Can service members invest in pot companies?

TCROW

More than you might think as Anheuser-Busch InBev is forming a joint (my emphasis) venture with Tilray of Canada. "Tilray and Anheuser-Busch InBev will each put up $50 million in order to research potential cannabis-infused beverages that contain tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and/or cannabidiol (CBD) for the Canadian market." (source: Motley Fool)

Yea, Anheuser-Busch was specifically mentioned in the article.

This_person

Maybe a better question is, why are the stocks in question even available if they are illegal? After all doesn't the government (via the SEC) legally authorize their offering?

Because there's a memo at the Justice Dept that says, "y'all can't prosecute crimes for pot-related banking stuff, in direct violation of federal law". Jeff Sessions wanted to rescind that memo, and reportedly Mr. Trump said, "no, Jeff, don't do that."

In my view, that's the thing that Trump actually deserves to be impeached over, because he directly told the DoJ to not enforce the law - not "use prosecutorial discretion on a case-by-case basis" - "do not enforce federal law (for some)."

Last edited:

BOP

We had an email go out about some beer that had 420 in the name, that beer is sold in the Bowling Alley in the drill hall. I don't think it was infused with THC but that email said it was not to be drunk by active duty.

Of course some of the security people are fairly gullable, I caught them sending out a facebook hoax a while back and got chastised when I pointed out that this was a hoax.
"You don't work security! You don't understand!"

BernieP

Resident PIA
I was thinking that myself, if they are illegal shouldn't the NYSE, NASDAQ etc that trade them be shutdown?
the companies are legal (in the states they are incorporated). The sale and use of the "CDS" is not legal federally.
I don't know how the federal government, including DoD would view purchasing stock, when the word investing was used, I assumed a private invetment in say an LLC. The purchase of a significant onwership interest.

BernieP

Resident PIA
We had an email go out about some beer that had 420 in the name, that beer is sold in the Bowling Alley in the drill hall. I don't think it was infused with THC but that email said it was not to be drunk by active duty.

Of course some of the security people are fairly gullable, I caught them sending out a facebook hoax a while back and got chastised when I pointed out that this was a hoax.
Sweetwater IPA 420 has logn been on the market and is not infusted with THC. Though they may have to change their name.
Right now I think the only state with THC infused beer is Colorado. It can't be shipped across boarders.

In response to another thread (later), I know at one time Marijuana retailers could not have bank accounts (business), at least in a commercial bank becuase of federal law. Maybe a state chartered bank that was not with the FDIC could provide banking services.

The federal / state law disconnect never seems to benefit the federal employee.
When states were mandating employers extend the period of time a child had to covered by health insurance us, in the federal sector, were stuck with 21 years of age.