Can laser beams drive your dog crazy?

Bay_Kat

Tropical
Most dogs love it when the chase is on but for high prey drive dogs, chasing after their ‘prey’ can take on compulsive level of intensity.
Dogs with a high prey drive, or predatory chase drive, love to chase anything that moves such as tennis balls, rabbits, squirrels, cats, flies, bikes, or whatever other moving object catches their fancy.

This chase behavior is fun for dogs and gives them great pleasure when they catch their prey whether it is their favorite ball or the neighbor’s unfortunate cat.

This innate drive explains why dogs will often leave a small furry animal alone while it’s motionless or walking slowly, but the moment the furry creature runs, its game on.

This high drive behavior can be harnessed and used to train dogs by offering the ‘prey’ as a reward for good behavior. Dog handlers are often seen using a ball as a reward or allowing working dogs to find training targets such as a sleeve or decoy.

Dog trainers are well aware of the psychological consequences that dogs may suffer when they are never allowed to find what they’re looking for. Their reward (locating the prey) is vital to keeping them emotionally balanced and to avoiding the development of obsessive compulsive behaviors.

Is it safe for dogs to chase laser beams?

Which brings us to the question, should you let your dog chase a laser beam for exercise or fun?

The short answer is NO!

http://www.dogtube.us/can-laser-beams-drive-your-dog-crazy/

I use them with my cats and the dogs will come over and start chasing it, I had no idea it was a bad thing. I won't be doing that any more.