Camper hot water Question

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
Friend has a camper, winterized it, trying to get it ready for this season.

Hot water heater works. Propane/electric sides work. Hot water inside the tank is hot when you let it out the pressure/realease valve on the front of the tank.

Coming out of the back of the 'hot' line, the first coupling is hot, 1 line is hot, and continues as far as I can reach...

2 valve tank, when you turn the hot water on, it never warms up coming out of the faucet.

If I turn the bottom line valve off, nothing happens. If I turn what I guess would be called the mix/bypass valve off, water quits coming out of the faucet within 5 seconds.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
I don't believe you have a mixing valve, your faucets mix the water. Make sure your valves are ALL open except the winterizing valve. The bottom valve should be water inlet to the heater and top valve should be water out of the heater. Without being there to "hands on" troubleshoot, I can't give you specific answers.....

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
This is what the back looks like..

Attachments

• HWH.jpg
    HWH.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 105

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
Have you checked the valve that is used to suck in the antifreeze for winterizing? Maybe it's still in the bypass position ???????? Make sure the one is closed between the hot and cold line but I'm sure you checked that already....bottom blue line valve open......seems as though you don't have flow through the HW lines for what ever reason....another shut off after the heater? the water hose on/pump on? Just throwing ideas out there

Last edited:

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
Have you checked the valve that is used to suck in the antifreeze for winterizing? Maybe it's still in the bypass position ???????? Make sure the one is closed between the hot and cold line but I'm sure you checked that already....bottom blue line valve open......

If I close that the valve between the red/blue lines, I lose all water coming out of the faucet on the hot side. It basically runs out what is left on that side....

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
If I close that the valve between the red/blue lines, I lose all water coming out of the faucet on the hot side. It basically runs out what is left on that side....

You don't have flow through the water heater for whatever reason......

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
You don't have flow through the water heater for whatever reason......

Hmmm... what the hell could cause that :confused:

There is this valve outside the fresh water tank, I don't think it would have anything do with it, would it?

Attachments

• FWTV.jpg
    FWTV.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 93

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
If you have pressure (pump on or hose feed on) you should have water coming out of the heater.....if your bypass is open(top valve in your 1st pic) and you have cold water coming out the HW faucet side then your lines are open........

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
If you have pressure (pump on or hose feed on) you should have water coming out of the heater.....if your bypass is open(top valve in your 1st pic) and you have cold water coming out the HW faucet side then your lines are open........

I'll pass on the info and let you know what they find out.

Thanks for the help so far :yay:

I'll pass on the info and let you know what they find out.

Thanks for the help so far :yay:

Looks to me like the bottom valve is in the off position from the picture. I would think that would keep cold water from coming in and forcing the hot water out. Try turning the "bypass" valve off. Crosswise to pipe? Turn the bottom one inline with pipe.

nutz

Looks to me like the bottom valve is in the off position from the picture. I would think that would keep cold water from coming in and forcing the hot water out. Try turning the "bypass" valve off. Crosswise to pipe? Turn the bottom one inline with pipe.

Doesn't it also look like the second valve is in an open (dump) position? Is that for water in or a winterizing (dump) valve?

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid

I honestly thought we tried that, and it didn't work. But apparently, she went home and tried that, and I got a text saying they got it all working now.... works like a champ!

I'm taking credit for scaring it :lmao:

Thanks for the help everyone :yay: