they can't afford to live in Arlington/Alexandria.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Y'all need to make up your goddamn minds. You don't want population growth but then bitch because Home Depot/Lowe's won't locate here because there's not enough people.

This is what you get electing the same people, or rather people from the same group, that were in charge during the runaway growth of the 1980s/90s just because they changed from Democrat to Republican.

Kinnakeet

Morning 7/29
*BOTH N & S lanes of Route 4 are blocked up in Lothian above the 260 (accident reconstruction)
*ONE lane is getting by on the Benedict bridge (Maintenance) ...Back up all the way PAST the Hallowing point Industrial park light (1+ mile)
Construction surges on more townhouses in PF while the lane expansion in PF bottles up local traffic.

They are weighing a Waldorfian Expansion between Lusby Town center and Northern Solomons...turning over thousands of acres into business & development zoning (Long before they even have a proposal for a new Solomon's Bridge {which is 42 years old btw)}

The pledges that 2020 would be the build out year...no more permits issued,...no more McMansions being thrown up...were made back in the mid 1990's-I CLEARLY remember that PUBLISHED pledge, and...hear we are. Roads utterly clogged and more building under way with more being proposed. Is this for the 'benefit' of the public? NEVER. This mess is making our lives miserable. I know of elderly citizens who are afraid to drive to go shopping or to the doctor's office because of aggressive/clogged traffic. Very sad Calvert. You promised to keep things under control...to have "Smart growth"...instead, you look like idiots, not caring about this county or its long-term citizens. Who is making the $$$$? Because that is what it's all about.

We have NO way to evacuate this county if something horrible happened at Calvert Cliffs...or even if a Cat 3 Hurricane was threatening...we couldn't get out if just two accidents occurred on our main arterials.
It appears that the people voted for the wrong liars

Kinnakeet

Y'all need to make up your goddamn minds. You don't want population growth but then bitch because Home Depot/Lowe's won't locate here because there's not enough people.

This is what you get electing the same people, or rather people from the same group, that were in charge during the runaway growth of the 1980s/90s just because they changed from Democrat to Republican.
Money talks bs walks all politicians are bought and paid for

nutz

And run all the mom/pop stores out. There is not any “Smart Growth”going into MD. SMC looks like a mirror of Waldorf and CC is trying to catch up because they want to be just like Waldorf. WTF is wrong with you people?
It wasn’t that long ago Calvert was looked upon as the best of the 3 with decent taxes and even reserves in the budget.

frequentflier

happy to be living
And run all the mom/pop stores out. There is not any “Smart Growth”going into MD. SMC looks like a mirror of Waldorf and CC is trying to catch up because they want to be just like Waldorf. WTF is wrong with you people?
It wasn’t that long ago Calvert was looked upon as the best of the 3 with decent taxes and even reserves in the budget.
The internet is already taking care of that!

Hessian

Just wait til the 2nd Bay Bridge span goes in in lower Calvert lol.
I honestly think that that is what spurred that development drive in lower Lusby. If they can change the zoning,...then a few can make MILLIONS if the bridge plan comes together 2-3-4 years down the road. It really is a scheme.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I honestly think that that is what spurred that development drive in lower Lusby. If they can change the zoning,...then a few can make MILLIONS if the bridge plan comes together 2-3-4 years down the road. It really is a scheme.
234 years is a long term investment, with the cliffs eroding will southern Calvert still be dry land?