Canker ??? Posting for friend

devinej

that's a great resource, stephen 0'grady. i wish he'd finish writing his series on underun heels, as that is the problem that my horse has.... so far he's written what NOT to do, but not what TO do

S

saddlesore

When the farrier says "it looks like canker", on what is he basing his diagnosis? Canker can be very serious. Is it on the hind foot? Does her horse have long heels? Strange to have that now, as it usually occurs in very wet conditions, and here we are in a drought! In any event, based on her farrier's opinion, she should have the vet out to do X-rays in order to obtain a definitive diagnosis. Antibiotics should be begun ASAP.

Keep us informed!

W

WhoCares

When in doubt call the vet. Honestly if my farrier told me that the horse had canker I would get the vet out ASAP.

TotalControl

Leap Of Faith Farm
saddlesore said:
When the farrier says "it looks like canker", on what is he basing his diagnosis? Antibiotics should be begun ASAP.

Keep us informed!

He just looked at it we have been soaking in epsom salt, Antibiotic, gauze pad, covering it ...

TotalControl

Leap Of Faith Farm
TotalControl said:
He just looked at it we have been soaking in epsom salt, Antibiotic, gauze pad, covering it ...

GOOD NEWS !!!!! The vet came out today (she was on vacation) IT is NOT Canker ... She believes it was an abscess that may have blown out or her mare stepped on something.. So she gave her some antibiotic pads to insert so she should be OK soon .... :yay: :yay:

fredsaid2

TotalControl said:
GOOD NEWS !!!!! The vet came out today (she was on vacation) IT is NOT Canker ... She believes it was an abscess that may have blown out or her mare stepped on something.. So she gave her some antibiotic pads to insert so she should be OK soon .... :yay: :yay:

I'll bet your friend is happy it's not the other! Good to hear she's recovering : )

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
if this friend is at where you are boarding, you all take great care of them so I seriously doubted it was canker. That stuff is NASTY...and never seems to dry up. It's also not something that comes on quick...it builds up over the course of months or years (at least what i've seen). I see lots of blow outs though. If it came out the bottom that's good. Rather than out the coronet band or middle of the hoof wall. Now that it's blown out, it will heal quickly. They hurt before they pop. Then when they drain, they begin to feel better because the pressure is released and draining.

How were yours after the league ride? LeRoy got a small blow out this past weekend I'm guessing from a stone bruise, that never made him take an off step. Te was a tad ouchy for a few days, but she's fine now. Raven's tough little black feet never changed.

Last edited:

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
:howdy: Happyappy. Warlock and Spunky are fine from the ride at the LOMH. I did front shoe them for that ride. They both have tough arab hooves and would of been fine without shoes (other than chips from creek stones). Now if only I could sell mine - no one has even come to see him :coffee: . What are ya goning to NC for?

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
persimmoncf said:
:howdy: Happyappy. Warlock and Spunky are fine from the ride at the LOMH. I did front shoe them for that ride. They both have tough arab hooves and would of been fine without shoes (other than chips from creek stones). Now if only I could sell mine - no one has even come to see him :coffee: . What are ya goning to NC for?
I'm not, LeBeBe is. His new home is in NC. His new owner is picking him up this weekend.

Gotta love them Arab feetsies!

TotalControl

Leap Of Faith Farm
happyappygirl said:
if this friend is at where you are boarding, you all take great care of them so I seriously doubted it was canker

Yes it is one of the Arab mares .. Ladora.. Rocky's feet are ok but amira seems still alittle soar in the left front ..touchy on the rocks .. Z wants to put shoes on her but she has never had shoes on .. Won't that screw up her feet???

mygoldnhorse

Cowgirl Up
TotalControl said:
Yes it is one of the Arab mares .. Ladora.. Rocky's feet are ok but amira seems still alittle soar in the left front ..touchy on the rocks .. Z wants to put shoes on her but she has never had shoes on .. Won't that screw up her feet???

I would think really hard about whether you want to start putting shoes on her. You have had her for well over a year and if she hasn't been ouchy until just recently I would suspect the rocky terrain at the League may have caused a slight stone bruise.

TotalControl

Leap Of Faith Farm
mygoldnhorse said:
I would think really hard about whether you want to start putting shoes on her.

:howdy: MGH

I know that's what I told Z ..So I don't think we willl she is 15 and as far as wwe know has never had shoes and was an endurance horse..I think also the next time R.V. does rocky's feet I won't be getting borem (SP??) He said I don't need them and they cost to much for my pocket anyway...Even with a Family discount :whistle: :whistle:

I am board sitting here waiting for my mom :jameo: thank god for wireless :lmao: :lmao: