Cancer….

OysterToad

Is anyone on here undergoing treatment for cancer….been through treatment for cancer? I am starting a journey I am not really ready for. I am not looking for sympathy, just a conversation with those who have been or going through it.
Yes, I am an MPD.

PeoplesElbow

Is anyone on here undergoing treatment for cancer….been through treatment for cancer? I am starting a journey I am not really ready for. I am not looking for sympathy, just a conversation with those who have been or going through it.
Yes, I am an MPD.
Good luck, sorry I have not but my dad did and I watched that. In just the last few years alone there have been so many advances.

Hit it with everything possible, diet and exercise, supplements, and whatever treatment your doctor puts you on.

If you care about possibly losing your hair start washing with Neutrogena T Gell, smells like ass but it does help you keep your hair

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Wishing you luck. I haven't had to fight the bastard personally, but my wife of 30 years lost her battle in 2016. Her outlook on life throughout her illness was an inspiration. She fought a hard fight for 20 years and never complained or let it become her only focus. Live your life.

That being said, PE gives some good advice above. The advances in treatment have progressed tremendously in the last decade. I hope you find the right doctors and receive the treatment that works for you. Never give in. Many people beat the odds every day. I pray you're one of them.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I am a 6 1/2 years, plus 26 days, survivor of pancreatic cancer. Fortunately it was found at Stage IB, diagnosis on 14 May 2015 followed by surgery on 2 June, then I had mild chemo from mid-July to mid-December. I followed Doctors' orders and suggestions.

To make a long story short, here is an answer from my experience at the Quora website. I'm a most read answere about pancreatic from a survivor's viewpoint. This one had over 1.6 million reads.

Louise

I just finished 6 weeks of radiation treatment for Squamous Cell Carcinoma in the mouth. It has not been a fun experience...still dealing with side effects. I'm cancer free for the 2nd time (1st was in 1996 for malignant melanoma).

I hope you stay cancer free forever, now. Take care. :huggy:

nobody really

I need a nap
a friend was diagnosed with cancer, she had a rough year or so but is cancer free. she joined a cancer survivors support group when she was diagnosed with not so good prognosis. the other members' hopes, fears, anger, etc helped her. she still goes to help others. ask your provider or google. good luck, stay positive.

DogWhisperer

Yes, I am an MPD.
I've undergone chemo (once) and radiation twice. Had malignant melanoma, breast cancer, and prostate cancer, kind of a magnet. So far I've beat them all, knock on wood. get it cut out if possible, go through the treatments and get on with your life. Stay positive! I saw too many people getting down about the situation and I had to leave a temporary lodging facility where I was staying to go have some fun. You can DM me if you'd like and I can talk to you about it. It's scary and feels like someone kicked you in the belly at first but you gain a whole new perspective on life after facing it and hopefully beating it.

Last edited:

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Yes, I am an MPD.
I had stage 2 Breast cancer 12 years ago, went away after chemo and surgery. Snuck up on me again two years ago as stage 4. Since I've had the recurrence a couple of friends have gotten cancer and passed. My advice is to get some antidepressants, if you're anything like me your brain won't let loose from the cancer diagnosis until this.

musiclady

I had breast cancer, caught early. Lumpectomy, 33 rounds of radiation and 5 years of Tamoxifen. So far still cancer free. Six years out. They don't declare you "cured" until 10 years. Didn't need chemo, but I'm told that asking for a cold cap does wonders for retaining your hair and protecting your brain. Also joined a facebook group to have community support. Watch out about that though, there are many and some are definitely NOT supportive.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Yes, I am an MPD.

I don't have any advice, just wanted to wish you well. :huggy:

OysterToad

I've undergone chemo (once) and radiation twice. Had malignant melanoma, breast cancer, and prostate cancer, kind of a magnet. So far I've beat them all, knock on wood. get it cut out if possible, go through the treatments and get on with your life. Stay positive! I saw too many people getting down about the situation and I had to leave a temporary lodging facility where I was staying to go have some fun. You can DM me if you'd like and I can talk to you about it. It's scary and feels like someone kicked you in the belly at first but you gain a whole new perspective on life after facing it and hopefully eating it.
Thank you

OysterToad

I had breast cancer, caught early. Lumpectomy, 33 rounds of radiation and 5 years of Tamoxifen. So far still cancer free. Six years out. They don't declare you "cured" until 10 years. Didn't need chemo, but I'm told that asking for a cold cap does wonders for retaining your hair and protecting your brain. Also joined a facebook group to have community support. Watch out about that though, there are many and some are definitely NOT supportive.
Thank you

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Yes, I am an MPD.

I do wish you well in this fight.

Nobody is ever ready to be diagnosed with cancer, or any life-altering illness, especially one that may or may not end your life sooner than you thought.

Your best chance at fighting this, besides following treatment, is to also surround yourself with only positive people and keep your thoughts positive and uplifting.

daniellemill

I have my friend going through this procedure, it's not easy for him! But I support him and he will succeed!

Last edited:

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I had stage 2 Breast cancer 12 years ago, went away after chemo and surgery. Snuck up on me again two years ago as stage 4. Since I've had the recurrence a couple of friends have gotten cancer and passed. My advice is to get some antidepressants, if you're anything like me your brain won't let loose from the cancer diagnosis until this.
I was told that the surgery I had for the pancreatic, a modified Whipple where I kept all of my stomach, acts on the body like a TBI. It is because the abdomen has as many nerve cells as does the brain.

Mild depression, and insomnia, have dogged me since.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Is anyone on here undergoing treatment for cancer….
Revisiting after a while. No one is ever fully prepared being told they have cancer, nor hearing that a loved one has been diagnosed.

I believe I was better prepared than many as one of my Boy Scout leaders tutored me in Classic Roman Stoicism using "The Meditations" by Marcus Aurelius. I still have the copy he gave me about 52 years ago.

Another one in this vein was written by Epictetus, Marcus' tutor. It is called "The Art of Living."

Life will hammer at you, but a buffer will to be Gain Knowledge, about yourself, the disease, the treatments, possible outcomes, and tools to help you cope, as Stoicism has helped me.

I've lost both parents to cancer, 3 maternal side to pancreatic (grandmother, uncle and a male 1st cousin), another uncle, both sisters are survivors as is a niece. Another uncle and aunt are survivors. Just yesterday we got the news that a college classmate of my wife's, who we both loved as dearly as a sister, passed away from cancer. Another very close college friend, who is like another brother, is also a survivor.

Cancer will beat you up. Do not let the bastard win and beat you down.